Why become a member? ×

Budget Pron.

paul h

[b]Fender Aerodyne.[/b]

With added ashtrays which I am sure most of you will hate. I also put a NOS 80's USA pickup in the bridge. It's an alnico one and far superior to the original ceramic. I love this bass but just haven't been happy with the way it plays for a while. I am thinking about selling it so I thought I would break it out and do a little set up on it. Lighter strings, a neck shim (it is a fender) and a few truss rod tweaks later and it plays great and I want to keep it! (Sorry Mr. Fudge...will let you know!) It positively nails that "Fender" sound.....whatever that is! :)

[attachment=4099:aerodyne.jpg]

[b]Squier Vintage Modified Jazz[/b]

Everybody has got one of these on here. I might have been the second or third to get one though...so there! This one has some active EMGs hammered into place. I say hammered because they were slightly bigger than the stock pickups and I did a poo job of installing them. The bass is much "punchier" now, but it has lost a little bit of clarity up the dusty end. It sounds to me like my new pickups are ceramic, and the old ones were alnico. I have nothing to back this up I'm just going on the sound. I will probably put the original pickups back in at some point.....or maybe get some US Fenders.

[attachment=4100:squier.jpg]

[b]Yamaha BB614[/b]

My baby at the moment. I think the electronics are great and it plays really well. I have just put some new Yamaha H4030 strings on it which are the strings it comes shipped with. The guy at Yamaha reckons they are made by D'addario. I tried it with some D'addario, and some of those Roberts ones, but in my opinion these Yammy strings suit it really well. It's got a lovely stainless steel strings + active electronics punch to it. The P pickup soloed is just damn funky. Good bass.

[attachment=4101:bb614.jpg]

That's it. they are all scratched chipped and mucked around with....i believe it will eventually be called "mojo". I reckon they cover all my requirements. Passive, active pickups and active EQ. However, I am still gassing for an active P bass special in sunburst with a maple board and tort plate.

paul.

Edited by paul h

[quote]Personally, I really like the look of the Aerodyne with the trays/covers![/quote]

[quote]+1[/quote]

I really thought I would be the only one! Cheers.

Here is a quick and dirty sample of all three basses. Aerodyne first followed by the Squier and finishing with the BB614. Terrible playing as always, but it will give an idea of what they sound like. I chose to slap in this clip because IMHO a slap sound is something a lot of people struggle to get with budget basses, whereas a useable fingerstyle or pick sound tends to be more available at a lower price. IMHO. (Reapeated that bit to limit the arguments!)

One thing to note is that the BB614 is the only one with new strings. Also I will express my surprise at the mids on the Squier. Hard maple body and maple fretboard would suggest to me less mids than the Aerodyne which has a basswood body and a rosewood board. Turns out I was wrong. I also went through my Zoom B2 with a bit of noise reduction, a bit of reverb and the limiter switched on.

Personally, I love the sound of all three. Especially looking at the Cost Vs. Tone ratio!

paul.

[attachment=4129:3basses.mp3]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='paul h' post='104221' date='Dec 14 2007, 10:31 AM']I really thought I would be the only one! Cheers.

Here is a quick and dirty sample of all three basses. Aerodyne first followed by the Squier and finishing with the BB614.[/quote]

has the Aerodyne got a PJ config?

sounds like it still gets that Jazz sound to the popped notes on the D and G, which my PJ basses don't- they sound more like the 2nd(strangely) and 3rd clips.

Edited by SJA