Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EMG JV vs. JVX

moonbass

Pretty much that really! I'm looking to change the pickups in my 75' reissue jazz and Jaco signature fretless as they're both too bloomin' noisy for recording.
I've used the JVs on an old bass of mine years ago and loved them.
I've seen on the EMG website that it looks like they only make the JVX now, but you don't seem to be able to buy them in the UK.
Have they changed, or is it just a name change? What's the dilly-o?
Andy

Yeah, I saw that; they do sound great! I did a bit more digging on the EMG website and looks like they are pitching the JVX as higher output, slightly more modern sounding than the JVs.
As always the problem is there's no way of A-B testing these pickups, so always gonna be hard to know which to go for.
I think, as the '75 Reissue is a very bright and lively instrument, I'll go for the JVXs if they're available... will have to ring the distributor to see if anyone over actually has any though!
A.

Well, the UK distributer for EMG says they haven't yet shipped any JVX's into the country yet, and it's an 8 week lead time.
The RRP is just shy of £200, so they sound significantly more expensive than the JVs (unless shops are massively discounting them).
But they do sound sexy...
Hmm,
A.

Damn you WOT! Now I've gone and accidentally purchased them!
Still, I reckon it's better than having a £1000+ bass sitting around not getting used 'cos it buzzes when you go near electricity...
If I get my act together I'll put some A-B sound clips up when I put the little buggers in.
Now, if I can just fix the bent tin can bridge that keeps falling apart... Fender; never knowingly quality controlled, but you gotta love 'em...
A.

• 2 years later...

Old old thread, but if folks are still interested I bought a set of JVXs off Moonbass to put in a Mexi-jazz, and was able to A-B test them with JVs in an American Standard Jazz.

Personally I found the JVs had more character and complexity while the JVXs cut through the live mix better. YMMV.

Haven't tried the J set so can't offer any opinions, sorry.

Now, who knows what Jazz Bass pickups I need to sound like Brian Ritchie[s] tuning up[/s]? :)

Yes, I'd agree with Nige. (Although it seems a long time ago now!) I liked the JVXs, and I did A-B them against the stock pups in the '75 reissue. They were much brighter and clearer; more even sounding and best of all entirely silent under stage lights, etc. But as you'd expect they don't match the passive warmth of the Fenders, so considerably change the character of the bass. You pays your money you takes yer choice.

I have to say, I remember the old EMG JVs being much warmer sounding, and I would definitely choose them over the new JVXs for a sound closer to passive jazz pickups, but if you're after a more modern sound the definitely go for the Xs.
A