Why become a member? ×

URGENT help required

Rumble

[quote name='solofunkyjazz' post='919450' date='Aug 9 2010, 11:54 AM']It's a shame you can't try cabs in a gig situation, 'cos that's when you use them.

I always found the 2 Epifani 4x10's that I had to be 'muffled'. They were quite mid shy but very warm sounding, so I don't think that'd be your best choice.

The Aguilar GS cabs are similar, mid shy but warm sounding.

The Aguilar DB cabs are I think warm but with a more pronounced mid focus, and that would be my recommendation. They're also more reasonably priced.

The best guy to ask is Ken Jung on talkbass, he's tried pretty much every cab/amp combination on the planet.

Most people will only recommend what they use themselves, and if they've been duped into buying something overpriced and 'boutique' then they'll try and talk you into that.

Try experimenting with your EQ settings.

I've tried loads of cabs over the last few years. Bergs are way over priced for what they are, and have a 'sound' that if you like it then great, if not you have to try and get rid of it. The same goes for Epifani.[/quote]

I have to say, this is spot on advice for nearly every 'what cabinet?' scenario on Basschat.

It is all down to personal taste.

IMO, the Aguilar DBs are more mid focussed, quite a 'rock' sound, but excellent for anything requiring articulation. They bring out the sound of your bass/amp very well. Huge and warm low end, nice mids, clean and warm/sweet highs.

Id like to try 2 x GS112 soon, as Ive heard the low end is absolutely awesome.

Berg HS210? Ive tried the HS410, and its a POWERHOUSE of a one cab solution. I almost want another....in fact I do. BUT, there is something about the Aguilar cabinets that screams 'my tone' every time I plug in. I wll admit, the HS410 was very clean and precise. I wouldnt say it had 'vintage warmth' though. The tweeter had to be tamed somewhat, whereas the Aguilar tweeter can quite happily be on half way and still sound sweet.

+1 on asking Kjung, but also be aware, as he will state, he likes a bright/punchy tone for that modern J bass sound. Check out his youtube videos.

I'd say that before you completely discount a Schroeder at least give one a go. The 1212 cabs are plenty loud enough to be used on their own so if you find you like them then they may be the best solution for you.

There's loads of people who say they lack low end and are too mid-heavy, but then there's also tons of people who have been quite happily using them for years and love the sound they produce, myself included (i have the 1212r, no idea if it gives more bass than the neo ones).

I wouldn't call them bass-shy, there's a surprising amount of low-end in there for such a small cab and i haven't found it lacking at all. On the gigs where we have had a good, clear on-stage sound it can do a very modern, clinical sound with a very focused tight low end.
If you need to compete with a loud drummer and really ramp up the mids it is totally at home there too.

I think they're a great match for a Markbass head too btw

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='919520' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:47 PM']there's a surprising amount of low-end in there for such a small cab[/quote]

Definitly. Ive done over 200 gigs in total with my Schroeder cabs and Markbass heads and ive never not had enough grunt to get me out in to quite big rooms.
Low end seems to be more prominent 20ft+ away from the cab IME, and thats where its needed. Close up they are quite middy but thats a good thing as it helps you hear yourself.

They do definitely lack extended low end though. I was shocked at how much they were lacking when i got to use a 410 last year. Still, if you want small and loud they do the job.

Here's a thought - what about the Schroeder 1515L? Same size and weight as the 1212L, but more bottom end. Lots of low mid punch, but IME, shifts it down the frequency scale, too. Definitely a single cab solution - it'll go cataclysmically loud. Works for me. Depends on how set you are on 12s, tho. Oh, and there's no tweeter.

Thanks for all your input, folks.

I've taken the plunge (?sp) and will be giving Flanker's Epi 410UL a go. If that doesn't work out, I might just have to give the Agi's another shot now that I have a more 'neutral' amp in the MB. I have to say though, that I'm quite hopeful for the Epi. Just having the larger box should make a fair difference. I'll let you know when I've managed to use it in anger!

Thanks again.