Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Someone buy this Burman

A 40Kg combo, pickup only from North Yorkshire ... hardly surprising it went for so little.

As a side-note, I'll be playing a reasonably serious pub gig this evening. My entire outfit (bass, amp, cab, pedal-board, the lot) will weigh about 20Kg, and will almost certainly sound better than that Burman. I'll be playing Alleva Coppolo --> Radial Tonebone --> Orange Bass Terror --> Barefaced Midget.

That's what 30 years can do.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='917767' date='Aug 7 2010, 10:12 AM']A 40Kg combo, pickup only from North Yorkshire ... hardly surprising it went for so little.[/quote]
It's a valve guitar combo and no heavier than other amps of that period including Marshalls and Fenders. Just doesn't have the same nostalgia value.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='917767' date='Aug 7 2010, 10:12 AM']As a side-note, I'll be playing a reasonably serious pub gig this evening. My entire outfit (bass, amp, cab, pedal-board, the lot) will weigh about 20Kg, and will almost certainly sound better than that Burman. I'll be playing Alleva Coppolo --> Radial Tonebone --> Orange Bass Terror --> Barefaced Midget.[/quote]
Them's fightin' words. :) Your kit probably isn't going to compete with anything 30 years from now, either so its a moot point. Burmans more than hold their own against other valve amps IMHO, including my V8.

Just cos you're on the other side of the world you think you can talk tough to me and get away with it ... :)

Seriously, Steve, in any London pub do you really think a vintage valve combo (with the volume set to '1') is actually going to sound better than a rig that's been purposely selected for playing London pubs?

I should mention that I put this rig together to [b]replace [/b]all the vintage valve gear that I used to use! I had WEM and Selmer and Dynacord and ...

Even if I was a guitarist. I'd struggle to justify taking a vintage valve 2x12 combo to a pub gig. My slide guitarist does exactly that, and has done for the last 15 months. Even he's beginning to think he's taken a wrong turning.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='917941' date='Aug 7 2010, 01:20 PM']Just cos you're on the other side of the world you think you can talk tough to me and get away with it ... :)

Seriously, Steve, in any London pub do you really think a vintage valve combo (with the volume set to '1') is actually going to sound better than a rig that's been purposely selected for playing London pubs?

I should mention that I put this rig together to [b]replace [/b]all the vintage valve gear that I used to use! I had WEM and Selmer and Dynacord and ...

Even if I was a guitarist. I'd struggle to justify taking a vintage valve 2x12 combo to a pub gig. My slide guitarist does exactly that, and has done for the last 15 months. Even he's beginning to think he's taken a wrong turning.[/quote]

No offense but burman stuff really is in a different league to the stuff you listed, i'd personally take it over your rig any day of the week if i was going for a cranked tone i mean if you can't crank the burman theres not gonna be a chance in hell you'll be able to play your orange and midget combo loud.

Also you need to start playing some proper venues if people complain when you play above 1!

Funny how things change and we forget the best and the worst, the Burman was the next step up from a Marshall and in the 70's we thought that the Wem Selmer etc was just crap, now the later are cult, hell even the Carlsboro is up there :) Oh and I forgot Orange, only ever used for Top of the Pops.
Since getting a Burman, I haven't used my V8.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='917767' date='Aug 7 2010, 10:12 AM']A 40Kg combo, pickup only from North Yorkshire ... hardly surprising it went for so little.[/quote]

40Kg my arse. I have one identical to this, except that it's in immaculate condition, and it weighs 53 Kg. Despite the fact that it's a guitar combo, it does sound extremely good with bass.