Why become a member? ×

Tuner upgrade for an SG

Jono Bolton

This is one for those who play guitar as well as bass. I've recently bought an Epiphone G400 for a very reasonable £80. The seller had upgraded the neck pickup to a Gibson and stuck a set of Grover Machineheads on it too. However, the Grovers are awful, I need to retune every 15 minutes or so. It could also do with a decent set up, but while the strings are off I want to get shot of the awful tuners that are on it just now. Does anyone have any recommendations for new keys that would give rock solid tuning stability for Gibson-style guitars?

Really surprised about the Grovers. I've still got the original set on my Martin D28 and it stays in tune for looooooooooong periods of time. I can take it out of the case after weeks of non-playing and it's still in tune. I've had the guitar from new in 1979 and it's just fantastic. Are the tuners definitely Grovers? Is 'Grover' stamped on them? I've never heard anything bad said about them. However, I've also never seen the subject raised on this forum so who knows! :)

[quote name='Hutton' post='910930' date='Jul 31 2010, 08:04 AM']Really surprised about the Grovers. I've still got the original set on my Martin D28 and it stays in tune for looooooooooong periods of time. I can take it out of the case after weeks of non-playing and it's still in tune. I've had the guitar from new in 1979 and it's just fantastic. Are the tuners definitely Grovers? Is 'Grover' stamped on them? I've never heard anything bad said about them. However, I've also never seen the subject raised on this forum so who knows! :)[/quote]

+1, I've got Grovers in my SG Junior & they're absolutely solid - never had a problem with them & they do get hammered. Though like Hutton I know they do seem to get a bad press but not in my experience.

Might not be the tuners, if you do a lot of string bending, the strings might be sticking in the nut or the bridge, try lubricating the strings (wd-40, fast-fret, other stuff) before you spend out on tuners. I did it years ago with my hofner, only to find it was just sticking.
If it is the tuners, I've always found wilkinsons to be cheap, and reliable.