Why become a member? ×

Cramp!

Sarah5string

I'm learning tapping atm in my lesson and finding that I'm prone to cramp while I'm building my stength up. I'm doing a good 20 min warm up but it's just building up the strength required for tap at the mo so keep getting it.
Does anyone have any advice or tips? Is it best to play through it or rest?

[quote name='risingson' post='909700' date='Jul 29 2010, 10:00 PM']Potassium from bananas and suppliments and sodium choride (salt) as well as good warming up. I was prone to it when I first started gigging![/quote]
Cranberries/cranberry juice - also supposed to help circulation, so should help.

[quote name='silddx' post='909717' date='Jul 29 2010, 10:10 PM']If you get any pain in your hands or wrists, stop immediately and rest. Otherwise you risk making something acute into something chronic.[/quote]
Absolutely agree with silddx.
At my first lesson last week my tutor pointed out that I don't always use the best or most appropriate part of my finger to fret a note (I think he was being diplomatic and was basically say 'you're doing it all wrong ars3hole'). In changing my hand shape, only slightly to get a better fretting finger, I encountered a pain shooting up from my wrist to my thumb, I stopped playing for 3 days. I've since adapted my hand shape slightly again and the pain hasn't returned.

As with anything, playing an instrument or playing sport, if you encounter pain it's for a reason, it's your body telling you to stop. Stretching, exercises, supplements and changes to technique can or may help but can take time. In the mean time if it hurts step away from your instrument.

Lecture over :)