Why become a member? ×

Fender Serial Numbers

Sparky

Does anyone know if there's an online resource where I can type in the serial number of my MIJ Jazz to find out what model it is? It's a relitively inexpensive reissue from 1996 but I don't know of which model. Just be interested to find out. Also, would like to replace the scratch-plate and am wondering whether all jazz's are standard shapes - I can't imagine they are? ...and if that's the case and there are different shapes, I need to know the model so I can order the right plate.

suggestions anyone? thanks in advance. sparky.

go [url="http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php"][u]here[/u][/url] and you should find all you need to know about the age. There was a dating resource I found that allows you to type in the serial number, but i think the database it looks at is just the same as the fender site.

In theory the pickguards should be the same across the range, but there's only one way to find out.

I had a great experience with WD Music, who actually took the time to send me an outline of a P-bass pickguard on paper to see if it would fit the body I had. Failing that, they do a custom pickguard service where you supply them with a tracing of your current pickguard and they make it for you.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100771' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:17 AM']go [url="http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php"][u]here[/u][/url] and you should find all you need to know about the age. There was a dating resource I found that allows you to type in the serial number, but i think the database it looks at is just the same as the fender site.

In theory the pickguards should be the same across the range, but there's only one way to find out.[/quote]

Thanks John. That looks like a useful site. Thing is, I already know how old the bass is - 1996 - cause it's printed on the anniversary sticker stuck on the back of the headstock, and it's when I bought is (new). I'd just be interested to find out which model it's a reissue of ie. 60's or 70's & the exact year. Maybe I could just post pics and one of the BC 'Fender-heads' will be able to tell me straight away Exactly what it is?! :)

That's good to know that the scratchplates should be standard, I'll go ahead and order one as soon as I have the time.

[quote]neepheid Posted Today, 11:20 AM
I had a great experience with WD Music[/quote]

Again, thanks for the tip Neepheid. I've just checked them out and seems there's more choice than I'd invisaged. I probably Will need to find out my model - they're offering plates for 3 different shaped jazz's! I'll get on the case! thanks again. sparky

If it's got block inlays, bound neck and bullet truss rod it'll be a 75 RI. If it has dot inlays and a 4 bolt neck it'll be a 62 RI.

Edit: Bear in mind that the RI's weren't exact copies of the originals, and there's certainly a difference in pickup spacing on the 62 RI and the original, so make sure you get a guard appropriate for a reissue.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='100827' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:26 PM']If it's got block inlays, bound neck and bullet truss rod it'll be a 75 RI. If it has dot inlays and a 4 bolt neck it'll be a 62 RI.

Edit: Bear in mind that the RI's weren't exact copies of the originals, and there's certainly a difference in pickup spacing on the 62 RI and the original, so make sure you get a guard appropriate for a reissue.[/quote]
Thanks Musky. It's got dot inlays but I don't know what a 4 bolt neck is. It has a piece of copper wire running from the bridge pickup to under the bridge - earthing wire? and the headstock looks like this:
[attachment=4006:800px_Fe...eadstock.jpeg]
...62 RI??

[quote name='Sparky' post='100790' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:40 AM']Thanks John. That looks like a useful site. Thing is, I already know how old the bass is - 1996 - cause it's printed on the anniversary sticker stuck on the back of the headstock, and it's when I bought is (new). I'd just be interested to find out which model it's a reissue of ie. 60's or 70's & the exact year. Maybe I could just post pics and one of the BC 'Fender-heads' will be able to tell me straight away Exactly what it is?! :huh:[/quote]

sorry - i should really have read the post all the way to the bottom! :)
I read the words online resource and serial number and thought "aah - guess the age! whoops.

Good luck

[quote name='Sparky' post='100845' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:47 PM']Thanks Musky. It's got dot inlays but I don't know what a 4 bolt neck is. It has a piece of copper wire running from the bridge pickup to under the bridge - earthing wire? and the headstock looks like this:
[attachment=4006:800px_Fe...eadstock.jpeg]
...62 RI??[/quote]

Dot inlays = 62 RI. It shoud also have a square metal plate with four bolts on on the back of the bass to secure the neck.

A 75 will have a rounded triangular shaped plate with just three bolts doing the same job.

[quote name='Musky' post='100934' date='Dec 7 2007, 02:54 PM']Dot inlays = 62 RI. It shoud also have a square metal plate with four bolts on on the back of the bass to secure the neck.

A 75 will have a rounded triangular shaped plate with just three bolts doing the same job.[/quote]

Thanks a lot Musky. The metal plate is square. It's a 62RI. So, if I'm gonna order a new scratch plate for the bass, what do I order?
[url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Pickguards/Fender_Basses"]http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/category/Pickguards/Fender_Basses[/url]
Fender Jazz Bass US Vintage, Jazz Bass Mexican or Jazz Bass US Standard? My bass doesn't fall into any of these categories, it's Japanese - but would it be a vintage shape (cause it's a RI) or a standard shape? All the pickguards on this site range between £15-30...
alternatively, this place is selling them for a fiver, but there's no choice in shape. All I want is a 3 ply black white black for my jazz!!!
[url="http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pickguards__electric_guitar.html"]http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pic...ric_guitar.html[/url]
what do you rekon? does more expensive = better?

Scratchplates are definitely not all the same. There was a thread on this very subject two or three weeks ago I think, even MIJ's are different from each other.

I think the idea of trace it onto paper and send it to the supplier would be the only way, and also watch the cut-outs for the pickups, on some models the bridge pickup is smaller.

Yup Japanese 62 reissue if it's got the external earth strap and that headstock. The problem with japanese reissues is that they are not exact replicas, so there may be tiny differences in the fitting . If you bought a reissue pickguard there would be no telling whether it would fit.

Japanes reissues tend not to have the correct holes for pickup covers or thumbrests either (as many don't come with them) so you'd need to consider that if you were trying to make it look authentic. The WD reissue pickguards are for 70s basses, as as a result have the thumbrest holes in the wrong place for a 60s bass.

However, I used to own a japanese 75 reissue Jazz and I ordered a US vintage pickguard from WD Music. It fitted near perfectly with a little bit of filing to make it fit neatly against the control plate.

I found this website

[url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx[/url]

It does seem to work - it correctly identified the years my MIA jazz was manufactured (which I knew already - just need to remove the neck to see if there is a year on the neck base) and also where it was manufactured (which I didn't know)

:)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='100771' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:17 AM']go [url="http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php"][u]here[/u][/url] and you should find all you need to know about the age. There was a dating resource I found that allows you to type in the serial number, but i think the database it looks at is just the same as the fender site.

In theory the pickguards should be the same across the range, but there's only one way to find out.[/quote]

Interesting link. Last time I looked my US precision up on Fenders site it claimed '79 as the build year. - the serial is S8 then 5 digits. Now the site says either '77 or '78. :)

[quote name='jacko' post='102122' date='Dec 10 2007, 01:12 PM']Interesting link. Last time I looked my US precision up on Fenders site it claimed '79 as the build year. - the serial is S8 then 5 digits. Now the site says either '77 or '78. :)[/quote]

Dating is an imperfect science, especially when it comes to Fenders. I know of Fenders with S9, but were made in 1983.

Edited by s_u_y_*