Why become a member? ×

Getting my first Maple FB Jazz.

dave_bass5

Cheers Rich.

Well i do have some Chromes that will go on at some point, but not just yet.

Im happy with the tone. And once i get the Sadowsky pre going im sure i wont notice any difference, just a great tone.

The bass is lovely but over the past hour ive noticed two frets have a small gap under them. It seems its where the slot has been cut a bit too long. Not a big deal but ill see what the retailer says tomorrow.
Ive already got a thread going about them here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96087&pid=902458&st=0&#entry902458"]QC issues[/url]

Im also finding the fret ends are rubbing the base of my fretting finger but thats probably because of bad technique and being used to the vintage frets no the CVJ.

I think if this si all that wrong with it then ill keep it. its always a gamble when ordering on line and i really do need this bass so i dont want to send yet another one back. I've already sent two basses back this week.

Ive got a black pickguard coming, once thats on ill post some pics. No point posting just stock ones.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='902496' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:02 PM']Isn't maple a soft wood? Hence why you don't see maple fretlesses very often.[/quote]

Yeah it's a soft wood, but it's also quite dense and I think it's this quality of it that makes it feel hard I think.
I also think maple feels hard, even tho it's soft. Go figure. :)

+1 to the DR strings - fantastic feel, very expressive and they last for ages.

Can I play devils advocate and say have you tried a graphite neck ?

Huge attack, great sustain - and with todays powerful eq - i.e., a Sadowsky pre - you can dial in warmth when required.

Look no further than Status.........

Hope you get on well with your maple fingerboard

Well, after just one gig im convinced i made the right choice.
Lots of tight low end but each note was as clear as a bell. This bass has a lot more tone than my old DJ5 and HW1 and i found i was using the bridge pup more than i ever have.
I can certainly hear a huge difference between this and my CVJ, its like night and day.

I also like the stock strings so might go with another set of these before putting my XL's on. I do have the Chromes ready but cant see me using flats just yet. I love the chunky tone im getting (that might be down to the Sadowsky pre though).

Here's a pic i took earlier of it with a Black PG. Im not 100% on this look and i might go back to the tort. Plus the Tort fits a bit better.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='905008' date='Jul 25 2010, 06:08 PM']Well, after just one gig im convinced i made the right choice.
Lots of tight low end but each note was as clear as a bell. This bass has a lot more tone than my old DJ5 and HW1 and i found i was using the bridge pup more than i ever have.
I can certainly hear a huge difference between this and my CVJ, its like night and day.

I also like the stock strings so might go with another set of these before putting my XL's on. I do have the Chromes ready but cant see me using flats just yet. I love the chunky tone im getting (that might be down to the Sadowsky pre though).

Here's a pic i took earlier of it with a Black PG. Im not 100% on this look and i might go back to the tort. Plus the Tort fits a bit better.

[/quote]

Lovely grain! Nice bass Dave, I'm glad you like it :)

Cheers Guys.

I got my PG from WD music. I ordered it a 2.45 on thursday and it arrived on friday. £16 all in. I had a reply from Sims and they want £44+ £3.5 postage so i went with the cheaper option just in case i didnt like black. But yes, i might put the Tort back on and see how i feel about it.

Only slightly disappointing aspect was the routing under the PG. My HW1 didnt have any and looked good without a PG, not much chance of this going naked.
There's even a big round hole for some reason.

Just one more.

Edited by dave_bass5

Cheers Rich.

The black PG was already on the cards due to me getting the Black bass so i figured i would still get it, and if i didn't like it i would put in on the CVJ.

Im still undecided but as im going to sell the CVJ i might keep both PG's and alternate when the mood takes me.

Its a shame the headstock has the large area of grain on it but i can live with that.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='902505' date='Jul 22 2010, 11:07 PM']Congrats on your new bass, Dave. Now all you need is a set of DR Fatbeams to make it complete. You won't believe the difference in the sound! Do we get to see some pics of this new beast of yours? :)[/quote]

Ive never used DR strings, but i was just looking in to the Fatbeams when i came across the Black Beauties. I think i might try a set of these next. If they last as long as they are supposed to i dont mind spending the extra.