Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-3 or SVT-7??

Anton346

Hey guys,

Could do with your opinions. Looking to invest in an Ampeg head but can't make my mind up between the SVT-7 or the SVT-3.

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt7pro/index.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt7pro/index.html[/url]

[url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt3pro/index.html"]http://www.ampeg.com/products/pro/svt3pro/index.html[/url]

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Do you need 450 watts or 1000 watts? That's not really comparing apples and apples!

I have never heard an SVT 7 but in 10 years of playing an SVT 3PRO I never found it lacking in tone or power in 8 or 4 ohm mode. Get good cabs (mine were Mesa Boogie) and the SVT3 will be great... but not if you think 1000 watts is what you need!

If you want a grindy, tubey tone - get the 3pro.
But if you want clean, light and powerfull (for me 1000W is to much) amp with ampeg favour - buy 7pro
You CAN'T BEAT the all tube preamp with tube driven mosfet poweramp with only one tube at front and solid state class D PA.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='897993' date='Jul 18 2010, 12:49 PM']....It's major Grindy though and it doesn't do clean at all....[/quote]
Mine did!!

Master up full, Gain at about 12 o'clock, Tube knob at about 3 o'clock and control the volume from the bass. The volume control on my Lakland used to be between 3 and 4.

Edited by chris_b

Hey guys,

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

I'm currently using a SWR 550x but it just doesn't cut it volume wise through an 8ohm 4x10 which makes me think that the SVT-3 definitely won't.
However my 8x10 is 4ohm so the SVT-7 is gonna be earthmovingly loud. Although the occasion will probably call for it if i'm taking an 8x10.

[quote name='Anton346' post='898129' date='Jul 18 2010, 03:50 PM']Hey guys,

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

I'm currently using a SWR 550x but it just doesn't cut it volume wise through an 8ohm 4x10 which makes me think that the SVT-3 definitely won't.
However my 8x10 is 4ohm so the SVT-7 is gonna be earthmovingly loud. Although the occasion will probably call for it if i'm taking an 8x10.[/quote]

If the SWR is struggling the SVT-3 will definitely not be able to give you more volume.

7 all the way I reckon, or go for a Genz Shuttle 9.0 which is 900W at 4 ohms and super light.

Ok,

Had a good few days going through it so feel like i've suitably figured it out enough to comment on it.

**Note that I'm using the SVT-7 through an Ampeg SVT810E Cab**

Initially, managed to get a real deep sound which is great but took a bit of tweaking to pick out the definition
of the higher strings and frequencies. A bit of mid boosting in the right area sorted that though, however there
was a good level of boost needed to achieve the right amount of clarity. It really captures the warm Ampeg tone
though and gives your sound plenty of growl (playing a musicman may of contributed to that as well however!)

With having an active EQ on my bass, i've had to use the -15db button so that the amp doesn't peak. Bit of a shame
as it means i wouldn't be able to get the full amount of volume from the amp without causing damage to it. However,
its more than loud enough for the majority of scenarios - in fact its very loud!! Rated at 1000watts for 4ohms you
shouldn't even need monitoring!!

I like its simplicity - eq, compression, low boost, high boost, gain, etc - all easy to dial in and get something you like.
And one of the greatest things is that its so light! It fits in a 2u rackspace so doesn't take up to much room either.

This amp is brilliant for the musician that regularly gigs and is having to haul around gear a lot. But on top of being lightweight,
its an amp that will also get you the classic tube ampeg sound.

The only real downsides to it is that it may not be varied enough in regards to tone shaping for bassists that like their 10-band eq's,
etc. Great piece of kit from Ampeg though!