Why become a member? ×

Life is looking very Orange

algmusic

I'm thinking on getting the 15inch Orange to replace the Markbass 1x15.. so I can use my Orange sp210 for smaller gigs and the add the 15 for the big gigs..

In my head I'd love ad200, then later 410... So I can chop and change with the sp210... Ideally I'd like the 4x10 (+15) for big stuff and the sp210 for the small gigs or maybe just sp210 and the 410..

My only problem is I'd love the ad200, but it's too heavy (I work/gig in london alot and can use the tube with my current rig, which great and saves the pennies rather than driving).

My MarkBass LM2 is great for that portability, but I've fallen for the orangey/tubey vibe, but need flexibility.. so i'm thinking a pre tube/solid power amp with lots of power tubey, like and light .. but not sure about the terror, I as i've been told it's not that flexible (it has one good sound).... I was thinking the Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 or the Mark tube..

I'm not sure if I'm just trying to much variety out of one set up. Maybe two amps might just be the key. The SP210 drew me to orange now.. I love the orange vibe even over ampeg, which I've used for years and also love

So... deep breath

Any thoughts other than winning the lottery and buying the lot?

[quote name='yorick' post='894701' date='Jul 14 2010, 01:45 PM']Just buy the Terror Bass head... less than £500, 2x 12AX7'S in the preamp, same controls as the AD200 :). Simple![/quote]

I see you have one.. and I take it you're happy then.. I'm desperate the put a decent amount of power in sp210..

[quote name='yorick' post='894701' date='Jul 14 2010, 01:45 PM']Just buy the Terror Bass head... less than £500, 2x 12AX7'S in the preamp, same controls as the AD200 :). Simple![/quote]

+1

The MB might have the warmth but no grit, and the GB IMO is very bright and almost hifi. The tube grind from the pre in the Shuttle isnt that gritty at all.

Bass Terror is your friend. Loud/light/warm/gritty when you want it/not expensive considering what it does!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='894720' date='Jul 14 2010, 02:04 PM']I recall AlexClaber mentioning that custom colours were an option for an extra charge, maybe get an orange barefaced. I don't think orange are known for flexibility.[/quote]

I tried the ad200 and it was pretty flexible.. I just finish I had a mate that I could try a terror for one gig.. if I was happy I could sell my LM and 1x15 cab to recoup funds

[quote name='Musicman20' post='894722' date='Jul 14 2010, 02:06 PM']+1

The MB might have the warmth but no grit, and the GB IMO is very bright and almost hifi. The tube grind from the pre in the Shuttle isnt that gritty at all.

Bass Terror is your friend. Loud/light/warm/gritty when you want it/not expensive considering what it does![/quote]

I'm leaning towards that opinion.. does anyone know much about the.. I like where I can have warmth or grit..

Anyone know about the Mark Tube???

Edited by algmusic

My bass terror is awesome, yes it kinda just does one sound very well....the EQ isn't massively powerful, but I can't say that I've ever been at a gig and needed more than a tweak on any EQ to be happy. Over-Eq'ing an amp is bad IMO!

But yes, remember that the Terror front end is the same as the AD200!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='894735' date='Jul 14 2010, 02:20 PM']My bass terror is awesome, yes it kinda just does one sound very well....the EQ isn't massively powerful, but I can't say that I've ever been at a gig and needed more than a tweak on any EQ to be happy. Over-Eq'ing an amp is bad IMO!

But yes, remember that the Terror front end is the same as the AD200!

Si[/quote]

What cab do you use with the terror?

[quote name='algmusic' post='894727' date='Jul 14 2010, 02:11 PM']I'm leaning towards that opinion.. does anyone know much about the.. I like where I can have warmth or grit..

Anyone know about the Mark Tube???[/quote]

Mark Tube Amp gives you ZERO grit, it just changes the sound and feel of the notes a TINY bit.

The other option is a Mark Bass Little Mark Rocker....that has some nice grit.

+1 to the TERROR - Just picked one up today and I love it already! Seems like it does only do one sound, but it's a reasonably pliable sound (if that makes sense) and it sounds to my ears to be a great sound for gigging with. Warm, clear, BASS sounding, and I imagine it'll have plenty of cut-thru in a band situation. I loved my little mark ii, but it was just clean within an inch of its life and lacked any kind of character to my ears. The orange seems right just out the box!

I'll post in more detail when I've gigged it, but my initial impression is don't pass it by :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='895030' date='Jul 14 2010, 08:21 PM']Mark Tube Amp gives you ZERO grit, it just changes the sound and feel of the notes a TINY bit.

The other option is a Mark Bass Little Mark Rocker....that has some nice grit.[/quote]

Anyone have any experience of the Markbass Rocker? What's the difference from the LM Tube (apart from £100)?

Could it be as good as the Orange but a bit more flexible? /dreams/

[quote name='DaveMuadDib' post='895221' date='Jul 14 2010, 11:28 PM']+1 to the TERROR - Just picked one up today and I love it already! Seems like it does only do one sound, but it's a reasonably pliable sound (if that makes sense) and it sounds to my ears to be a great sound for gigging with. Warm, clear, BASS sounding, and I imagine it'll have plenty of cut-thru in a band situation. I loved my little mark ii, but it was just clean within an inch of its life and lacked any kind of character to my ears. The orange seems right just out the box!

I'll post in more detail when I've gigged it, but my initial impression is don't pass it by :)[/quote]

Thanks for that.. I've noticed you're looking for a 210.. maybe you should be looking at the orange sp210. I love mine. Everytime, I gig it, I turn heads

[quote name='fatback' post='895237' date='Jul 14 2010, 11:49 PM']Anyone have any experience of the Markbass Rocker? What's the difference from the LM Tube (apart from £100)?

Could it be as good as the Orange but a bit more flexible? /dreams/[/quote]

Hmm.. the only problem, I can see is the power thing.. I've got an 8ohm cab.. so I'll only get 300w from the rocker, as I'll get 500w from the terror.. Right.. I think I'm gonna get one...like yesterday

[quote name='fatback' post='895237' date='Jul 14 2010, 11:49 PM']Anyone have any experience of the Markbass Rocker? What's the difference from the LM Tube (apart from £100)?

Could it be as good as the Orange but a bit more flexible? /dreams/[/quote]

Rocker video (in German but the sound from the amp is GREAT!) - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iqwo828es"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iqwo828es[/url]

The LMTube doesnt sound like it has a tube IMO, although it does add a subtle difference to the tone.

The Rocker is exactly the same as a LM3 with the 'distortion' option. The LMTube has a few other additions but if I were you, and you want grit, get the LM3 plus a brilliant pedal OR the LMRocker.

[quote name='algmusic' post='895557' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:55 PM']Right I'm definitely getting a terror.. the MB rocker wasn't that gritty.. it just means, I can just carry one amp and no pedals (bar my tuner)[/quote]

Good choice TBH. If I didnt have the AD200b I would DEFINITELY get one. I have the guitar Dual Terror and despite the fact its a fair bit heavier than the Bass Terror, its VERY good!

[quote name='algmusic' post='894755' date='Jul 14 2010, 02:54 PM']What cab do you use with the terror?[/quote]

I use it with either an Ashdown Mini 4x8, a Mini 1x15 or a combination of the both

Si

[quote name='Musicman20' post='895507' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:21 PM']Rocker video (in German but the sound from the amp is GREAT!) - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iqwo828es"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6iqwo828es[/url]

The LMTube doesnt sound like it has a tube IMO, although it does add a subtle difference to the tone.

The Rocker is exactly the same as a LM3 with the 'distortion' option. The LMTube has a few other additions but if I were you, and you want grit, get the LM3 plus a brilliant pedal OR the LMRocker.[/quote]

Wonder why the rocker's s dearer. Does it have two tubes or one?

[quote name='algmusic' post='895271' date='Jul 15 2010, 01:11 AM']Thanks for that.. I've noticed you're looking for a 210.. maybe you should be looking at the orange sp210. I love mine. Everytime, I gig it, I turn heads[/quote]

I've thought very seriously about it, but I think it'll be a little bit too vintage sounding for my liking. I've already got the 2x12 for the bottom end (and it sounds mega with the OTB!), and I think the matching TC RS210 would be the perfect compliment for that extra option in flexibility and that extra bit of punch when running a full rig. I'm suspecting the 210 and the Orange will be my holy grail for flexibilty... I really need to try the orange isobaric!

[quote name='algmusic' post='895557' date='Jul 15 2010, 12:55 PM']Right I'm definitely getting a terror.. the MB rocker wasn't that gritty.. it just means, I can just carry one amp and no pedals (bar my tuner)[/quote]

I can carry my bass, OTB, compact and a bag full of cables, adapters, strings and things, and three pedals (tuner, compressor, DI) by myself.

It's a slight hual but if I was that picky that I had to rehurse with my rig then I could walk the 10 minutes up hill with it. Also is not hard to manufacture your own rack/trolley for it.