Why become a member? ×

The Big Al 5 SSS has arrived!!!

Grand Wazoo

I've finally got it exactly 4 months from order date to delivery, it's safely at home and still unopened in the original box, I had to leave it indoors and fly straight to work, no time to even look at it yet, can you adam and eve it? However I will do it tomorrow when I disembark so watch this space for pics and review.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888350' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:01 PM']In an ideal world yes, but not when you are incharge of a large cargo ship and 58 crew members.

[/quote]
And you're back tomorrow? Are you just popping up the corner shop for a packet of fags or something? :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888350' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:01 PM']In an ideal world yes, but not when you are incharge of a large cargo ship and 58 crew members.[/quote]
You could have rocked a shanty or two on your new bass for them... missed opportunity there :)

[quote name='tombboy' post='888378' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:20 PM']And you're back tomorrow? Are you just popping up the corner shop for a packet of fags or something? :)[/quote]

Yes mate, drop her in Antwerp and fly back to London City Airport. Missus waiting with car :rolleyes: and then home sweet home.

Looking forward to seeing the bass, and I'm very interested in what you think of it, they look fantastic.

Paradoxically, is there any chance it could've been imported in one of the containers on your ship at any point?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888350' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:01 PM'][/quote]
This image just reminds me of series 2 of The Wire, what with it being my only exposure to the world of international shipping. Awesome.

Not suggesting you've got dead hookers in any of the containers on your ship, mind. :)

[quote name='machinehead' post='888626' date='Jul 7 2010, 04:39 PM']A crew of 58? My god. Are they pedalling it? :)

Frank[/quote]

Yeah well you wish, but they run shifts so when 12 are manning the engine room for example, other are resting there is a workshop constantly reboring cylinders, swapping pistons, and that is also manned 24/7, other or on bridge duty, mooring stations, bunker stations, repainting decks, lashing cargo, maintaining hoistable decks and hydraulic pumps, scraping ballast tanks, need I go on?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888633' date='Jul 7 2010, 04:43 PM']Yeah well you wish, but they run shifts so when 12 are manning the engine room for example, other are resting there is a workshop constantly reboring cylinders, swapping pistons, and that is also manned 24/7, other or on bridge duty, mooring stations, bunker stations, repainting decks, lashing cargo, maintaining hoistable decks and hydraulic pumps, scraping ballast tanks, [b]need I go on[/b]?[/quote]
Yes - I luv it when you talk durty!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888633' date='Jul 7 2010, 04:43 PM']Yeah well you wish, but they run shifts so when 12 are manning the engine room for example, other are resting there is a workshop constantly reboring cylinders, swapping pistons, and that is also manned 24/7, other or on bridge duty, mooring stations, bunker stations, repainting decks, lashing cargo, maintaining hoistable decks and hydraulic pumps, scraping ballast tanks, need I go on?[/quote]
I'd honestly love you to do a thread about what your day-to-day life is like on that seafaring beast. Pleeeeease?

Seriously. That would probably be the most interesting thing ever on Basschat. Ever. EVER.

I had a friend in the Merchant Marine. Had to climb inside the cylinders, once the pistons were removed, to clean them. Horrible task, ankle deep in old oil, fumes etc. Big, big engines.

He told me of an accident that occurred in an American port in the Gulf of Mexico. A fuel tanker - can't remember if it was spirit or gas - had caught fire, and all the ships in the harbour that could get underway quickly realised that moving was a good idea. His ship was offloading ammonia via pipelines, one of which was reluctant to turn off and detach. The ship pulled out anyway spilling ammonia on the quayside and rendering several unconscious. A few minutes later they saw the tanker go up, parts of the main deck and superstructure lifting high into the air, followed by a colossal pressure wave. Not sure if this story is true or not - could never find anything about this accident, which must have happened in the late 70s or early to mid 80s. He told it well nevertheless. :)

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing this bass!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888633' date='Jul 7 2010, 04:43 PM']Yeah well you wish, but they run shifts so when 12 are manning the engine room for example, other are resting there is a workshop constantly reboring cylinders, swapping pistons, and that is also manned 24/7, other or on bridge duty, mooring stations, bunker stations, repainting decks, lashing cargo, maintaining hoistable decks and hydraulic pumps, scraping ballast tanks, need I go on?[/quote]

And what about the band? :)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='888662' date='Jul 7 2010, 05:03 PM']I had a friend in the Merchant Marine. Had to climb inside the cylinders, once the pistons were removed, to clean them. Horrible task, ankle deep in old oil, fumes etc. Big, big engines.

He told me of an accident that occurred in an American port in the Gulf of Mexico. A fuel tanker - can't remember if it was spirit or gas - had caught fire, and all the ships in the harbour that could get underway quickly realised that moving was a good idea. His ship was offloading ammonia via pipelines, one of which was reluctant to turn off and detach. The ship pulled out anyway spilling ammonia on the quayside and rendering several unconscious. A few minutes later they saw the tanker go up, parts of the main deck and superstructure lifting high into the air, followed by a colossal pressure wave. Not sure if this story is true or not - could never find anything about this accident, which must have happened in the late 70s or early to mid 80s. He told it well nevertheless. :)

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing this bass![/quote]

Well luckily I don't need to be anywhere near the engine room, my position is on the bridge.

I take one in, get her moored and then take the other one waiting alongside back out, fly back, have a night cap and off again. Fun?? Not really... but it's a job

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='888727' date='Jul 7 2010, 05:51 PM']Well luckily I don't need to be anywhere near the engine room, my position is here on the bridge, here's us docking in Tilbury, instead of explaining I'll show u some shots...

I take one in, get her moored and then take the other one waiting alongside back out, fly back, have a night cap and off again. Fun?? Not really... but it's a job[/quote]
Watch it! Never mind Big Al, what about Big Al-Queda? :)