Why become a member? ×

a handy practice tip

Paul_C

. . or if you're trying to work out a song, perhaps.

I have a band leader/guitarist/singer who has been known to get carried away, so that a song I can play without any difficulty sometimes becomes a roller-coaster ride as it's started way quicker than usual.

I discovered in Audacity that if you open an mp3 and then Ctrl-a, then select Effect -> Change Tempo you can speed up the song without changing the pitch.

Which means I can get some practice in at speeds even faster than he can manage :)

So if you wanted to nail a busy bass line you could slow it down to give you more chance of picking out the right notes.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='887926' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:24 PM']So if you wanted to nail a busy bass line you could slow it down to give you more chance of picking out the right notes.[/quote]

Indeed, and the biggest challenge of em all is taking your fast lick, and playing it slow flawless...It's so hard!
Cause you got used to playing it fast you don't really register what it is...slow it down and it's a whole different ball game.

[quote name='Kongo' post='887933' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:33 PM']Indeed, and the biggest challenge of em all is taking your fast lick, and playing it slow flawless...It's so hard!
Cause you got used to playing it fast you don't really register what it is...slow it down and it's a whole different ball game.[/quote]

+1 to this i've learned difficult riffs and licks before at full speed but then when i slow it down to try and show it to some one to learn i completely balls it up almost instantly...
its stupid how by slowing something difficult down can f*** with our heads so much... :)

[quote name='teen t-shirt' post='887984' date='Jul 7 2010, 12:27 AM']+1 to this i've learned difficult riffs and licks before at full speed but then when i slow it down to try and show it to some one to learn i completely balls it up almost instantly...
its stupid how by slowing something difficult down can f*** with our heads so much... :rolleyes:[/quote]

That's because it is USING your head, and not muscle memory. :)
I practice by this factor a lot, breaking things apart to rebuild them, like a car engine but on bass playing instead.
On my Sheehan DVD I got recently (In My Honest Opinion is the title), he takes some age old licks, slows them down and messes up a note or two and jokes about it, then turning it into a lesson.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='887926' date='Jul 6 2010, 11:24 PM']I discovered in Audacity that if you open an mp3 and then Ctrl-a, then select Effect -> Change Tempo you can speed up the song without changing the pitch.[/quote]

You can do the same thing using Windows Media Player... very useful! :)

I'd like to add to the handy tip for completeness of the exercise.

Yes, slow the track right down and make sure you can play it confidently and cleanly in each increment up to speed. Then, I want you to start incrementing past the speed of the track, but make sure you can still play it cleanly. Go as far as you can and ensure each note sounds properly and you are taking care to ensure you strive for quality.

Now, after you have spent a good hour doing this - you'll find the original speed soooooo easy in comparison. If not - go back and do it again!