Why become a member? ×

Tredders' current 4....

tredders

Thought it was about time I uploaded a few pics of the current crop.

[attachment=53671:Basses.jpg]

From left to right, Ibanez ASB 140 fitted with a Hammon engineering Darkstar pickup and flats. Surprisingly weighty bass, and the Darkstar gives it a real 60's / 70's thump. Next up is Bruce - '76 Precision in black / maple, all original with the exception of the nut. Absolute beast of a bass, very clanky with extremely powerful (original) pups in it, which do that Foxton / JJB sound perfectly. Then we have Horace - '73 Precision in classic burst / rosewood. This is the latest addition to the family, and is in amazing condition for its age, with only the rear top horn showing any wear. Even has the original foam mute under the bridge cover. All original except for a replaced pot. Lovely B neck profile on this one, and classic Jamerson tone (when someone with any ability plays it). Strung with TIs at the moment. Oh, and for the eagle eyed amongst you, I know the ashtrays are held on with non-original screws - I only popped them on to take the photos. Finally, on the right is my Bob Glaub. Amazing bass for the money - lovely neck profile, very easy to play, and great sounding - sounds more like a Precision than most Precisions I've owned. Also strung with TIs, and I'm sorely tempted to pick up another BG and leave it with rounds on, to save taking the vintage P's to less salubrious gigs....!

Shameless pic of the 2 basses I will never sell!

[attachment=53672:Basses_2.jpg]

Don'tcha think they look good together?

[attachment=53673:Basses_3.jpg]

Cheers

Tredders

Edited by tredders

[quote name='Musicman20' post='887205' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:44 PM']Cool!

How does the Lakland compare to the Fenders youve owned/played?[/quote]

I love the BG! Great neck, well put together and well setup straight out of the box (although I have to say that it seems as though there are a number of people on here unhappy with the quality of their Laklands). Mine has the Hanson pup in it, and sounds and feels just like a great Precision. Sure, it's not as "nice" as one of the two "real" vintage P's, but equally it was a fraction of their cost! With the exception of the 2 Fenders in the pics, it's the best P bass I've owned - better than a '77 I owned years ago, & better than a '98 US P I sold on here last year.

I've not played one of the new 2010 Fender P's, but have only read great things about them, but I've owned and played some right dogs in my time. The BG just seems comfortable, familiar and consistent (although other peoples experiences differ).

[quote name='tredders' post='887222' date='Jul 6 2010, 12:59 PM']I love the BG! Great neck, well put together and well setup straight out of the box (although I have to say that it seems as though there are a number of people on here unhappy with the quality of their Laklands). Mine has the Hanson pup in it, and sounds and feels just like a great Precision. Sure, it's not as "nice" as one of the two "real" vintage P's, but equally it was a fraction of their cost! With the exception of the 2 Fenders in the pics, it's the best P bass I've owned - better than a '77 I owned years ago, & better than a '98 US P I sold on here last year.

I've not played one of the new 2010 Fender P's, but have only read great things about them, but I've owned and played some right dogs in my time. The BG just seems comfortable, familiar and consistent (although other peoples experiences differ).[/quote]

I personally love the whole look of Laklands, I just think I was very unlucky to get ex demo dogs when I tried to buy one. Saying that, Ive tried 1 or 2 modern Fenders that werent that nice.

The other day I tested a RWorn Jazz and a Lakland Skyline JO4 and I cant decide which to get...both were great.

[quote name='stinson' post='887822' date='Jul 6 2010, 09:43 PM']Lovely collection you have there[/quote]

Thanks mate. It's taken me about 20 years (and at least 20 basses!) to find ones I really love, which are basically the 2 P basses. Can't see me ever selling those.

• 2 months later...