Why become a member? ×

Ever had a gig that just staggers you?

karlbbb

Today my band (Inside View) played at Haigh Hall Festival (A local Wigan festival that has a full afternoon of local unsigned bands) and this year the stage was unreal. There's a week full of big name concerts next week (McFly, N-Dubz, Katherine Jenkins, Ronan Keating etc) and as such they had a really professional set up, certainly the best and biggest stage I've ever played on. I'm still buzzing now despite playing at 1415 this afternoon :)

Here's a quick video of our opening song Judas, though I'm afraid my little jump at 3:04 is a little Busted :lol: (I appreciate the bass isn't prevalent in the mix, but it was a handheld cam and I had quite a honky tone :lol: ):

Picture Perfect:

Dumb:

:rolleyes:

JWP's single launch was on Friday, one of our songs chorus ends with the line "ave a banana", so we had inflatable bananas at the show.

Couldn't actually see the crowd for a good part of that song with all the bananas floating about. :) Between laughing and having bananas thrown at us, it was incredibly hard to play (we all made a mess of it at some point or other) but it was a BRILLIANT gig, everyone (band and crowd) were blown away by the atmosphere and how much fun it was. Hopefully we have some live videos coming out from it.

We played at Hop Farm festival this Saturday right in the middle of Bob Dylan's set! It was amazing. Could see the main stage from where we were (if we ducked below the awning). Was awesome to think that people were dancing & enjoying us while Bob Dylan was just over the way! Some people even said they thought we were better... What a compliment.

I was signing our CDs for kids who wanted it too, I felt like a proper rock star :)

Yeah, staggering. Still haven't really come to terms with it.

[quote name='karlbbb' post='885951' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:45 PM']Today my band (Inside View) played at Haigh Hall Festival (A local Wigan festival that has a full afternoon of local unsigned bands) and this year the stage was unreal. There's a week full of big name concerts next week (McFly, N-Dubz, Katherine Jenkins, Ronan Keating etc) and as such they had a really professional set up, certainly the best and biggest stage I've ever played on. I'm still buzzing now despite playing at 1415 this afternoon :lol:

Here's a quick video of our opening song Judas, though I'm afraid my little jump at 3:04 is a little Busted :lol: (I appreciate the bass isn't prevalent in the mix, but it was a handheld cam and I had quite a honky tone :lol: ):

Picture Perfect:

Dumb:

:lol:[/quote]

Ah I was at that gig yesterday with my brother, girlfriend and sister. It was a good gig, sounded good from where we were :) The sound guy evidently messing around with the EQ pots on the desk got irritating after a while though. Had he done it subtlely it would have been fine, but there were random HF cuts and random LF cuts and it started sounding messy. Most of the bands on were pretty tight though :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :)

goblin - yea I stayed and watched all the rest of the bands, and they all sounded good. I hope there wasn't too much EQ tweaking during our set!

Thombassmonkey - those bananas look insane! :lol:

Oldgit - looking at the picture it would appear I need a lot more gusto in the jump, I shall work on this!

jjl5590 - not sure what the head was (I didn't really look, just EQ'd and played). The 8x10 cab was indeed the HyDrive. Nice amount of punch but I think I'll always prefer the warmer tone of paper cones :rolleyes:

There was quite a bit given the half hour or so set, but they eventually did crack it. It was only noticeable to people like me who are dead anal about stuff like that, the people I was with only really noticed it when I pointed it out to them :)

What did you make of the house bass rig?? I wasn't particularly struck on the sound it was putting out throughout the day. You could imagine what the different basses would sound like in reality though just by listening to the differences in sound.

[quote name='goblin' post='886860' date='Jul 5 2010, 11:34 PM']There was quite a bit given the half hour or so set, but they eventually did crack it. It was only noticeable to people like me who are dead anal about stuff like that, the people I was with only really noticed it when I pointed it out to them :)

What did you make of the house bass rig?? I wasn't particularly struck on the sound it was putting out throughout the day. You could imagine what the different basses would sound like in reality though just by listening to the differences in sound.[/quote]

The Hartke was quite honky even though I had the EQ set quite flat, my bass had treble rolled off, slight bias to bridge pickup and set to finger style on the Style Sweeper (more mids), I boosted the bass on the bass mid set but it sounded a touch muddy on stage and didn't want that to translate to the front. Never mind, eh?