Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar shops local to London and South Essex

essexbasscat

Hi all

Anyone know where any shops are that have a good range of bass guitars regularly in stock local to North East London and South Essex ?

In particular I'd like to find some shops that stock the Roadworn series and the Classic Vibe series.

Not necessarily Denmark street though, as it would be nice to find somewhere that is prepared to do less than full list price

thanks for reading :)

T

thanks for those replies :)

Do a lot of people around here travel 40, 50, 60 miles and upwards to get to a shop that has a decent range of basses ?

Are there any decent shops in north Kent ? that may work out closer than some options

thanks again

T

Tom, have you been to Digital Village, off North Street, Romford, lately?
Must admit, I've not had a chance to visit the store myself since the Victor Wootten night they recently hosted, but if that was anything to go by, they were certainly expanding their bass stock big time, compared to previously. And while you're in the Romford area, there's also PMT in South Street.
That said, as previously mentioned though not really south Essex, it has to be Bass Merchant, Colchester.
Cheers,
Steve

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='884166' date='Jul 2 2010, 05:28 PM']thanks for those replies :)

Do a lot of people around here travel 40, 50, 60 miles and upwards to get to a shop that has a decent range of basses ?

Are there any decent shops in north Kent ? that may work out closer than some options

thanks again

T[/quote]

I live near portsmouth and i have to travel if i want to see a decent range of basses and or amps

I normally go to london, the gallery even the bass cellar.

If I know what I want I am happy to buy on line but If I wanted to try something or a range I would prefer to travel to try something than drop a load of money if i find i dont like it.

Ive never bought anything from GAK but I wanted to find out how the road worn felt against the standard 50s reissue versus the mexican standard.

FWIW although lots of people rave over the road worn, they are not my cup of tea.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='884190' date='Jul 2 2010, 06:02 PM']Tom, have you been to Digital Village, off North Street, Romford, lately?
Must admit, I've not had a chance to visit the store myself since the Victor Wootten night they recently hosted, but if that was anything to go by, they were certainly expanding their bass stock big time, compared to previously. And while you're in the Romford area, there's also PMT in South Street.
That said, as previously mentioned though not really south Essex, it has to be Bass Merchant, Colchester.
Cheers,
Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve, good to meet you last week :) are you re-hydrated from that day yet ?

Yes, I do remember North Street, but havn't been there for around 20 years. Last time I was there I sold Monkey Business a ten watt battery powered Vox amp, having cycled ten miles with it on my back. That was in the early '90's though.

Not long before that I snapped up a maple / maple '73 Precision just around the corner for £200, again in the early '90's. I ended up selling it to finance my Rumour four - string. I'd buy that Precision back again in a flash.

Perhaps it's time I bought myself up to date on Romford :rolleyes:

thanks Steve

Tom

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='bumnote' post='884285' date='Jul 2 2010, 08:03 PM']I live near portsmouth and i have to travel if i want to see a decent range of basses and or amps

I normally go to london, the gallery even the bass cellar.

If I know what I want I am happy to buy on line but If I wanted to try something or a range I would prefer to travel to try something than drop a load of money if i find i dont like it.

Ive never bought anything from GAK but I wanted to find out how the road worn felt against the standard 50s reissue versus the mexican standard.

FWIW although lots of people rave over the road worn, they are not my cup of tea.[/quote]

that really is a day out isn't it? Like you, I'd much rather travel and play the bass before I decide if I'm going to lay out any cash, as I've found no two basses are completely the same.

What was your experience of comparing those three basses ? it would make interesting reading.

cheers

T

I drove all the way from Burwell/Cambridge to get the GK head from Darren at Bass Merchant in Colchester - deffo a good guy to do business with. Got to try out other heads in the store and plenty of bass goodness hanging on the walls.

Going to head back there soon as funds allow me some GAS relief.

HTH, Ian

[quote name='Bottle' post='884408' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:30 PM']I drove all the way from Burwell/Cambridge to get the GK head from Darren at Bass Merchant in Colchester - deffo a good guy to do business with. Got to try out other heads in the store and plenty of bass goodness hanging on the walls.

Going to head back there soon as funds allow me some GAS relief.

HTH, Ian[/quote]

Know Burwell very well Ian, my buddy's lived there for years. I was best man at his wedding, with my band playing the reception in Lode social club, not too far away.

cheers

T

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='884393' date='Jul 2 2010, 10:09 PM']Hi Steve, good to meet you last week :) are you re-hydrated from that day yet ?

Yes, I do remember North Street, but havn't been there for around 20 years. Last time I was there I sold Monkey Business a ten watt battery powered Vox amp, having cycled ten miles with it on my back. That was in the early '90's though.

Not long before that I snapped up a maple / maple '73 Precision just around the corner for £200, again in the early '90's. I ended up selling it to finance my Rumour four - string. I'd buy that Precision back again in a flash.

Perhaps it's time I bought myself up to date on Romford :rolleyes:

thanks Steve

Tom[/quote]
Hehe, yeah, I don't think I've arrived home and gone straight from the car to the shower as quickly as I did last Sunday. Scorchio! :lol:
Great day though and good to meet you too, Tom. And everyone else, of course. :lol:

Ah, Monkey Business - long gone now, of course; in fact, PMT is not too far from where MB used to be.
Digital Village is actually in Gresham Rd (back of North Street). Websites have full details, locations, etc.

S. :lol: