Why become a member? ×

bass tone/feel and string choice!

CHRISDABASS

[quote name='Lozz196' post='883517' date='Jul 1 2010, 10:53 PM']I`ve tried many different brands, and have established through this that I`m a Rotosound RS66 user, heavy gauge 50 - 100. Just tried a set of regular gauge Rotos 45 - 105, as none of my local music shops stock the heavies, and really can`t get on with them - so its back to stringsdirect/heavies for me![/quote]

Stringsdirect FTW!

I buy the cheapest strings I can find, in the expectation they're all crap so I might as well reduce the amount I spend as much as I can. Having said that, I've picked up some Harke sets that have been good and otherwise I'll fall back on Warwick yellow label or whatever I can pick up on Ebay at dirt cheap prices. I think I've had some Olympia titanium alloy strings on a few instruments for well over a year and they still sound fresh.

Tried D'Addarios, they came with the bass. They are alright, nice and smooth to play but I found that after the original brightness had gone theye where pretty non descript. got a couple packs of Ernie Balls for free, don't like them to much, similar to the D'Addarios but have last much longer than any strings I've had (been on for over a year and sound ok).

The EB came as four pack so i needed a B and high C string, the local music shop had them in but only Rotosound. i must say I'm impressed with the B string, gives it a nice tone considering its so low. The C string is a bit trebly but sounds really nice when popped.

Want to try Elixirs next

[quote name='BigRedX' post='881887' date='Jun 30 2010, 01:23 PM']Different strings for different basses. You've got to find the right strings to suit the bass and the way you play it.[/quote]

+1.

I use Rotos on my Rics, although I'd be interested to try DRs and TIs when my budget allows. Most other rounds just sound too "boingy" when I play them; I love the aggressive hollowness of the Rotos. Not sure what's on my Sei, I need to ask when I go back to the Gallery as I need a new set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Just wanted to add something to this.......

Ive been really enjoying the DR low riders while playing at home but just come back from rehearsals a bit disappointed! they seem to be very scooped in the mids when amplified compared to the Sadowsky blue label strings i usually use! no matter where i set the EQ they sounded strange to my ear!

back to the blue labels it is then

:)