Why become a member? ×

Advice on small light weight rig that can still produce good volume

chrisasp

Im sick of carting my swr 750x head in rack and ampeg 4x10 cab to gigs and worrying bout damaging them so I am looking for something not to replace it but a lighter and cheaper alternative to my usual rig to cart to gigs without too much worrying if owt happens to them but still need the volume my swr produces. Can anyone recomend anything? Are ashdown little giant's any good? It needs to be small, light, reasonable price and loud.

Thanks

what style of music do you play?
lightweight heads are now reasonably priced and theres a good range of decent styles.

cabs however havn't come down in price so much. with cabs you still have to pay a lot more for a light weight cab that is of equal volume to a heavier cab.

[quote name='Colledge' post='879390' date='Jun 27 2010, 11:57 PM']what style of music do you play?
lightweight heads are now reasonably priced and theres a good range of decent styles.

cabs however havn't come down in price so much. with cabs you still have to pay a lot more for a light weight cab that is of equal volume to a heavier cab.[/quote]

I do alot of depping for funk/soul bands so anything that can handle those sort of gigs would be fine. Ive tried Mark bass gear and its great, but Im looking for something cheaper and something I dont have to worry about as much when some drunken idiot at a wedding gig spills beer on it

There's a good choice of lightweight amps to be had that could very well surprise you MarkBass & Genz Benz are both very good.
A 2nd hand MarkBass LM11 can be had for £350 ish, maybe less & is a brilliant little amp.

[quote name='chrisasp' post='879208' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:51 PM']....Im sick of carting my swr 750x head in rack and ampeg 4x10 cab to gigs and worrying bout damaging them so I am looking for something not to replace it but a lighter and cheaper alternative to my usual rig to cart to gigs without too much worrying if owt happens to them but still need the volume my swr produces. Can anyone recomend anything? Are ashdown little giant's any good? It needs to be small, light, reasonable price and loud....[/quote]
For small(ish), very light and loud I still think one of the best combinations is a Markbass through a Barefacedbass Compact.

[quote name='Colledge' post='879624' date='Jun 28 2010, 10:15 AM']the ashdown lg's and superflies can be had for next to nothing and the lg 1000 has some real poke but i've heard mixed reviews. theyre very much love or hate affairs so i'd say try one out before you buy.[/quote]

LG's are good if you use em with the superfly cabs if you can't get hold of the cabs don't bother, without the cabs the volume / tone isn't there. I managed to get hold of a LG100 and a superfly 48 its a nice combi and is way loud enough for me for live rehearsals etc. But I won't use it for gigs as I like a big dynamic range. Something I hav'nt seen with switchmode stuff as yet

Have you considered the Ampeg Micro VR?

I just picked up the full rig from BC´er magee (who got it from Chris/Beedster) and it is the mutts!!!
They aren´t the cheapest rig to buy new, but for portability, tone and volume, they really are wicked little things.
It has completely solved my need for a small-gig-rig and I can fit the lot in the boot of a Polo, with loads of room for lazy bandmates and a pair of basses! :)
It has not only filled the hole where my Ashdown mini-stack was, but filled, plastered and painted over it with a nice murial depcting cherubs and a big beardy bloke-doing so with only one cup of tea AND cleaned up nice and tidy after too. :lol:
Ok, forgot what i was saying there...
Oh yeah, get one, and if you can, get the second 2x10!!! :rolleyes: