Why become a member? ×

From the Bonny land of Scotland.

TomNicoBassman

Hey,

I'm Tom and I've been playing bass for 4/5 years now. Though only started seriously 2 years ago. Im 18 years of age and currently studing Bass at University in Edinburgh :). My first instrument was a Tenor Saxophone (which I still play) and played that for a good 6 years but decided the Bass was for me a little later.

Due to lack of cash being a student, I currently play an RBX374 in Silver. I make do with what I have and try to sound as good as possible. :rolleyes:

Currently playing a few gigs for the band Callanish as people require deps. But just missed one due to slicing my index finger on my left hand. :S

Enjoying the site so far. :lol:

Cheers.

[quote name='arsenic' post='878244' date='Jun 26 2010, 04:21 PM']Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I am sure many of us on here "made do" with what we could afford in our early days - I certainly did.[/quote]

Absolutely, thats life eh?

Though got a little more cash atm, looking for a Fender Jazz or a Warwick Thumb, both of which, I feel, are fantastic basses.

[quote name='TomNicoBassman' post='878264' date='Jun 26 2010, 04:44 PM']Absolutely, thats life eh?

Though got a little more cash atm, looking for a Fender Jazz or a Warwick Thumb, both of which, I feel, are fantastic basses.[/quote]

Though always open to recommendations. Any hints on finding a good, reasonably cheap bass?

[quote name='TomNicoBassman' post='878177' date='Jun 26 2010, 02:37 PM']Hey,

I'm Tom and I've been playing bass for 4/5 years now. Though only started seriously 2 years ago. Im 18 years of age and currently studing Bass at University in Edinburgh :). My first instrument was a Tenor Saxophone (which I still play) and played that for a good 6 years but decided the Bass was for me a little later.

Due to lack of cash being a student, I currently play an RBX374 in Silver. I make do with what I have and try to sound as good as possible. :rolleyes:

Currently playing a few gigs for the band Callanish as people require deps. But just missed one due to slicing my index finger on my left hand. :S

Cheers.[/quote]

hi and welcome fellow scot, tenor man, and bass player

tenor is a great sax

[quote name='TomNicoBassman' post='878269' date='Jun 26 2010, 04:49 PM']Though always open to recommendations. Any hints on finding a good, reasonably cheap bass?[/quote]

Keep a regular eye on the 2nd hand shop at the corner of Queen Street & Frederick St. They regularly get some good gear in there. Not cheap always, but that's why you keep looking back. Last time I looked about 2 months ago they had a Gibson 70's EB3, can't remember how much & a Musicman for £690. Always plenty of Fender copies too.

Scayles on Patrick Sq along Clerk Street is a great shop, especially now they have a used gear shop round the corner in West Crosscauseway. Tell Vince I said "Hi".

Guitar Guitar down near Murrayfield was the first place I saw a Rockinbetter Rick copy, it was only £299 - I could kick myself I didn't snatch their hand off at the time.

Edinburgh has some excellent venues for bands of any description, you should do well. Just watch out for the ones that ask you to do free gigs & promise they'll help you out in the future if you do. It's a lie.

Edited by Big_Stu

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='878498' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:12 PM']Keep a regular eye on the 2nd hand shop at the corner of Queen Street & Frederick St. They regularly get some good gear in there. Not cheap always, but that's why you keep looking back. Last time I looked about 2 months ago they had a Gibson 70's EB3, can't remember how much & a Musicman for £690. Always plenty of Fender copies too.[/quote]

The EB3 is a mid-70's walnut one at £780 & the Musicman is a sunburst Stingray at £580; dunno if that's a good price or not, for anyone who's interested. I had a quick look in the shop on Monday.

[quote name='TomNicoBassman' post='878177' date='Jun 26 2010, 02:37 PM']Hey,

Cheers.[/quote]

hi and welcome

i too am a scot..bo'ness...and played tenor and other saxes, clarinet, oboe, brass...then moved to bass...and its my favourite instrument
i have a yam similar to yours...it cost £80 second hand and plays ok for me

Hi.
Another newbie from north of the border. been playing for 30 years on and off. Currently playing Mexican Fender P bass through Line 6 LD175 and been gigging actively for the last 5 years with my classic rock covers band PantZ in the pubs/clubs of the fife and Lothians. Playing Thunder in the Glen this year!! Fame at last!

Good to see some Scots talent coming through to replace us old codgers!!

cheers

Dave.

Hello from another Alba resident, albeit in an Irish one - been in Glaschu/Glasgow/The Dear Green Place for 12 years now and it's been good to me so far - lots of music, from decent hardcore punk (US Style), through the inevitable Glesga indiepop, to the magic free jazz sessions all over town on Saturdays - Muldoon's Ragtime Jazz & Blues Band in MacSorleys on Jamaica St is the best.

dia duit!

I too am another interloper from Ireland living in Scotland, Edinburgh to be precise. I'd agree to find a bargain it means trawling the 2nd hand places evry few weeks and take the occasional trip West and do the same there. Always a bargain to be found and I've had a few first hand experiences of them - Rickenbacker guitar that the guy thought was a fake for £140. I sh*t you not!

Welcome and good luck with the studies.

gavin