Why become a member? ×

Looking for nice Burpy basses.

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Having a discussion with thunder fingers, I decide i would like a burpy bass next.

Burpy being a modern funk tone that cuts.

So the usual suspects are up. An MM ,a G+L, Ken smith etc, However i am pretty down on how they all look, I was never a fan of any of these basses designs and i am quite vain when it comes to looks.

Unlike my current basses this does not have to be pointy. I like weird and wonderful though. I was maybe thinking about going down the Warmoth route. But i am not 100% sold on the idea.

What other basses have that burpy tone? (Price range is around 1000 Quid.)

Cheers, Rob.

Edited by Shockwave

I'd recommend building one, for sure! You're a picky bugger, so if you build it yourself you might actually get something you like at the end of it :)

Get a decent bridge humbucker, maybe a bit nearer to the sweet spot than bridge position. I'm pretty chuffed with Kent Armstrong soapbars at present, but a MM style pickup would be a good bet too. Maybe a Status or Modulus neck on an offbeat warmoth body? They do mocks, eagles etc!

I am told.... (although yet to try it as it doesnt quite fit in the music I'm playing) that Bart pups in a J with an East (or Bart) pre amp is a pretty burpy set up......

Wouldnt be too expensive or difficult to try if you already have a J : Saves buying lotsa basses 'till you find the right one, as I'm sure there are models with a tendancy to Burp but some will be better than others....