Why become a member? ×

Quick kill....

tom1946

I play mostly in churches and use a variety of mostly Fender basses. Trouble is churches have a lot of quiet moments and my Trace combo can be a bit noisy (quite normal)

I can't easily reach the on/off switch to shut it up so it's getting to be a problem now. I know I could have a kill switch fitted to a bass but because I use about 7 different ones and my luthier is about 40 miles away it's not very practical. Is there some kind of pedal that would do this for me?

I also realise that I could just turn the volume (s) down on the bass but it takes time to put them back where they were and that would be a guess.

Might seem like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but hey, we all have our idiosyncrasies. :)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Buy a tuner such as the Boss TU2. They mute the signal between bass and amp when activated, ie tuning up. You could leave it on when swapping basses. Also look at Planet Waves leads. Some of these have a small switch fitted to one jack,which kills the signal from the guitar, enabling a quiet change over.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='876242' date='Jun 24 2010, 12:18 PM']If you are going to make your own pedal should the mute position be open circuit or short to ground?[/quote]

If you take an SPDT switch: middle lug is signal in, bottom is to ground and top lug is to the output. No need for LEDs, batteries or the like. There might be some popping, though. You could even use a momentary switch, but I can't really see the point in that. I put one in a pedal I made to be able to give stuttering noises, but it was more of a gimmick.

Quick edit for typo

Edited by JimBobTTD

What about a noise gate pedal ?

Set with the the threshhold high it would cut off the signal when switched on. When you start playing again just switch off the noise gate and it's out of your FX chain.

This'll give you an idea of what a noise gate will do...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3HG6Cf2qP0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3HG6Cf2qP0[/url]