Why become a member? ×

Light P-Bass

flip

I'm really hankering after a fairly light weight passive precision style bass and wondered if such a thing existed? I know you can get aerodynes but I really want something with a p style neck as opposed to a jazz, as the thicker neck suits my hands better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

[quote name='flip' post='96597' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:14 PM']I'm really hankering after a fairly light weight passive precision style bass and wondered if such a thing existed? I know you can get aerodynes but I really want something with a p style neck as opposed to a jazz, as the thicker neck suits my hands better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...[/quote]

The 60's and early 70's Precisions are usually light weight - my '66 Precision is particularly light. But of course one of these will cost you a lot of money...
I don't know how the modern Fender re-issues compare for weight...

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='96607' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:23 PM']The 60's and early 70's Precisions are usually light weight - my '66 Precision is particularly light. But of course one of these will cost you a lot of money...
I don't know how the modern Fender re-issues compare for weight...[/quote]

for what it's worth:

Warmoth dinky p, swamp ash,maple neck 3.41kg
MIM Precision alder?, maple neck: 4.18kg
1979 Precision fretless, ash? maple neck 4.54kg
Warwick Thumb NT 4.5kg

[quote name='bremen' post='96633' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:58 PM']Warmoth dinky p, swamp ash,maple neck 3.41kg[/quote]

if I put another Warmoth P together I'll probably go for that config-
I went for maple neck/fingerboard and hard ash body- and the bass ended up at around 11lbs (hipshot Ultralite machineheads but offset with a heavy Badass II bridge).
loads of sustain, lows, and a cutting, bright metallic tone, but a lighter body would give more punch/snap in the high mids, and be less tiring on the shoulder.

Lightest proper P basses I've had were the long lost real 62 and the 1980's Fender Japanse '62 vintage re-issue. Both came in under 9 pounds. My MIA 1999/1998 was Ok at 9.5 and the squier JV was about the same.

The P Lyte is lighter but, of course, it's not a P bass ..