Why become a member? ×

Ray 35

absolutpepper

I just picked up a preowned but mint Sterling by Musicman 35 and i'm getting quite excited by its arrival. I've been looking for a MM 'Ray (4 string) for ages but when I saw the price of this I figured what the heck. I've not played 5 string in years but im looking forward to 're-learning' and going by what i've read about these it should be a pretty great bass for the cash. Anyone have one? Any thoughts, mods, etc?

It arrives tomorrow but i'm going to a gig so I wont be able to report back for a couple of days. I'll bow to your superior knowledge and welcome any comments with open enthusiasm!

Well it arrived and all I can say is wow its great. First time owning a MM (I call it a MM 'cause it basically is). Having recently tried another EBMM 5 string I can easily say that sound and playability wise its pretty hard to tell the difference. I reckon it may benefit from a quick setup but thats hardly an issue and for £300 its a lot of bass for the money.

I can happily recommend the sterling range if this is anything to go by.

Taking it to rehearsal tonight so we'll see how it gets on then and some pics to follow.

[quote name='Dandelion' post='875521' date='Jun 23 2010, 03:56 PM']I fancy one of those..[/quote]

Me to.

Ive been using a Ray34 for the past couple of months as my main (and only) bass and while i love its tone (it does have a Nordy 4.2 in it now though) i would rather have a 5 string version.
I must admit im struggling with the neck/string spacing so have gone on to a CV Jazz for now but a Ray35 is definitely on my list of things to get later this year and the only 5 string im after at the moment.

£300 is a great price for a Ray35.

Edited by dave_bass5

These Sterling by MM are really good, the only fault I can really find with my Ray34 is that some of the fret ends are sharper than I'd like up at the dusty end, but that's really nit picking. For the cash they're awesome all round IMO.

Well

I gave it a good 'hammering' at rehearsal tonight and I was supremely impressed. Although not playing through my own rig I was running an EBS 350 head into an Ampeg stack and even with the amp EQ flat the sound was incredible. That snarly growl that you get from a Stingray was ever present and all tone controls acted just the way they should. I'm actually so pleased at the moment that i'm gonna get either a RAY 34 or an SB14 in the coming months so that I have a 4 and 5 string. For now its defo relegated me CV Jazz as my main gigging bass.

Hopefully get pics up soon. Its one of the all black ones and it really does look a million bucks!

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='876059' date='Jun 24 2010, 01:43 AM']Well

I gave it a good 'hammering' at rehearsal tonight and I was supremely impressed. Although not playing through my own rig I was running an EBS 350 head into an Ampeg stack and even with the amp EQ flat the sound was incredible. That snarly growl that you get from a Stingray was ever present and all tone controls acted just the way they should. I'm actually so pleased at the moment that i'm gonna get either a RAY 34 or an SB14 in the coming months so that I have a 4 and 5 string. For now its defo relegated me CV Jazz as my main gigging bass.

Hopefully get pics up soon. Its one of the all black ones and it really does look a million bucks![/quote]

Nice one. These basses are really nice and get the job done. I wish i had got the SB14 instead of my Ray34, only because of the smaller neck. Saying that, it does of course have a different tone to the Ray34.
when i first came across these it was via Ed Friedland's video reviews. I was looking for a cheap SR4 at the time but i was more impressed with the tone from the SB14.

[quote name='steviedee' post='876171' date='Jun 24 2010, 09:42 AM']Hey hey nice one Chris sounds like you got a good bass there..[/quote]

Yeah its pretty nice! Having a wee play around with your 5 string the other week gave me the GAS and I was saving up for an EB SR5 when that one popped up on the 'bay. Took the risk with a cheeky bid and got it for £300 so i'm well chuffed. Seems like a lot of bass for the cash. I'm gonna hook it up with a set of Status Rounds shortly before popping it in to Egypt's for a setup.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='876181' date='Jun 24 2010, 09:54 AM']Nice one. These basses are really nice and get the job done. I wish i had got the SB14 instead of my Ray34, only because of the smaller neck. Saying that, it does of course have a different tone to the Ray34.
when i first came across these it was via Ed Friedland's video reviews. I was looking for a cheap SR4 at the time but i was more impressed with the tone from the SB14.[/quote]

Yeah I saw the vids, they looked and sounded great and i'm well impressed with the RAY 35. Think i'd quite like the all black SB14 - it looks really classy and since I love a narrower neck (a la Jazz bass) I think I could get on with it quite well.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='876195' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:16 AM']Yeah I saw the vids, they looked and sounded great and i'm well impressed with the RAY 35. Think i'd quite like the all black SB14 - it looks really classy and since I love a narrower neck (a la Jazz bass) I think I could get on with it quite well.[/quote]

Same here. I just cant get on with a P neck and while i was prepared to work at the Ray34 neck im a lot happier with the CV Jazz now.
I guess the SB14 is a bit of both, and yes, all black looks fantastic. My Ray34 is also the black one and its one of the classiest looking basses ive owned. Its very close to my old Lakland DJ5, i guess thats why i went for that colour.

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='876192' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:14 AM']Yeah its pretty nice! Having a wee play around with your 5 string the other week gave me the GAS and I was saving up for an EB SR5 when that one popped up on the 'bay. Took the risk with a cheeky bid and got it for £300 so i'm well chuffed. Seems like a lot of bass for the cash. I'm gonna hook it up with a set of Status Rounds shortly before popping it in to Egypt's for a setup.[/quote]

I've been looking for a Ray35 on Ebay too. Drat! I missed that one!

[quote name='gjones' post='876231' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:59 AM']I've been looking for a Ray35 on Ebay too. Drat! I missed that one![/quote]

It was incorrectly listed in the heading and advertised as local pickup only. I contacted the seller and they said they are happy enough to post - its amazing how many times that happens and you usually find you'll get a better deal on it too.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='TommyK' post='955291' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:55 PM']Has anyone tried a Ray35 against a genuine Stingray5? Any opinions/comments?

+Whos got a Ray35 and what do you make of it?

Cheers. :)[/quote]

Surprised this has been dragged up from the dust of the past haha.

I still have my Ray 35 and its still great.

As per my previous comments they'll give you an answer as to my opinion of it having played an SR5.

Well i went and did it, i just bought a Sterling by MM Ray35. Same as in my Avatar...and..........

I am just astounded by how good it is! :)

I had a "proper" Stingray 5 for a while and was pretty disappointed with the sound of it compared to my Stingray 4. Although i loved the neck and general feel of it it just sounded a bit weak and in particular I thought the B was really muddy sounding and eventually traded it for another Ray 4. I still wanted to get another 5er so tried loads of different makes and thought none of them were all that good. I came to the conclusion that maybe i was wrong about the Stingray 5 and should have another go with one. Anyway the bits i had read about the Ray35 and the Youtube clips were all encourageing so rather than wait for a second hand MM, i picked this up for £639 brand new.

I will try and have a go at doing a proper review later but for now, it sounds absolutely[size=6] MASSIVE[/size] Just as punchy and snarly as my Stingray 4, electrics all seem good quality (no nasty humming etc..), thunderous B string and the finish & build quality is absolutely brilliant and pretty much comparable to the real thing.

I don't know if you can tell, but i like it,.... a lot!!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='962131' date='Sep 20 2010, 01:25 PM']Im sure i read somewhere that a Ray35 is like a SR4 with an extra string, whereas a SR5 is more like a Sterling.

Ive probably got it wrong though.

Glad you like your Ray35. How does the neck feel compared to your old SR5?[/quote]

Yeah Dave, I'd say you were right, sounds just like my SR4 but only with a B as well.

The neck to me feels identical to my old SR5 and other SR5s that i have tried in the past. Only noticable difference is the tuners are not MM stamped and look like a cheaper copy of the originals (they are identical shape wise) and the dot markers are just some sort of basic plain plastic type stuff as apposed to Mother of pearl or whatever.

It plays just as well as my old SR5 for sure, just sounds so much better, to my ears anyway..

The other difference i would say is that i reckon it is a bit heavier weight wise. It is certainly a bit more lumpy than my SR4. When i do the review i will weigh it and find out for sure.