Why become a member? ×

De-fretting Rickenbacker 4003 or Alternatives?

faceman

I've been thinking about doing something with my Rickenbacker 4003 Blueburst. Ever since I have my StingRay, I've never had the need to play it live really. I don't want to ever sell it because it was a present from a family member but at the moment, it's not a massive amount of use. The StingRay is much nicer at finger style and the pick tone is almost as good. For the amount of songs I play pick it's not worth it. My interest in Jazz and Jazz Fusion is picking up momentum with each day so I'm really tempted for a fretless.

At the moment I've been looking at the Squier Vintage Modifed Fretless and the Ibanez Musician for sale here. I played the Squier in a shop and loved the feel but know that I would probably outgrow it in a year or two. The Ibanez is £400 but I've heard it can't get a good growl, something which would defiantly be nice.

There is a third option - could I get the 4003 de-fretted? I wouldn't want to risk it myself but somewhere like the Gallery can do it for £90. Would this be done easily and would there be any complications as it is a Rickenbacker?

I was listening to Chris Brubeck (son of Dave) who plays some excellent fretless Jazz on a Rickenbacker - see this for an example

Or attempting to find a 4003FL for ridiculous money (such as £1,950 here [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Rickenbacker-4003-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-BLUE-BURST-/220618418763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item335de1ea4b#ht_2306wt_1053&#33%3b%29"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-Rickenbacker-40...06wt_1053!)[/url]

Thoughts as usual gang?

:)

Edited by faceman

[quote name='Musicman20' post='873134' date='Jun 20 2010, 11:29 PM']Id keep it as it is. Down the line you might regret it. Keep it fretted and save for a second hand or new fretless Stingray/Sterling/Big Al/Bongo...they would be my choice in fretless, or a Tony Franklin Fretless P.[/quote]

This is true, I'm just concerned that defretting will destroy the neck and the value. If i got a 4003FL, could always be swapped in the future for a 4003 again. It's just I can't see it getting much playing at the moment so just thinking of getting something useful :)

[quote name='faceman' post='873147' date='Jun 20 2010, 06:48 PM']This is true, I'm just concerned that defretting will destroy the neck and the value. If i got a 4003FL, could always be swapped in the future for a 4003 again. It's just I can't see it getting much playing at the moment so just thinking of getting something useful :)[/quote]

I'd bet on that Rickie becoming useful again, with the frets. I've lost a couple Rics and regret it- it'll be at least a good year before I can afford another one. Not exactly the same thing, but that one's almost a rare-bird, and if you like it, well...

...just 2-pence.

No, Don't do it! :rolleyes:

I think there would be a few problems to be overcome as well. The Ric's have a lacquered finger board, and also the binding goes over the end of the frets. Not to mention it may well devalue the bass somewhat, all though this probably isn't such an issue as it was given to you by a family member.

I would suggest get a Squier fretless Jazz, stick some decent pickups in it, and leave the 4003 as Rickenbacker intended :)

heh... I'd say go for it! I felt exactly the same about my 62 Jazz which was a 'case inhabitant'. I already had the Ray which was getting most of my air time, so I had the Jazz defretted and dropped in a preamp. Now it's my main player.

This was against the advice of all and sundry who said 'that's the best way to ruin a good bass ect.'

I had the frets stoned to the tangs so it's got nice metal lines where the frets were. One has since fallen out however.

It's really nice to have the Jazz back in the fold.

Most sane folks will try to put you off so you must go with your instincts Luke!

PS... I'm taking it for granted that you will keep it and not sell it on?

If it's a seller then leave it. Ahh... I see it's a keeper... then do it. I've had no regrets.

Edited by bh2

After thinking about it, I don't think I'd ever de-fret a through-neck instrument.
I'd much rather get a bolt-on and just swap the necks. Then I could chop and change without any permanent changes being made, and be able to return it to original if I needed to sell it on.

You'd regret de-fretting the Rick without a doubt.

Plus, as Beedster rightly says, the Rick in that vid has had some major pickup mods. Without those you'd still likely not get the tone you were after, and then you'd regret the switch even more.

I'd get s/h US Fender Jazz for around £500 and have the Gallery slap a chunk of ebony on the neck. Reselling that would be a breeze.

Edited by rjb

Tell you what. And this coming from a guy who would never de-fret a Ric- not for religious reasons- I just wouldn't... get yourself a Warmouth fretless neck with an Ebony fingerboard, find a Fender or Squire body to stick it on. I will bet even money you'll be glad you did. Warm, huge and some nice growl will be evident.

I had an '83 made-in-Japan Fender body I did this with, and it was beautiful. Had a 'Select' (EMG) P-p'up installed, was killer.