Why become a member? ×

Am I glad I got a Lakland Decade before they changed the pickup covers?

EssentialTension

[quote name='Clarky' post='872113' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:26 PM']PS you seem to be at one with your p bass in your avatar Dave :rolleyes:[/quote]
Thanks, I bought the white Precision bass from Beedster and then had to have plastic surgery and dye my hair to match the photo. :)

Do you like my sofa?

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='872117' date='Jun 19 2010, 08:31 PM']Thanks, I bought the bass from Beedster and then had to have plastic surgery and dye my hair to match the photo. :)

Do you like my sofa?[/quote]
White velour sofas are timelessly classy

[quote name='GЯДИК' post='872213' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:08 PM']The US ones still have the old covers, they changed them on the Skyline series as a cost cutting measure[/quote]
Correct - mind you, you can have almost anything you like on a US. As well as cost cutting, apparently there was an earthing problem with the old covers which they are working to fix - nothing wrong with mine though.

Lakland also reduced the price on the Skyline Decade and you can still have the original covers initially for an upcharge but later - it is hoped - for the same price.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='872227' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:33 PM']Awful change! The original is much nicer.

Is this a new Lakland/Hanson decision?[/quote]
I don't know all the background but maybe. I discovered it from a thread at the [url="http://www.laklandowners.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=59&func=view&catid=3&id=14163"]Lakland Owners Group forum[/url].

Lakland CEO John Pirruccello says there:
[quote]We wanted to get the price of this bass down to the same price as a 44-60, this was the best way to do it in the near term. We are busy trying to fix the issues with Chisonic production in general so it's not as labor intensive. We are making good progress. Once we get this worked out, we will offer users a choice of classic chrome shells or LH3 shells for the SAME lower price.

The LH3 shells are actually the same size as the ChiSonic shells but with dog ear mounts. We've made a bunch of these as special requests for people that don't like the chromes. (I gotta say the ebay pic doesn't do the bass justice with the pick guard plastic still on)

Anyway, my ultimate goal is to offer players more choice and value. We also dropped the retail of the 5502 & 4402 deluxe models by a hundred bucks.[/quote]

... and later ...
[quote]Just to be clear, the chrome ChiSonic Skyline Decade will be either a no cost option or a small up charge, depends on a couple of things we still need to work out. Either way the chrome cover version will still be substantially lower in price. We can do singles or hum buckers in either shell.[/quote]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='872201' date='Jun 19 2010, 09:53 PM']Thank you all for the kind comments on my pickup covers and my new look.

For those taking an interest in my sofa I though you might like to see just how large it is;

[/quote]

My word that's [size=6]huge[/size], btw nice slacks, could you send the number for your tailor? :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='872242' date='Jun 19 2010, 10:58 PM']My word that's [size=6]huge[/size], btw nice slacks, could you send the number for your tailor? :)[/quote]
Here you go: [url="http://www.tennesseetreasures.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=117&Itemid=27"]Bernard Lansky[/url]

Yep, the new look pickup covers are horrible. Funny as I was looking at this bass today and noticed that the fretless version is only available on the US model :) Also noticed that Lakland have renamed a lot of their models. No more Duck Dunn, Bob Glaud or Joe Osborn it seems.

Oh and Dave, have you hung that picture up yet thats lying on the seat at the end of the room?

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='Linus27' post='872306' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:57 PM']Yep, the new look pickup covers are horrible. Funny as I was looking at this bass today and noticed that the fretless version is only available on the US model :) Also noticed that Lakland have renamed a lot of their models. No more Duck Dunn, Bob Glaud or Joe Osborn it seems.[/quote]
You might find a used fretless US Lakland at an acceptable price but it might have to be a 4-94 not a Decade.

[quote name='Linus27' post='872306' date='Jun 19 2010, 11:57 PM']Oh and Dave, have you hung that picture up yet thats lying on the seat at the end of the room?[/quote]
I think you'll find that is my tray on which the staff deliver my food to my sofa.