Why become a member? ×

Dumb question of the day

Paul S

I am almost embarrassed to ask but, well, I don't know :) .

My Trace Elliot amp has two speaker outputs. What is the difference between plugging one cabinet into each or using one then daisy-chaining the speakers together? Or is there no difference?

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='870683' date='Jun 18 2010, 12:24 PM']The speaker cab sockets will be wired in parallel, as will the outputs on the amp, so no difference whatsoever![/quote]

If all else is equal, it is better to plug both cabs into separate sockets on the amp. Here's why. If you were to daisy chain Amp - Cab 1 - Cab 2 then there are two things to note - one is that the speaker cable between Amp and Cab 1 is carrying double the load, and the second is that the total length of speaker cable between the Amp and Cab 2 is twice as much as if you weren't daisy chaining.

S.P.

Brilliant. Ta.

I had always used the two outputs but when using a pair of supplied cabs at a new rehearsal place the other week the guy said to daisy chain them, as if using both outputs was wrong in some way.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='870685' date='Jun 18 2010, 12:27 PM']and the second is that the total length of speaker cable between the Amp and Cab 2 is twice as much as if you weren't daisy chaining.[/quote]
You sort of lost me there. Why is this a good thing?

If there was a long distance between amp and speakers, (e.g 50 feet from power amp to stereo left and right), I'd have thought to have one cable twice as long as the other wouldn't be desirable, ideally they should be the same length. Besides that, the length of cables were are talking about (from bass amp to cab) are very short anyway and the difference in performance between a 2ft cable and a 4ft one must surely be practically non existent.

Or have I just read this wrong? :)

I'm thinking the same - for some reason I;ve just remembered the story about the audiophiles that were fooled with the wire coathangers joined together when they thought it was Monster super dooper speaker cable.

I've always used both speaker outputs from the amp when I've been using two cabs except from my current setup where I link my 2x15" to my Brightbox . The reason for this is that it is what I was told to use by Guitarist magazine and my local music store so I'm not saying either is wrong just what I was told by different people

If you're not playing stadiums then there shouldn't be a problem, if you are then its all in the mind