Why become a member? ×

BottomEndian's basses

BottomEndian

All of a sudden, the planets aligned. The house was empty, the light was right, it wasn't raining... so I took some pictures.

First up, the ACG Skelf single-cut. It's a strange beastie, this one, but it's absolutely stunning to play and it sounds incredible. Myrtle top and back, chambered swamp ash body, ash/wenge neck and Indian ebony board (with maple fretlines... and wenge facings on the front and back of the headstock). 33" scale length... and no magnetic pickups! Piezo only, courtesy of the Hipshot bridge with Graphtech saddles feeding into the awesome ACG EQ02 3K/S preamp, which is amazingly versatile. It's strung up with TI flats, B to G. No flappiness you might expect from the B on 33" scale. If anything, it's tighter and more uniform with the other strings than my SR5.

I got this bass about a month ago, and I've only picked up one other bass since. And then I put it straight back down again after one song. :)

More to come...

Thanks for the kind words!

Next, the 1993 Music Man StingRay5 fretless. Legend has it (i.e. I've heard this third-hand) that the original pau ferro fingerboard fell apart, so the original owner got it replaced with ebony and had the new board polyester-coated. Also (according to the EBMM forum), it's one of the latest SR5s that Ernie Ball have seen [i]without[/i] a phantom coil. Just a plain ol' humbucker there.

Looovely bird's-eye maple neck on this, and I've obviously retrofitted a Hipshot Xtender on the low B, just for those extra-doom drop-A moments. :) Status half-wounds on this, keeping enough top end for some serious mwaaah, but giving it a touch of flatty thump too. Great strings.

More on the way...

Up until this very moment, single cuts simply didnt do it for me, but damn... that ACG is very very strangely beautiful!

one of these days when I've more money than sense me thinks.....

[i](and, after I give the good Mr Shuker a deposit on something sweet...!!!)[/i]

Now for the OLP. It's the Tony Levin signature 5-string with quilted maple top, but it's undergone a few modifications with a previous owner (it did the rounds on the For Sale forum here before finding its way to me). It's now got a brass nut, a Nordstrand pickup and a John East preamp. In all honesty, with that pup and preamp, it's a better-sounding bass than my "proper" SR5 (and more sonically flexible too). Shame the neck's a bit more baseball-bat.

Frets and roundwounds... not really me, but this bass has its uses. DR Sunbeams on this one.

There's nowt to see on the back, but ah well...

Still a couple to go...

The Music Man SUB. I love this bass completely. It's that simple. It's served me well for many a year, and it always tempts me back after I put it down for a while. Aggressive, thick, meaty... perfect for heavy music.

This one's completely stock, apart from the fact I've taken the hideous pickguard off. Oh, and it's strung in fifths, C-G-D-A (bottom to top). I've used the outer four strings from a 5-string set (D'Addario nickel rounds) to keep the tensions sensible, and it works beautifully. Allows me to play ridiculously angular lines, and chords across a couple of octaves in one position.

One more...

Last and definitely least, but still with a strong place in my heart... the Hondo Deluxe Series 830. My first bass, bought from our very own cd_david when he was my college lecturer (and I believe it may well have been [i]his[/i] first bass too, back in the early 80s).

I've whacked the EMGs in (battery wedged in the rout under the scratchplate :)) and put a new bridge on (the old one was pitted to hell and back). Currently strung with Chromes in standard tuning, but I've abused this one a lot, taking it down to drop-A and drop-Ab in the past, with correspondingly heavy strings. Still fun to play now and again, but I might just give this one to the kids if they take an interest in a few years. Fingers crossed.

(As you can tell, it hasn't been living in a case recently, hence the almighty dust buildup.)

[quote name='aonindy' post='868531' date='Jun 15 2010, 10:23 PM']Up until this very moment, single cuts simply didnt do it for me, but damn... that ACG is very very strangely beautiful![/quote]
I was like that too until [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72396"]Eude's ACG[/url] converted me.

I've never named a musical instrument before, but somehow my ACG is crying out to me to be named... Myrtle, maybe? :)

Looksee what you've done to me ... I've just mailed Alan *and* got a response...... <sigh> ...
will young oliver ever get the leg operation he needs so badly ??? .....
mmm, let me think really deeply.... nah, shag it, I'm going for one of these as soon as Alan's taking orders again :rolleyes:

'Tis is a thing of extreme beauty - I think its the lack of visible pup that makes it....

Jealous ... extremly jealous (and delighted for ya!)

/A.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='868559' date='Jun 15 2010, 10:48 PM']I was like that too until [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72396"]Eude's ACG[/url] converted me.

I've never named a musical instrument before, but somehow my ACG is crying out to me to be named... Myrtle, maybe? :)[/quote]

Edited by aonindy

[quote name='Conan' post='868705' date='Jun 16 2010, 08:04 AM']Lovely basses mate! Just think though, all that time taking pix when you could have been mowing your lawn!! :rolleyes:[/quote]
I was wondering how long it'd be before someone mentioned that. :)

Brand new lawn (garden just landscaped), so we haven't been able to step on it for a few weeks while it's been settling. Within 20 minutes of my photoshoot, Mrs Endian decided she'd had enough, so she got mowing. Lawn now under control.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='868556' date='Jun 15 2010, 10:46 PM']Last and definitely least, but still with a strong place in my heart... the Hondo Deluxe Series 830. My first bass, bought from our very own cd_david when he was my college lecturer (and I believe it may well have been [i]his[/i] first bass too, back in the early 80s).[/quote]

Owain? Bloody hell, never made the connection, how you doing mate?

[quote name='cd_david' post='868918' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:23 PM']Owain? Bloody hell, never made the connection, how you doing mate?[/quote]
I'm good, cheers Dave. Got a new lawn, anyway. :) Enjoying playing bass, may have some local gigs coming up in the near future with a very lovely and very talented acoustic singer-songwriter type (and still playing with Tim, although I'm drumming these days). How's you? You still at the college?

BTW, can you confirm... was the Hondo your first bass? And what year's it from?

QUOTE (BottomEndian @ Jun 16 2010, 12:35 PM)
How's you? You still at the college?

Hmmmm yes

QUOTE (BottomEndian @ Jun 16 2010, 12:35 PM)
BTW, can you confirm... was the Hondo your first bass? And what year's it from?

Well, as you know im a greedy collector, even back then (1984) this was my 3rd bass, Kay Ric copy first Hondo 830 deluxe 2nd then this. You got the 3rd but better one, the one i kept had dimarzios in but this had the Grover machine heads and better neck but less sentimental attachment though.

Love the look of the AGCs tried one out a few years ago and would love to gig one, you will have to let me know when your next local gig is would be great to see you and tim again.

You still up at Hexham way? we should organise a mini bass day if you get down the coast over the summer, Tea, biscuits and bass, not necesarrily in that order.

Cheers

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='868941' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:47 PM']Hmmmm yes[/quote]
:rolleyes:
Lovin' the enthusiasm there.

[quote name='cd_david' post='868941' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:47 PM']Well, as you know im a greedy collector, even back then (1984) this was my 3rd bass, Kay Ric copy first Hondo 830 deluxe 2nd then this. You got the 3rd but better one, the one i kept had dimarzios in but this had the Grover machine heads and better neck but less sentimental attachment though.[/quote]
Yeah, the neck on that Hondo's proper comfy. Needs a fretjob now, but it's still holding up, even after a good few years of down-tuned abuse.

[quote name='cd_david' post='868941' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:47 PM']Love the look of the AGCs tried one out a few years ago and would love to gig one, you will have to let me know when your next local gig is would be great to see you and tim again.[/quote]
Will do. I'll put a thread up on here when I've got something organised, and I'll try to remember to draw your attention to it. :)

[quote name='cd_david' post='868941' date='Jun 16 2010, 12:47 PM']You still up at Hexham way? we should organise a mini bass day if you get down the coast over the summer, Tea, biscuits and bass, not necesarrily in that order.[/quote]
Aye, living Corbridge, working Hexham, now with two little 'uns. But a [b]mini[/b] bass day? Surely it's time for another proper North-East bash! Where's the North-East Chapter's social secretary when you need him? Michael? Michael?!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='868975' date='Jun 16 2010, 01:24 PM']Surely it's time for another proper North-East bash! Where's the North-East Chapter's social secretary when you need him? Michael? Michael?![/quote]

I'd be up for that! Not that you lads with all ya posh gear would be interested in my low-rent stuff... :)