Why become a member? ×

BottomEndian's basses

BottomEndian

[quote name='Truckstop' post='982479' date='Oct 9 2010, 01:03 PM']Don't hate me.[/quote]
:)

It's piezo-only. No magnetic pickup at all. Each bridge saddle contains a piezo-electric element, which creates a voltage caused by the vibrations in the string that passes over it. It's the same thing you find in an electro-acoustic bass (or guitar). The wires from each saddle run through holes in the bridge into the control cavity, where they all get added together and run into the preamp.

End result: if you put your ear up against the side of the bass and play it, that's roughly the sound that comes out of the piezo, only more so.

[quote name='Truckstop' post='982493' date='Oct 9 2010, 01:15 PM']Ooh, that's interesting.
Do they cost more than standard pickups?[/quote]
In this case, it's a Hipshot A-type bridge loaded with Graph Tech piezo saddles. Looking at their websites, the un-piezo'd Hipshot 5-string bridge is US$126, while the Graph Tech version with piezo saddles is US$276. So that's basically US$150 for the piezo saddles, or about £95 at current rates.

So I'd say it's a comparable price with a reasonable magnetic pickup... but then there's the cost of the bridge as well, if you don't already have a bridge that you can retrofit piezo saddles to. And there may be some extra electronic gubbins you'd need under the hood as well. That realm is beyond my ken. :)

Oh lord... something ridiculous happened.

I ended up with [i]another[/i] ACG! :)

It's one of Alan's Graft models (his budget range), and this one's a prototype for a satin black finish. I think it's worked out really nicely. It's a Recurve shape, with 4 strings, frets and a John East 2-band preamp. Weighing in at a featherweight 7lb 11oz, here it is:

And that finish was an absolute swine to photograph.

[quote name='cd_david' post='990099' date='Oct 16 2010, 12:20 PM']Its a slippery slope mate. :lol:[/quote]
I'm happy to slide down it for now...

Speaking of which, you don't happen to fancy [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=106141"]a fretless 5-string augmentation to your Ray collection[/url], do you? I could do you a special local deal for local people. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='990103' date='Oct 16 2010, 12:24 PM']I'm happy to slide down it for now...

Speaking of which, you don't happen to fancy [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=106141"]a fretless 5-string augmentation to your Ray collection[/url], do you? I could do you a special local deal for local people. :)[/quote]
I've been mulling this over and I'm sorely tempted myself, BE. (Even though I'm not local! :lol: )
I'm just considering selling my beloved 4-string fretless Ray to fund this.
If there are any interested parties, I'll have mine with me at the South East Bass Bash.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='990192' date='Oct 16 2010, 01:47 PM']I've been mulling this over and I'm sorely tempted myself, BE. (Even though I'm not local! :) )
I'm just considering selling my beloved 4-string fretless Ray to fund this.
If there are any interested parties, I'll have mine with me at the South East Bass Bash.[/quote]
Your 4-string looks like an absolute corker too!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='990201' date='Oct 16 2010, 01:56 PM']Your 4-string looks like an absolute corker too![/quote]
You know it, m8. :)
Whereas my own SR5 has it's own share of mojo and has seen a lot of action, the fretless is pretty near mint.