Why become a member? ×

Ratteling G tuning peg on my new CV jazz.

dave_bass5

Ive just received my new Squier CV Jazz and while im impressed with it the G tuner is rattling really loudly. It makes playing it unplugged out of the question.

Its the bit that you turn, not the bit you wind the string around. there is slight movement in the shaft.

I know i can buy some new ones but i dont feel i should have to.

Any ideas what i can do to fix it? If i dont get it sorted by tomorrow i expect ill send it back.

so much for these basses rivalling MIM.

Cheers.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='863499' date='Jun 10 2010, 04:27 PM']Ive just received my new Squier CV Jazz and while im impressed with it the G tuner is rattling really loudly. ...

[S]o much for these basses rivalling MIM.[/quote]

And, of course, there's absolutely no doubt it's a manufacturing defect/quality control issue at Squier and there's absolutely no possibility the instrument has taken a knock in transit - from the manufacturer to the distributor; from the distributor to the reseller; from the reseller to you, the customer.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='863512' date='Jun 10 2010, 05:38 PM']Does tightening the big screw help? Or putting more of a bend in the wee thin plate under the cog?
Maybe a bit of Vaseline on the threaded part will stop it rattling so much.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply Rich.

No, none of that will help.
I "think" its the actual cloverleaf part thats vibrating. Holding the post makes no difference but holding the cloverleaf stops it.

Im sure it wont come through the speaker and im in two mind weather to let it go or not.

Maybe i should just put up with it over the weekend and then get some hipshots next week, or at least one.

The action seems very high but if i can get it playable maybe ill keep it.

[quote name='noelk27' post='863559' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:22 PM']And, of course, there's absolutely no doubt it's a manufacturing defect/quality control issue at Squier and there's absolutely no possibility the instrument has taken a knock in transit - from the manufacturer to the distributor; from the distributor to the reseller; from the reseller to you, the customer.[/quote]

Well it was in a sealed box, with no dents. And the way its packed there is nothing actually touching the machine heads, nor could there be inside the box.
And b

Sorry if i read your post the wrong way but if your up on a high horse about someone not being happy with a bass that costs a week wages then please calm down.
This bass it unplayable acousticly and no matter how much it costs this isnt right.

Sorry to hear this Dave. Really disappointing as these basses get rave reviews. I'm afraid I'm no good with tuners so can't offer any help. You should not have to buy a set of hipshots. That's not right. Have you spoken to the retailer and asked about their returns policy? Its possible they will send you a replacement and pick up the faulty bass on the same run.

[quote name='Clarky' post='863608' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:56 PM']Sorry to hear this Dave. Really disappointing as these basses get rave reviews. I'm afraid I'm no good with tuners so can't offer any help. You should not have to buy a set of hipshots. That's not right. Have you spoken to the retailer and asked about their returns policy? Its possible they will send you a replacement and pick up the faulty bass on the same run.[/quote]

Cheers Clarky.

Sending it back isn't a problem. I did speak to them and they said fill in the on line form and they will get it picked up. I guess i could ask them to send a replacement out at the same time but not sure if they will, or even have any more in stock. Maybe ill call them again tomorrow.
I was really looking forward to using it this weekend so thats why im considering keeping it. By all accounts a lot of people change the tuners anyway so im willing to do it, as long as the bass is playable as it is first.
The problem is once i start messing around with it then i might have trouble returning it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='863629' date='Jun 10 2010, 07:27 PM']The problem is once i start messing around with it then i might have trouble returning it.[/quote]
Exactly. Send it back. Tell you what, I could do you a favour and lend you Sid for the gig if you wanted. Slim necked punchy Precision with flats on? If thats of interest I will bring it to my office near Liverpool Street tomorrow and I could hand over at lunch-time? Just a thought

[quote name='Clarky' post='863633' date='Jun 10 2010, 07:34 PM']Exactly. Send it back. Tell you what, I could do you a favour and lend you Sid for the gig if you wanted. Slim necked punchy Precision with flats on? If thats of interest I will bring it to my office near Liverpool Street tomorrow and I could hand over at lunch-time? Just a thought[/quote]

Thanks very much for that kid offer Clarky. much appreciated but really no need.
Its not that i need a bass, i have the Ray34 that i can take, it more i was looking forward to playing a Jazz again.

Ive just put some electrical tape over it and its fine now. Of course it looks silly (its blue) but its much better now. Its certainly something i can live with for a few days and i can refine it now i know it works. I did try putting some solder on it but that just fell off.
The only other "faults" are its quite noisy with either of the pups backed off. I know this is normal in some places but its not normal for me at home.
Again, i do plan on getting some Wizards so again, i can live with it for now. And the screws holding the back pup in are sitting at an angle, again, something i can live with for now.
These are all things im happy to put up with at this price point though. and to be expected in a way.

The bass feels really nice, the neck seems to be good (although i will shim it if i keep it) and the action is how like it. Ive checked the finish and thats good and the neck pocket is fine. Im now thinking should i risk getting another one that might not be as nice to play.

Ill call the shop again tomorow and see if they can sort me out a machine head. It will cost them less ot do this than to take the bass back.

Cheers again.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='863562' date='Jun 10 2010, 06:23 PM']Thanks for the reply Rich.

No, none of that will help.
I "think" its the actual cloverleaf part thats vibrating. Holding the post makes no difference but holding the cloverleaf stops it....[/quote]
Yeah I got that. Have you tried putting the Vaseline under here...

... to fill the gap between the post and it's cowling.

I've had this happen to me before but I just can't remember what I did to alleviate it. I'm sure it was just a bit of squeezing and twisting and it just stopped.
If you took the tuner off and bent it just the tiniest bit at the points indicated above I'm sure it would catch it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='863648' date='Jun 10 2010, 07:55 PM']Yeah I got that. Have you tried putting the Vaseline under here...

.. to fill the gap between the post and it's cowling.

I've had this happen to me before but I just can't remember what I did to alleviate it. I'm sure it was just a bit of squeezing and twisting and it just stopped.
If you took the tuner off and bent it just the tiniest bit at the points indicated above I'm sure it would catch it.[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to do that diagram but its definitely not that.
Its at the part where the post connects to the cloverleaf plate at the top of the tuning peg. Its like its not connected properly.
As i said, ive got tape on the join and the buzzing has completely gone.

Here's a pic of my "fix".

[attachment=51841:IMG_1948.JPG]

Edited by dave_bass5

No probs. :)

Wow I've never seen that before. They are supposed to be crimped in place and sealed with the chroming process.
A spot of superglue would work in the short term (maybe longer) as long as it's not extremely loose and the glue's not susceptible to breaking by tuning. But yeah that's more like a faulty part that should be replaced rather than something that needs a tweak.

Cheers guys.
I'll give the super glue a go first. There is no real movement to speak off, its not like its twisting or anything. It just needs something to put slight pressure on it to stop it buzzing. In fact there isnt a gap under the join that i can see.
Ill call the shop tomorrow and explain whats happened, hopefully they can send me a replacement out at some point. It will be better for them if they can.

Right, so other than the single coil hum im very happy with the bass.
Spending this much means im happy to upgrade it when i can (but not to be forced to). I will replace the pups with some Wizard 64's soon but im happy to gig this at the weekend.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='863706' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:00 PM']Maybe mix up some Araldite & get it under the join so it'll set the big tab solid - I don't think superglue will do this, but I'm sure Araldite will - bloody messy to use, tho'.

G.[/quote]
The beauty of superglue though is that having a lower viscosity, the capillary action draws it into whatever you are trying to glue.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='863722' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:16 PM']The beauty of superglue though is that having a lower viscosity, the capillary action draws it into whatever you are trying to glue.[/quote]

Spot on. Ive put some glue on and its worked a treat. Hmmm, do i call the shop or not?
I still intend to change the tuners so maybe ill just live with this for now.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='863740' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:34 PM']If as you say there wasn't much movement in the first place, the superglue should hold for a fair old while.

Woohoo! :)[/quote]

Yeah, its going to be fine, thanks again for the Super Glue idea.

I will still get them changed though, they feel a bit hit or miss.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='863734' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:27 PM']Spot on. Ive put some glue on and its worked a treat. Hmmm, do i call the shop or not?
I still intend to change the tuners so maybe ill just live with this for now.[/quote]
If you're definitely happy with the rest and you're going to change the tuners anyway at some point then I'd just accept it as it is.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='863744' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:38 PM']If you're definitely happy with the rest and you're going to change the tuners anyway at some point then I'd just accept it as it is.[/quote]

Yeah, i think i will. If its all fixed it would be hard for me to prove i had the problem anyway.
Right, its a keeper, thanks for all the help guys.
Im now off to (re) learn 3 lions for our gig on sat ;-)