Why become a member? ×

I gigged the Squier Classic Vibe Precision

Grand Wazoo

I played a gig tonight at a private party for a friend's 18 year old daughter's birthday, in a big mansion house in London's West Kensington. Plenty of Henry's and Henrietta's and old women full of botox.

I took with me my trusty amps but I have been using the Mark Bass CMD102P with a 15in G&K extention cab while the Trace was left in the backroom as a plan b in case the MB went pop. There was a hiired PA console, drums, 2 guitarist, myself on bass, one of the guitarist is the main singer, and our drummer also sings half the songs.

Basswise I was torn between taking my Ernie Ball 25th or the Bongo, but in the end I decided to take my Classic Vibe Fiesta Red Squier Precision bass with the moo Jazz as a backup. This precision bass is one of my latest purchase and it had never been out on a gig yet so I thought what the heck!

As soon as I've bought the Squier I've fitted a Seymour Duncan pickup, what they call the the vintage-correct model SPB-1 [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/basslines/vintage-1/spb1_vintage_fo/"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bass...pb1_vintage_fo/[/url] and my God that bass was on fire tonight! The sweetest tone and a superb definition, at no point I felt like I was playing a rather inexpensive bass and all my mates thought it really sounded ace.

I am very pleased with my choice and I am now more and more convinced that the CV Precision is a very respectable instrument, not to be underestimated, truly a new classic.

We played the 2nd part of the gig after the birthday cake was cut and the candles were blown, when the lights went out I quickly replaced the Precision in the case and took out the cow spotted Squier Jazz that none of the guest had yet seen as it was in the case as a spare, tuned it in the dark and when the lights came back on we played Californication, and I was centre stage with the guitarist and everyone's jaw was dropped when they saw it, so much that they all started to applaude and cheer, I was chuuffed! Hehe that Jazz bass is a real shocker to the unsuspcting! :)

What can I say these basses rock!!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='bassman2790' post='860639' date='Jun 8 2010, 07:07 AM']Where did you get pink pick-up covers from? I had a difficult time finding white covers for my P-bass[/quote]

Sprayed them 2 coats of this from B&Q

White P-bass pickup covers? click here: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-precision-bass-guitar-pickup-covers-/130294572290?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1e56296502"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-precision-bass-g...=item1e56296502[/url]

Great story and that Moo Jazz looks outrageous. What model is that?

Ive just ordered a CV Jazz and im hoping everything ive read about them will be true. Im not sure what to expect as far as the thinner frets go but as i love the banjo frets Lakland use im guessing they wont be too different.
Ive been through some upper mid range (£1000) basses in the past two years but at the moment my only bass is a Ray34. I like it but feel i need a back up (and a change for now).
Im excited about getting the CV but also a bit confused as to how i ended up coming down to this price point. No disrespect to Squier though, i think its more vanity.

I do plan on upgrading the hardware, maybe put a Audere in it at some point but if it arrives before the weekend ill be taking it off to my gigs Sat and Sunday.

I also plan on getting the P model as well if the Jazz works out.

I've also got the fiesta red Precision and agree it's a great bass for comparatively little money. I was thinking of putting vintage Fender reverse tuners, a grooved saddle F bridge & a Wizard Thumper. But the bass is so good as stock, I'm leaving it alone for the time being.

Dave, don't worry about the CV Jazz. It really is as good as they say. I played another new one the other day & it had the most glorious flamed neck I've seen on a jazz in years. These really are the new JV's!

Rich :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='860845' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:56 AM']Dave, don't worry about the CV Jazz. It really is as good as they say. I played another new one the other day & it had the most glorious flamed neck I've seen on a jazz in years. These really are the new JV's!

Rich :)[/quote]

Cheers Rich.
Its funny but im not really a Jazz guy but i am looking forward to getting this. Probably because its so cheap i feel i have nothing to loose.

A bit OT.
I had one of the original JV P's. black with maple neck. I got it for £199 at the Wapping bass centre when they first came out. I never realised they were so sought after until l i took it in to the Bass centre a few years ago to get it set up. To me it was a cheap bass that had no re sell value so i had never bothered selling it and it had been in the wardrobe for years (while i was playing keys ).
I ended up selling it to the BC (probably got a bit ripped off) and got my first ever Jazz with the proceeds (a HW1).

EDIT: Just found out the shop i ordered from doesn't have it in stock, even though they said they do (no, its not GAK ;-).
Order cancelled and ill need to look elsewhere.

EDIT2: Re ordered. Ive only been back off holiday for less than 12 hours, its been hectic lol

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='860835' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:45 AM']Great story and that Moo Jazz looks outrageous. What model is that?[/quote]

It is in facts a Squier CV Jazz which I moo'ed. DId you not followed the transformation thread? :) click here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78623"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78623[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='860904' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:47 PM']It is in facts a Squier CV Jazz which I moo'ed. DId you not followed the transformation thread? :) click here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78623"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78623[/url][/quote]

I did look at that thread a while ago but had forgotten about it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='860857' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:04 PM']Cheers Rich.
Its funny but im not really a Jazz guy but i am looking forward to getting this. Probably because its so cheap i feel i have nothing to loose.

A bit OT.
I had one of the original JV P's. black with maple neck. I got it for £199 at the Wapping bass centre when they first came out. I never realised they were so sought after until l i took it in to the Bass centre a few years ago to get it set up. To me it was a cheap bass that had no re sell value so i had never bothered selling it and it had been in the wardrobe for years (while i was playing keys ).
I ended up selling it to the BC (probably got a bit ripped off) and got my first ever Jazz with the proceeds (a HW1).

EDIT: Just found out the shop i ordered from doesn't have it in stock, even though they said they do (no, its not GAK ;-).
Order cancelled and ill need to look elsewhere.

EDIT2: Re ordered. Ive only been back off holiday for less than 12 hours, its been hectic lol[/quote]

Welcome back to GAS Dave!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='860990' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:55 PM']LOL.
At least its low budget GAS now.
I was very saddened to find Bass Chat was blocked on the hotels WiFi all week. Just as well i had Talkbass ;-)[/quote]

Thats classic. What excuse did you give when you were on talkbass whilst on holiday?!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='860993' date='Jun 8 2010, 01:58 PM']Thats classic. What excuse did you give when you were on talkbass whilst on holiday?![/quote]

Checking my work email lol.

The girlfriend was glued to the sun loungers so me and my eldest son would take our ipods up to the WiFi spot for a while each day. Free WiFi and free beer, 41 degrees and a nice breeze.
I guess i came back in too good a mood.

I have the blue 60's CV P Bass and love it. I've gigged it with a couple of my bands and it sounds just right. There is something about a PBass that sits so well in the mix. I don't think i could go back to the hassle of lots of knobs and buttons etc

Cheers

Graeme

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='861655' date='Jun 8 2010, 11:32 PM']Thinking about getting another one and having it sprayed lake placid blue - with the tort plate it will look superb![/quote]
My apologies for going off topic but where do you send your bass bodies to be sprayed Lake Placid Blue? I've got a musicman body that i want to get done someday. What sort of cost is something like this?

Been looking at the CV Squire P too but have decided on the CV Squire Biffy Jazz as that too is Lake Placid Blue...and well i'm a J before P man - who knows P maybe on the cards one day, really like that LPB 51 reissue P also but can only afford one Squire soon and i'm 99% sure its going to be the Biffy having recently tried one. :)

[quote name='fender73' post='861393' date='Jun 8 2010, 07:53 PM']I have the blue 60's CV P Bass and love it. I've gigged it with a couple of my bands and it sounds just right. There is something about a PBass that sits so well in the mix. I don't think i could go back to the hassle of lots of knobs and buttons etc

Cheers

Graeme[/quote]

I'm massively GASing for that one in your avatar at the minute. I very nearly ordered one last night whilst drunk but resisted. :)

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='865393' date='Jun 12 2010, 05:43 PM']I'm massively GASing for that one in your avatar at the minute. I very nearly ordered one last night whilst drunk but resisted. :)[/quote]

Great bit of kit dude - got my normal amp back today and immediately dialled in some great sounds. Have another beer and order one!
Cheers
Graeme

[quote name='fender73' post='865402' date='Jun 12 2010, 05:49 PM']Great bit of kit dude - got my normal amp back today and immediately dialled in some great sounds. Have another beer and order one!
Cheers
Graeme[/quote]

Don't say that! I've had a few lagers from northern italy already!