Why become a member? ×

A belated hi from Manchester

Thunderthumbs

Never got round to a simple "Hello" so here goes.........HELLO!

Been playing bass for nearly 30 years now, and still love it. I'm still full of bad habits, and always on the lookout for something/someone that inspires me (Hadrien Feraud being the latest).

Bought my first bass around the age of 13/14 and taught myself how to play it (I'd had a bit of a background in music prior to that....played guitar for a few years before, and violin too - I was the leader of the South Manchester Youth Orchestra in my early days!).

Started out with a Kay bass (Gibson copy) and played through an old record player that had a mic input on it. Once I joined my first real band, bought an Ibanez precision copy, then a brown Fender Precision with a twisted neck. Since then I've been through numerous other basses and amps (Wem, Carlsbro, Trace Elliott, etc.).

Current set up includes:-
Lakland Joe Osborn 5 string (bought in a fit of GAS attack)
Fender Jazz Marcus Miller (which I bought earlier this year)
Warwick Thumb 5 string through neck (about 15 years old)
Warwick Streamer 4 string (cherry finish with red Sims LEDs) - SOLD to Pedro1020
1976 Black Fender Precision with Maple neck
EBS TD650 head
Ampeg SVT III Pro 450w Bass Amp - SOLD to peety
EBS Neoline 4 x 10
EBS Neoline 2 x 12
2 x SWR Goliath II 4 x 10 Speaker cabs - SOLD to dangerboy
Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro - SOLD to TPJ
EBS Multicomp pedal
EBS UniChorus/OctaBass/DynaVerb (all subject to GAS attacks again!)
AKG WMS40 Pro Flexx Wireless System

Played in covers bands mostly, and been with the latest one ("Seven Days" www.seven-days.net) nearly 2 years. Things are going pretty good at the moment.

Prior to that, had a break from playing regularly - fell out of love with it. Then got a few gigs with a mate of mine, and it all came flooding back. So I've got to thank him for getting me back on track.

Did some TV work a few years back. In the early days of the launch of Granada's "Sky" channel (GSB), when it became Men & Motors at 10pm, was the bass player in the house band for a few programmes:-
"Coming Soon" - magazine style programme fronted by Jenny Powell
"Elvis Has Just Left The Building" - comedy pop quiz in the same vein as Never Mind The Buzzcocks but on a much smaller budget. Fronted by Mike Sweeney (local DJ) with Noddy Holder and Clint Boon as team captains.
"Noddy's Electric Ladyland" - same as above, but Noddy took over as host when Sweeney went to work in London.

Had some great times on there, most notably backing Roy Wood (of Wizzard) doing one of his tracks, and Brian Conley (who really surprised me as a singer and a person to work with - no prima donna stuff with him). Highlight of the lot was an after show party where we just threw the gear up in the bar, and just played with whoever wanted to. We ended up with Fish of Marillion on vocals, and Uncle Peter (Woof, Bark, Donkey) off Reeves and Mortimer on drums!

Cheers all.

Edited by Thunderthumbs

• 2 months later...

Hello mate. It must have been a great experience being the house band for those shows. I am getting into some freelance music stuff for TV at the moment and really enjoy it, but being 'there' would be better!

I only went to Manchester for the first time for the last Bass Day. I loved it so much that I went back for a weekend a few months ago. I really like Manchester, it has a great vibe to it, and lots of parking in the centre (or seemed to, anyway!)

Cheers mate see you around

ped

P.s a Manchester bass bash sounds fun. Are you coming to the one in Preston?

[quote name='ped' post='134923' date='Feb 6 2008, 12:02 PM']Hello mate. It must have been a great experience being the house band for those shows. I am getting into some freelance music stuff for TV at the moment and really enjoy it, but being 'there' would be better!

I only went to Manchester for the first time for the last Bass Day. I loved it so much that I went back for a weekend a few months ago. I really like Manchester, it has a great vibe to it, and lots of parking in the centre (or seemed to, anyway!)

Cheers mate see you around

ped

P.s a Manchester bass bash sounds fun. Are you coming to the one in Preston?[/quote]
Yeah, it was fantastic. Like I say, it was only on a low budget, but great fun while we did it. Had some bizarre moments doing some of the different programs. Probably the strangest was having to back a guy called "Mr Methane". I don't think you need too long to figure out what his act is :) And just to prove what a small world it is, a friend (a fellow BCer - andytill) who stands in for me now and again in my band is Mr Methane's nephew. I must dig out some of the old videos and get them on YouTube for a laugh. The only real downside was having to lug all the gear up about 120 stairs to the recording studio at the top of the building. It was a listed building so they couldn't install a lift.

I really enjoyed the Bass Day here.....great to have it on my doorstep. And nice to hear some nice words about Manchester from someone out of town. It's not a bad place overall, just gets some bad press now and again. Sure, it's got its bad parts, but hasn't everywhere? In fact, thinking back.....the day the bomb went off in Manchester was a pivotal part in bringing about the Manchester we have today. I'd hate to say it was a "good" thing......something like that never can be, but Manchester's a much different place today to what it probably would have been had that not happened.

Me & Andy will be coming to the North West Bass Bash, although I'll have to leave a bit early as I'm gigging that night.

Cheers,
Pete.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='134927' date='Feb 6 2008, 12:13 PM']In fact, thinking back.....the day the bomb went off in Manchester was a pivotal part in bringing about the Manchester we have today. I'd hate to say it was a "good" thing......something like that never can be, but Manchester's a much different place today to what it probably would have been had that not happened.

Cheers,
Pete.[/quote]

Its an ill wind as they say
I heard the bang (was in the garden in Middleton)
some friends of mine were rehearsing in Chets which suffered some damage they were slightly deafened for a while, the bizarre thing was a hole was blown in the floor and a violin came flying through it followed by a very confused looking tutor... although he used a more conventional method of entry ..... the door.
Manchester is a great city, I lived there for 10 years and it has a fantastic music scene and some of the country's finest musicians and indeed bands.
Jake

Edited by jakesbass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='ianrunci' post='142265' date='Feb 18 2008, 03:36 AM']Welcome form another Manc chap, well almost anyway I live in bury now which I suppose is virtually Manchester

Whats all this about a North West bash anyway?[/quote]
A couple of threads about it on Sunday 16th March.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12830&hl=north+west+bass+bash"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...+west+bass+bash[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=12567&hl=north+west+bass+bash"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...+west+bass+bash[/url]

Why not bob along. If you're thinking of taking any gear, let "jwbassman" or "ped" know.

[quote name='ianrunci' post='142265' date='Feb 18 2008, 03:36 AM']Welcome form another Manc chap, well almost anyway I live in bury now which I suppose is virtually Manchester

Whats all this about a North West bash anyway?[/quote]

MB1. :)
Virtual Manchester?

Hello Sir!....... greetings from MB1.......Mancunian born and bred!

Edited by MB1