Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Might be getting myself ....

cris the man

Cris,

Only you know the answer to that!!!!!

Old Horse Murphy just bought a 25 yr old Ric for £1600 and that was really cheap (for what it is).

If you can affford it and it does what you want, then yes its worth it.....

Are there other less expensive basses that can achieve what the Ric can.....? YEP!

Search your soul and wallet and you'll find the answer......

Oh and BTW those guys dont get that sound just with the Ric, they have very accomplished backlines as well... (probably custom made for them by their endorsers!)....

IF you like Burton's tone, dont forget that pretty much after the first album he put the rickenbacker into retirement.
If you watch cliff em all you'll see a couple solo's on the ricky and it sounds alright but nothing compared to the solo on the more modern basses.
Also I can tell you now.. they are hard work to play.

But then again they are insanely coooooooool.

Its your choice, but make sure its the right one.

I think they are defo worth it but i would say that cause i have one!
I get a great growling tone from mine but you do have to muck around with EQ to get it bassy and ballsy enough for heavy stuff.
i got mine for just over £800. :)

Edited by 16Again

[quote name='16Again' post='94087' date='Nov 25 2007, 12:10 PM']I think they are defo worth it but i would say that cause i have one!
I get a great growling tone from mine but you do have to muck around with EQ to get it bassy and ballsy enough for heavy stuff.
i got mine for just over £800. :)

[/quote]

if your bass was single
i would marry it :huh:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='94083' date='Nov 25 2007, 11:58 AM']Cris,

Only you know the answer to that!!!!!

Old Horse Murphy just bought a 25 yr old Ric for £1600 and that was really cheap (for what it is).

If you can affford it and it does what you want, then yes its worth it.....

Are there other less expensive basses that can achieve what the Ric can.....? YEP!

Search your soul and wallet and you'll find the answer......

Oh and BTW those guys dont get that sound just with the Ric, they have very accomplished backlines as well... (probably custom made for them by their endorsers!)....[/quote]

ah right

cleverclogs :)

[quote name='metalmaniac' post='94085' date='Nov 25 2007, 12:05 PM']IF you like Burton's tone, dont forget that pretty much after the first album he put the rickenbacker into retirement.
If you watch cliff em all you'll see a couple solo's on the ricky and it sounds alright but nothing compared to the solo on the more modern basses.
Also I can tell you now.. they are hard work to play.

But then again they are insanely coooooooool.

Its your choice, but make sure its the right one.[/quote]

yeah
but he only used alembic spoiler or an aria forester
not a big fan of aria
alembics are too classy for a lovable rogue like me :)

and besides , Cliff used a 4001
the 4003 has improved

Edited by cris the man

Definitely one of those basses that you should try before you buy to see if it suits your playing and sound.

There's nothing worse than buying a particular bass just because it's cool to own and be seen with one or because someone famous used to play one but knowing deep down after playing it that it's just not suitable for you.

As everyone else has said you must give a Ric a good bashing before you go for it
I've got a 4003 and a Fender P and find myself swaying between the two

YES the Ric is the coolest bass in the world BUT the neck and sound wont suit everyone
also the lack of body contour can be quite uncomfortable on the right forearm

[quote name='Adee' post='95204' date='Nov 27 2007, 05:38 PM']As everyone else has said you must give a Ric a good bashing before you go for it
I've got a 4003 and a Fender P and find myself swaying between the two

YES the Ric is the coolest bass in the world BUT the neck and sound wont suit everyone
also the lack of body contour can be quite uncomfortable on the right forearm[/quote]

mmmmmm
i think the only problem with it is as i fingerpick the pickup is too low for me to keep my thumb comfortable

but i think that if i can learn to cope with it , then no bass should be a problem