Why become a member? ×

Tweeters....

Conan

I'm finding the tweeters in my two Ashdown MAG 410s a wee bit on the aggressive side, and was wondering if it is possible to disconnect them without affecting the impedance of the cab or the functioning of the ten inch drivers?

There is no tweeter control on the cabs - they are permanently in the "on" position!

I did this job yonks back with my Peavey 410T cabs.. the best thing by far is to completely disconnect the crossover, so all the signal just hits the main speakers. Sounded much better for my taste, but that's me.. now I'm on a EA 112CXL which has a tweeter that I leave about half way up.

[quote name='Conan' post='854470' date='Jun 2 2010, 09:07 AM']Are they wired separately to the speakers or is it one complete circuit? Would disconnecting the tweeters stop the speakers receiving current? Should they be bypassed? :wacko:[/quote]

Depends on how your cabs are rigged, mine just had a series circuit, the tweeters were wired in from the tabs on the main speaker (only a 1x15) so I could do the job nicely with a set of wire-cutters. Your 4 x 10 could prove more problematic.

Open them up.

I would check the impedance of the speaker first, then if there is a circuit board on there, then remove the wires to the speaker and to the jack and wire directly from speaker to jack. If there is no circuit board but the tweater is a piezo + capacitor, just take it out of the circuit.

Should be fine...

Nicely! Good chortle on a slow morning!

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='854550' date='Jun 2 2010, 10:24 AM']Tweeters - can they be disconnected?

I deliberately avoid contact with anyone who tweets so the answer must be yes.[/quote]

Tweeters with a crossover (which can be as simple as a capacitor inline with the tweeter itself) will make no discernable difference to the impedance that the amp 'sees' if you disconnect the tweeter. It is very unlikelt that a tweeter will be running in series with the woofer speakers. This is not a normal method of configuration, thus,by disconnecting the tweeter terminals, will not stop the woofers from working. If you are unsure, refer the work to a qualified individual :)

[quote name='Conan' post='854462' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:57 AM']I'm finding the tweeters in my two Ashdown MAG 410s a wee bit on the aggressive side, and was wondering if it is possible to disconnect them without affecting the impedance of the cab or the functioning of the ten inch drivers?

There is no tweeter control on the cabs - they are permanently in the "on" position![/quote]
Should be no problem disconnecting the tweeters, as others have commented - what about leaving one of the two cabs with tweeter connected to tone down the effect?
Alternatively, you could add a switch to connect them in and out, or even an on-off-on switch with a series resistor (eg 15 ohm) connected for one of the 'on' positions to reduce tweeter output level.
A suitable (wire wound) potentiomenter is the other option for adjusting level, but it needs reasonable power capacity so as not to burn out (ditto for series resistors)