Why become a member? ×

Thinking of going back to using Ashdown bass heads...

For about a year, I used an Ashdown EB180-18 Combo paired with a P Bass I modded the living hell out of

Use to gig the pair together week in, week out and absolutely loved the tone from it
But when I got hard up for cash, I sold EVERYTHING apart from my beloved Tobias bass (18th Birthday present, serious sentiment levels)

After I got money again, I got the Trace Elliot head and Marshall cab

Don't get me wrong the Trace Elliot is one of the best bass amps I've ever used but when ever I watch old videos back of when I was in my old band, I can't help but go "ohhh, I do love that bass tone..."

Basically, is there an Ashdown out there with a 12 Band EQ slider on it?
Or are there any Ashdown heads you guys can recomend that will give me a really thumpy low end and a real trebley punch?

I know you guys are in the know on this sorta thing so let me know!
Stevie.D

MB1. :)
Hello Stevie
Ashdown Labs do an MK 575 with a 12 band graphic eq (theres also 30 gold ones been made for level 42s 30th anniversary..doubt that would interest somehow :rolleyes: )..there are also Gold AL AD600 and a AL 1000 models still knocking about on the second hand market.
Think you might have posted this in the wrong area :lol:

Edited by MB1

Ashdown rocks!

Any ABM head will do the job but if you are looking for the EB180 combo again then, Mev Taylors music shop Edinburgh has one, Chris, who owns the shop, is a great guy and will do his best to make you happy.

[url="http://www.mevtaylors.co.uk/"]http://www.mevtaylors.co.uk/[/url]

andy

ps, should have said; it is in great condition and sounding fabby!

Edited by andy67

Hmmm, I'd be thinking perhaps Ashdown MAG series for the head and then consider something brighter than their stuff cab-wise? And run it through an EQ pedal?

I've never really 'got' the Trace sound, for me it has never fit with what I'm after (stupid low-end) but I've heard many Ashdown players extract GREAT tones out of MAG series stuff and even better from the ABM. I have to point out that I had some awful problems with Ashdown gear, but have know players that have had nothing but good stuff to report.

MkV Trace AH250.
Controlled bottom end, rather than Ashdown 'loudness button' lower mid lift.
Real power supply, too!
An ABM 500 only beats it if you get the vol past 7 - and who ever goes there?
Max bang-for-buck - I can do one for £300 delivered.

Saying that, I heard a first series Mag300 that was OK.
Ashdown lesson: stick to the old stuff (Evo1 et al).

Im hearing alot of good things about the Mark King 575 head...
Think I might have to go and give one these a spin and see what I can get from it.

I'll eventually (within a month or 2) be housing whatever head I do end up with (whether it be the Trace Elliot or an Ashdown) in a case with the Korg DTR2000 tuner, DBX160 Compressor and pair of Sennheiser wireless kits so all in all, i'm hoping it will be a good little rig

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='852293' date='May 31 2010, 01:26 AM']For about a year, I used an Ashdown EB180-18 Combo paired with a P Bass I modded the living hell out of

Use to gig the pair together week in, week out and absolutely loved the tone from it
But when I got hard up for cash, I sold EVERYTHING apart from my beloved Tobias bass (18th Birthday present, serious sentiment levels)

After I got money again, I got the Trace Elliot head and Marshall cab

Don't get me wrong the Trace Elliot is one of the best bass amps I've ever used but when ever I watch old videos back of when I was in my old band, I can't help but go "ohhh, I do love that bass tone..."

Basically, is there an Ashdown out there with a 12 Band EQ slider on it?
Or are there any Ashdown heads you guys can recomend that will give me a really thumpy low end and a real trebley punch?

I know you guys are in the know on this sorta thing so let me know!
Stevie.D[/quote]

ASHDOWN MK500 is basically like an old Series 6 GP12 Preamp (My opinion the best) You can get any type of tone you want from it From Steve Harris to Mark King. It uses a massive (over spec) torriodal transformer so has got a big dynamic range, so it never runds out of low end juice, just like the old traces. check it out. Its not for the faint heart though its flipping loud, if i wasnt a rack mount geezer these days I would go for one.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='865306' date='Jun 12 2010, 04:04 PM']Hey Dan, The Mark King 500 model is available as a Rack Mount head just so you know
Thanks for the advise, I am definately going to try one of these out now
No doubt about it. So much good feedback about them[/quote]

Edmouk is selling one on here it looks mint want 570euro for it looks mint. Selling it cause its too loud he he. Check out the picks esp on the back that meaty power supply is almost poking out the back!