Why become a member? ×

Can i do this???

fatgoogle

I was wondering whether it would be possible to put 4 drop tuners on a 4 string bass, so i could chnage the tuning from EADG-ADGC.

I was also wondering would strings be able to handle this, being brought up that much expecially an e string, would lighter gauge strings work better here.

Also with drop tuners can go 3 ways so on the E string could i brin g it up to A and then drop it to D If i wanted to or is it only possible to go within one tuning.

Thanks
Sam H

Its theoretically possible (see Michael Manring as the most obvious example) but most basses don't have enough room on the headstock to fit four. You would need to buy a custom. I've seen a pic online of an Elrick with that configuration and the headstock was pretty oversized. You can only have two tunings per detuner, there's no middle position as it were.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='851875' date='May 30 2010, 03:45 PM']Its theoretically possible (see Michael Manring as the most obvious example)[/quote]
Remember that Manring uses a Carbon Fibre necked Zon bass - I don't know how successful it would be on a wooden necked bass.

It could be possible if you used something like a standard Fender headstock but replacing the massive Kluson pattern machines with something more compact, like Schaller Y patterns. You'd have to have the holes sleeved down (not much of a problem), but tuning the entire neck up that much would definitely produce a big bow in the neck, as well as putting quite a strain on the strings. Manring doesn't use his Hipshots to transpose the whole neck - just a tone or so here and there. If you want to extend your range you'd be better off with another string or two :)

[quote name='RhysP' post='851886' date='May 30 2010, 03:59 PM']Remember that Manring uses a Carbon Fibre necked Zon bass - I don't know how successful it would be on a wooden necked bass.[/quote]
As far as I recall the chap who had the Elrick with four detuners found it OK, but it was some time ago. I certainly think adding a string or two is a better and easier way to go!
[quote name='Johnston' post='851909' date='May 30 2010, 04:38 PM']I seen a bridge for guitars the other day that let you have 3 up to 3 tunings per string. Same idea as the hipshot tuners just the other end.

Maybe be worth seeing if something similar available for bass. I think it was on the hipshot site but not 100% sure.[/quote]
That would be the Hipshot [url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=9"]Trilogy[/url].

edit- found some info on the Elrick I was talking about: [url="http://www.bryanrtylermusic.com/elricksinglecutfretless.html"]link[/url] and [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259964&highlight=elrick"]thread on TB[/url] about it. Note the bloated looking headstock...

Edited by velvetkevorkian