Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

paperclip trades, bartering etc

basshead56

Recently been sorting out all my GAS issues and nearly all has come from some very lucky dealings and trades.

For example- I paid 325 euros for a Fender 400 PRO head-traded it for a Marshall TSL100 head and 1960A cab- traded that for a VBA400 halfstack (fully cased)- no money along the way.
Also, bought an old Trace Elliot 8x10 combo thing (no idea what it was) for 300 euros-traded it for a Mesa Boogie 400+, a week later, sold it for a very good price bought an Ampeg amp and a 2nd US made BSE410HLF, with a bit of change left.
Traded some nice basses: a) one of my Precision Lyte´s for a Gibson Thunderbird Studio V (my only 5er)
:rolleyes: two Fender MIM basses for a 78 Precision (still can´t believe that one!!!)

and sold a few (CIJ 70´s RI Precsion, CIJ Mustang and MM SUB) with the intention of using some of the cash for one more bass.

Recently got my hands on a US made 4PRO, so traded on my other Ampeg and Phil Jones Briefcase and got a Musicman Stingray out of it :)
Now today have sorted a trade of my T-Bird Studio V for a US made 610 HLF in a live -n roadcase so I can run the 4 PRO in Mono-Bridge mode! :lol:
And the last bass I buy for a long time (see the link in my sig) I think I have sused-a nice, cheap Gibson T-Bird Studio...IV :lol:

I think I am, hand-on-heart, done.

Anyone else having a good run of things lately with trades etc?
I find that trading seems to be more and more popular these days, what with the ´R´ word and all that...
Is bartering the new shopping?

Back in the days of Musical Exchanges in Birmingham, a chap was part ex-ing an early 60's Hofner President against something more modern. M.E. were offering him £125 for it, so I offered £150 and walked out with it. eBayed it a couple of years later for £700...

I do have a problem with buying stuff from BassChat and selling it back to BassChat for a profit, though. I'm not knocking anyone who does this, but I don't feel comfortable with selling it back for more than I paid for it. Is that just me? Outside of BassChat, everyone is fair game for my profiteering though!

Edited by tredders

the best story i have is of a mad geezer who used to come into the music shop i work at

he started off with a 1500 pound martin guitar...

swapped it every week with us, and various other music shops, and eventually ended up with a guitar worth 50 quid.

Saying that, i've been through some serious kit recently, made an enormous loss, but im still fighting! ha.

Anyone want to trade me something for my Ironbird? :)

Trades don't appear to be working for me, in the world of bass as in any other - I think I need some of this magic to rub off on me!

I did manage to invest five hours of my time this week in support a colleague, to receive not one, but [i]two[i/] responses - I got [b]f***[/b] and [b]all[/b] :rolleyes:

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='849027' date='May 26 2010, 11:14 PM']Same really, my current bass rig cost me roughly £250. The epiphone JC only cost me £250.

However I would still like to know where Basshead finds these people?[/quote]

It is sort of strange.
Most of the people I deal with over here are either people just looking for a change or, like the guy I bought my Oly White 78 P from-
Don´t really know what they have.
He was selling it as an 87 and was convinced he was right. Go it for a song, even though I told him once I´d met up to have a look at it. But the fact that it was the week before Christmas and I had travelled to the other side of the country (for a gig) obviously influenced his decision.

The Trace Elliot/Boogie 400+ one was very weird.
Had gotten this huge monster of a thing that I couldn´t bring to gigs and scared the sh*t out of the guitarists with, next to my old Fender 400 Pro rig. So decided to advertise it for sale in a nationwide ads paper. No luck shifting it for months and I had given up and then this guy from the other end of the country rings and said he needed a big bass amp for a studio he had built. He said he didn´t have any money but could offer me a few trades. I said sure and he left hs house within the hour. 5hours later he arrives (round 12 at night) with a van load of bass stuff.
He had a pearl Vorg ric copy but the neck was wonky, a Gibson Sg bass (old) and a 400+-did a straight swap for that, despite the obvious difference in cost-value is a different matter!
Didn´t get on with the 400+ at all, so shifted it rather quickly, for a tidy sum indeed-got an Ampeg and a few other bits with some decent money left over!

Guess Ireland is just a rather lucky place to be when it comes to equipment :)

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='basshead56' post='849285' date='May 27 2010, 11:41 AM']It is sort of strange.
Most of the people I deal with over here are either people just looking for a change or, like the guy I bought my Oly White 78 P from-
Don´t really know what they have.
He was selling it as an 87 and was convinced he was right. Go it for a song, even though I told him once I´d met up to have a look at it. But the fact that it was the week before Christmas and I had travelled to the other side of the country (for a gig) obviously influenced his decision.

The Trace Elliot/Boogie 400+ one was very weird.
Had gotten this huge monster of a thing that I couldn´t bring to gigs and scared the sh*t out of the guitarists with, next to my old Fender 400 Pro rig. So decided to advertise it for sale in a nationwide ads paper. No luck shifting it for months and I had given up and then this guy from the other end of the country rings and said he needed a big bass amp for a studio he had built. He said he didn´t have any money but could offer me a few trades. I said sure and he left hs house within the hour. 5hours later he arrives (round 12 at night) with a van load of bass stuff.
He had a pearl Vorg ric copy but the neck was wonky, a Gibson Sg bass (old) and a 400+-did a straight swap for that, despite the obvious difference in cost-value is a different matter!
Didn´t get on with the 400+ at all, so shifted it rather quickly, for a tidy sum indeed-got an Ampeg and a few other bits with some decent money left over!

Guess Ireland is just a rather lucky place to be when it comes to equipment :)[/quote]

That's it. There is probably a lot less people with a lot less high end gear to trade with, or sell anything onto some one wants to pay a nic price for it.

That guy with 78 P. What a fool. Probably just thought he was getting 2 basses for 1.
If I could find someone selling fender 400 pro for 325 I would snap that up.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='849313' date='May 27 2010, 12:10 PM']That's it. There is probably a lot less people with a lot less high end gear to trade with, or sell anything onto some one wants to pay a nic price for it.

That guy with 78 P. What a fool. Probably just thought he was getting 2 basses for 1.
If I could find someone selling fender 400 pro for 325 I would snap that up.[/quote]

that was the other 78-the siennaburst one.
I think his point at the time was that it´d be easier to shift two cheaper basses than one expensive.
Can´t argue with that logic- :rolleyes:

The 400 Pro was one wicked amp. The Semi-para EQ section was amazing.
I had the one with the fender rack tuner built in. miss that amp a bit actually. If I could find a(nother) cheap one, I´d buy it again as a back up, in a heartbeat! :)