Why become a member? ×

Marshall Jackhammer for bass

MaGrOtTeN

Hey peeps!

I am looking to see generally what people think of using guitar pedals for bass, and what experiences you might have had.

At the moment, I am using a Marshall Jackhammer.
I am quite happy with the sound - the frequency contour helps control the lows - but I get a loud pop everytime I stomp on the switch.
Would this be a power issue, (I use a powerbank) or is it to do with the fact that it's a pedal made for guitars?

Any advice appreciated from you wise basstards! :)

Matt

The fact that it's a pedal originally intended for guitar should make no difference in terms of it popping when you engage it, so that won't be the problem. It could be due to the power supply I suppose, could also be due to the switch in the pedal, which I would imagine is not of the highest quality.

Edited by cm261

gwreetings wrotter. Does it make the pop on guitars as well? Do you have the gain set quite high? Is it louder than your clean sound when it's on? Have you tried it with batteries? Do you have full batteries in the bass? Does the PSU work OK for other pedals?

Sorry for all the questions (and my drunken texting at the weekend).

[quote name='cheddatom' post='846478' date='May 24 2010, 01:37 PM']gwreetings wrotter. Does it make the pop on guitars as well? Do you have the gain set quite high? Is it louder than your clean sound when it's on? Have you tried it with batteries? Do you have full batteries in the bass? Does the PSU work OK for other pedals?

Sorry for all the questions (and my drunken texting at the weekend).[/quote]

I haven't tried on guitar - but I have tried it with another power bank through a different amp.
It still pops when the gain and volume are right down.
Yeah the PSU is ok with others.

I should really stick a battery in it and try again.

Also - I risk making a tit of myself here.
I have a passive bass, so it did not occur to me that it would have a concealed battery department in the rear!

And your texts are always welcome, drunken or sober :)

heh, it's a passive bass with an active pre-amp. Mine's 18V I don't know if yours is too. You need 2 batteries if so.

I'll go and have a listen for a pop on my jackhammer tonight and let you know. (I bought one recently, really enjoying it on bass).

It's the switch. A lot of cheaper pedals 'pop' when they are engaged. It's like the power surge you get when you turn a light bulb on at the switch, there is a voltage peak. I think it's that voltage peak that disrupts the signal, not a major issue unless it's really loud and jarring.

I've only really noticed these pops with OD/distortion pedals. More expensive an well made pedals incorporate a dampening thing ma jig so ty don't pop.

Edit: guitar pedals with bass or vice a versa, means nothing. Just because my bass limiter says bass on doesn't mean I can't use it to compress a guitars signal and verywell. With guitar I prefer using bass pedals (wish there was more) as they have a broader frequency range, the other way round though the issue comes with how well the pedal retains the lows, some struggle to keep anything as low as 100hz.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Primebass - I use a jackhammer and an echohead without pops - and this is with a LOT of compression after.

[quote name='burno70' post='851772' date='May 30 2010, 12:37 PM']I'm lookin for a new dirt pedal - does this one do 'hair of dirt' or is it quite saturated?

Cheers[/quote]

It does both. It has OD and Dist modes - very useful IMO and pretty cheap.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='853270' date='Jun 1 2010, 09:05 AM']Primebass - I use a jackhammer and an echohead without pops - and this is with a LOT of compression after.

It does both. It has OD and Dist modes - very useful IMO and pretty cheap.[/quote]

Thanks mate

[quote name='TomKent' post='852020' date='May 30 2010, 07:10 PM']I used a blues-breaker on my bass once, the bottom end suddenly disappeared. Guess the frequencies aren't made for bass.[/quote]

i use a bluesbreaker in a loop with a EQ pedal boosting the bass and it sounds brilliant! i do agree that you can lose low end if your clean sound is fairly bassy, im using a rickenbacker and quite a trebly tone so i get away with using the bluesbreaker even without the bass boost pedal.