Why become a member? ×

Bonnie Raitt Tab Request

Mykesbass

OK, I know a lot of tab requests on here get met with "listen to the track & work it out for yourself" type comments, well, I've tried and I've failed so I'm asking for help. I'm trying to work out the bass line for "I Can't Make You Love Me" - I've got the intro and verse where the bass is quite distinct, but I just can't hear all of the chorus. Anyone with better ears than me already worked it out?

Thanks,
Mike

I'll have a look tonight, as I picked up a load of random Guitar Pro files from a workmate. You never know.

Ultimate Guitar and Fretplay have the chord progression, which would help you transcribe the remainder - though I guess there's a question of whether you want note perfect, or (like me) you're happy with your own version of the cover.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='846242' date='May 24 2010, 09:14 AM']OK, I know a lot of tab requests on here get met with "listen to the track & work it out for yourself" type comments, well, I've tried and I've failed so I'm asking for help. I'm trying to work out the bass line for "I Can't Make You Love Me" - I've got the intro and verse where the bass is quite distinct, but I just can't hear all of the chorus. Anyone with better ears than me already worked it out?

Thanks,
Mike[/quote]

I'd have to check out the video...but it is tricky especially as the piano part doesn't return to the key in any easy format.

any good..?? hope I can reproduce this here

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bonnie_raitt/i_cant_make_you_love_me_crd.htm"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bonn...love_me_crd.htm[/url]

This would be enough for me...and you can fill in any slides or whatever..
I would think Hutchinson would play this on fretless but I think that would be a cliched approach, IMO

These are the bass notes. Some of these are root and some are a harmony to the chord ie 4th. This was a quickie, so there may be errors! Verse 2 and second chorus vary slightly. Hutch Hutchinson (bass) adds passing notes in the second verse and stretches out in the last chorus and the outro.

Harping back to some previous BC topics; songs like this are why you need a bass with very good tone and sustain!

Intro:
Eb G | G Eb | Eb D | G C |
Eb G | G Eb | Eb D | C ||

Verse 1:
Eb G | G Eb | Eb D | G C | 2/4 C |
4/4 F | F D |

Chorus:
Eb Bb | Eb | Eb Bb | D Eb |
G Eb | A G | G Eb | A G |
C | F | Eb Bb | Eb |
1st

Verse 2:
Same

Chorus:
same
2nd
Rpt Intro

End on Ab

[quote name='chris_b' post='846399' date='May 24 2010, 12:01 PM']These are the bass notes. Some of these are root and some are a harmony to the chord ie 4th. This was a quickie, so there may be errors! Verse 2 and second chorus vary slightly. Hutch Hutchinson (bass) adds passing notes in the second verse and stretches out in the last chorus and the outro.

Harping back to some previous BC topics; songs like this are why you need a bass with very good tone and sustain!

Intro:

Verse 1:
Eb G | G Eb | Eb D | G C | 2/4 C |
4/4 F | F D |

Chorus:
Eb Bb | Eb | Eb Bb | D Eb |
G Eb | A G | G Eb | A G |
C | F | Eb Bb | Eb |
1st

Verse 2:
Same

Chorus:
same
2nd
Rpt Intro

End on Ab[/quote]

Thanks Chris, will work on this tonight - the beauty of this is that he doesn't stick to the chord progression (certainly not the roots). Yes, will test the mettle of both me and my new vmj fretless to see if the sustain holds up!