Why become a member? ×

First rehersal with my old band in 13 years..

Having been persuaded to reform for a one off gig in october,we finally got round to actually rehersing.I haven't done much basswise in all those years,and it was certainly an interesting experience.The upside is I can still play at 360+BPM,and my callouses are not a problem.The downside is my fretting fingers aren't as supple as they used to be,(I'm 47...) and my Fender needs a new jack socket,and the drummer (who ironically is the one who's been playing in the time off) still can't keep time!
Anybody else had this long a lay off?

My old punk band The Ex-Boyfriends split in January 1998 & we managed 2 rehearsals in March 2010, so a year behind you Spike. The guitarist remarked that he was the only one with the same original guitar... I remarked that I was the only one with the same original wife!

Not a good idea to reform, even for a reunion, mostly, IME.

If the guys have been busy in that time, then you'll likely have met up before on a gig at some point,
but if they haven't played hardly at all...I'd steer well clear and it would be a recipe for ..I was going to say disaster, but
maybe dissapointment is a better word.

I recently did a 20th anniversary so the older players that they used through that time came out to play.
I wasn't there at the beginning of the formation but the old muso turn out was quite good..
Unfortuately, the playing wasn't and the name of the band is still working, so this was not at ALL helpful if seeing them for the 1st time.
Nice idea and sentimental and all that...but a musical flop...

If it is fun and a joke, then ok...but beware...

Yep, done it after some 15 years, was childless at the previous gig and turned up with my two teenage lads as personal roadies while the singer/guitarist had bred four in the meantime!

Just reminded myself of (most of) the tracks from cassette tapes - took a while to find a player! - the night before, turned up and away we went! Only a three piece but the guitarist and myself still had the same guitars - even the PA was the same!

Great fun, another 3 years have passed.

[quote name='JTUK' post='846292' date='May 24 2010, 10:07 AM']Not a good idea to reform, even for a reunion, mostly, IME.

If the guys have been busy in that time, then you'll likely have met up before on a gig at some point,
but if they haven't played hardly at all...I'd steer well clear and it would be a recipe for ..I was going to say disaster, but

I recently did a 20th anniversary so the older players that they used through that time came out to play.
I wasn't there at the beginning of the formation but the old muso turn out was quite good..
Unfortuately, the playing wasn't and the name of the band is still working, so this was not at ALL helpful if seeing them for the 1st time.

If it is fun and a joke, then ok...but beware...[/quote]

Although a little downbeat, I tend to agree with JTUK here. You have to bear in mind different people want different things. If everyone sees it for what it is and is coming from the same angle then it's fine / good fun, anything else and you may open up a can of worms.

One thing nobody has said is everbody looks so much older (grey / bald / fat etc) but has fantastic kit! :)

Did this at the end of last year with my old band, we split back in '93 cos the drummer could never make it to gigs and kept cancelling...
So we're all set to go for Halloween, back home in the Palladium in Bideford, day before, drummer rings up, he is ill, we are not doing the gig now. Some things never change.
We did end up rescheduling it and did it in February instead, but half the people who would have made it in October (some people had come back from upcountry especially for it) didn't bother this time.
Many comments were made about me still playing my now legendary "Sh*tocaster" and asking why I still don't own a decent guitar. Mean, just mean.

Was kind of fun just playing guitar again if I'm honest.

[quote name='JTUK' post='846292' date='May 24 2010, 10:07 AM']Not a good idea to reform, even for a reunion, mostly, IME.

If it is fun and a joke, then ok...but beware...[/quote]

We've all been playing constantly since 1997,myself largely studio bound and the drummer touring Europe with a punk band,the Guitarist/vocalist moving 200 miles away. I'm not expecting anything from this,but it was nice to play at live volume levels rather than through a pair of Sennheisers.We shall see.