Why become a member? ×

P bass Pickguards

HeavyJay

I'm in the process of pimping up my old warhorse Squier P Bass and one of the things I want to change is the pickguard to a tort one. I've used WD Music before for replacement pickguards for a couple of my stingrays and they've been fine but this one doesn't seem to be the right shape.

WD Music have 3 variations of P Bass scratchplate and the only difference I could see was the number of screw holes so I carefully counted and the one that matched was the Mexican standard so I ordered that one.

When I arrived I took the old one off and laid this one on the bass but it didn't fit in a few places: the "neck pocket" bit was too narrow, the bit that should cover the control cavity didn't and the holes for the pickups had rounded edges that didn't accommodate the square edges of the pickups that were there.

I had assumed that all P basses were pretty much uniform in shape. Is this the case and the pickguard is just badly made or are there specific pickguard varieties for Squiers or do P Basses come in all shapes and sizes?

Any help and advice is gratefully received.

Well I have recently bought a very jazzy pickguard for a Squier Jazz bass from these funky people in Canada: [url="http://greasygroove.com/"]http://greasygroove.com/[/url] I specifically told them this was for a Squier and not a Fender, they told me that if it didn't fit with the holes that I could have sent it back for a full refund including postage.

This is the pickguard I ordered and received:

The good news is that it fitted the Squier perfectly:

but it also fitted on an original American Fender Jazz bass that a friend of mine had. so it does fit both Squier and Fender, perhaps the Squier Classic Vibe have adopted the exact same size as the american Fender because as I've said it fitted fine.

Then I also ordered a perloid pickguard for my other Squier Precision and that also fitted both my Squier and another American P-Bass so I say go for it, these people seem to have got it right

Edited by Grand Wazoo

The screw holes will be all in the wrong places on any Squier, relative to a Fender Mex or USA. Fill and redrill is your only recourse (and possibly some judicious alterations around the neck pocket/pickup holes of the pickguard) if you want to fit the one you bought. Not much you can do if it doesn't quite cover the control cavity though.

I managed to fit a Mex pickguard to a Squier body, but had to fill most of the existing screwholes and drill new ones, and there was a position where the control cavity would be filled (just), but it left a small gap at the heel of the neck.

The alternative would be to get a copy made of the existing Squier one, there are a few places which will copy a pickguard for you. That at least ought to be a reasonable match.

[quote name='neepheid' post='846279' date='May 24 2010, 09:58 AM']The alternative would be to get a copy made of the existing Squier one, there are a few places which will copy a pickguard for you. That at least ought to be a reasonable match.[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Any recommendations for places that would do a custom one from my current template?

[quote name='danny-79' post='846372' date='May 24 2010, 11:37 AM']GW, gotta ask, what inspired the ??? moo jazz bass ??? , great stuff anyways[/quote]

I always fancied a bass in a cow pattern, I was going to do a bongo like that but i though, if it goes pear shape I'd rather c*ck up a cheaper bass than an expensive one.

I am pleased with the result :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='846463' date='May 24 2010, 01:14 PM']I always fancied a bass in a cow pattern, I was going to do a bongo like that but i though, if it goes pear shape I'd rather c*ck up a cheaper bass than an expensive one.

I am pleased with the result :)[/quote]

It does look good, especially how the pattern lines up perfectly with the PG, just thought it was interesting looking, especially with the pink PU covers
But as far as doing it to a Bong goes i agree with you not doing it :rolleyes: but the Bongo is the kind of body shape that would carry it off, its the kind of body shape that will carry pretty much any colour or design off on it, but at the same time.... looks better on the Jazz :lol:

[quote name='danny-79' post='846497' date='May 24 2010, 01:56 PM']It does look good, especially how the pattern lines up perfectly with the PG, just thought it was interesting looking, especially with the pink PU covers
But as far as doing it to a Bong goes i agree with you not doing it :) but the Bongo is the kind of body shape that would carry it off, its the kind of body shape that will carry pretty much any colour or design off on it, but at the same time.... looks better on the Jazz :rolleyes:[/quote]

Well check out my mock up draft of the Bongo I designed in photoshop... if I was going to do it right, it would have looked the bollox

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='846693' date='May 24 2010, 05:39 PM']Well check out my mock up draft of the Bongo I designed in photoshop... if I was going to do it right, it would have looked the bollox[/quote]
You should go for it. It would be world famous. :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='846693' date='May 24 2010, 05:39 PM']Well check out my mock up draft of the Bongo I designed in photoshop... if I was going to do it right, it would have looked the bollox[/quote]

That looks the business!!!
More/bigger black spots on a silver background rather than white
yeah that defiantly has novelty value thats for sure
(one of them crazy idea's that you would never of thought about) But perfect for playing "Mootown" style music with :)

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='danny-79' post='846714' date='May 24 2010, 06:11 PM']That looks the business!!!
More/bigger black spots on a silver background rather than white
yeah that defiantly has novelty value thats for sure
(one of them crazy idea's that you would never of thought about) But perfect for playing "Mootown" style music with :)[/quote]

If you liked the Moo-ngo, then you're gonna love the other designs I made:

[b]The Dino Ferrari[/b]

[b]The Desert Storm[/b]

[b]The Spec Ops[/b]

[b]The Urban Camo[/b]

[b]The Tomato Soup[/b]

[b]The Seafoam Green[/b]

[b]The Emerald Pearl Green[/b]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='846815' date='May 24 2010, 08:03 PM']If you liked the Moo-ngo, then you're gonna love the other designs I made:[b]The Dino Ferrari[/b]
[/quote]

F1 ! you have my attention (very off topic but hay...) (so thats two things beginning with the letter "F" that I'm not a major fan of) but i never said i didn't like or appreciate either lol
nice work all around !! Loved the "moo-ngo"!!!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='846815' date='May 24 2010, 08:03 PM'][b]The Dino Ferrari[/b]
[/quote]
you know you won't be able to play this one in the EU? my may have to change a sponsor's logo into a barcode or something...