Why become a member? ×

Trans Orange 4 string StingRays

iconic

I'm looking at secondhand StingRays and have whittled my wanted list down to the Trans Colours and No1 is the Trans Orange with the white pearl eliptical pickguard...but I don't really know too much too about the different types out there and don't want to buy a lemon, I normally only ever buy new.

Can anyone give me a brief LadyBird Guide to Stingrays....only interested in 4 strings.

What years am I restricted too for Trans colours...Are they all active? 2 and 3 EQ?....didn't '90's have issues with pre-amps or is this pub talk, are later ones better, what to look for in general? Are there thin necks/big necks, you know the usual.

any help very welcome

[quote name='iconic' post='842785' date='May 20 2010, 08:17 AM']I'm looking at secondhand StingRays and have whittled my wanted list down to the Trans Colours and No1 is the Trans Orange with the white pearl eliptical pickguard...but I don't really know too much too about the different types out there and don't want to buy a lemon, I normally only ever buy new.

Can anyone give me a brief LadyBird Guide to Stingrays....only interested in 4 strings.

What years am I restricted too for Trans colours...Are they all active? 2 and 3 EQ?....didn't '90's have issues with pre-amps or is this pub talk, are later ones better, what to look for in general? Are there thin necks/big necks, you know the usual.

any help very welcome[/quote]

Trans colours have been around for a long time. Sunbursts and Naturals have been around since day one. Trans red and Trans Teal in the mid 80s. Other colours came about in the 1990s, but some are fairly rare, like trans green and trans white.

I believe they were an option with either the 2 or 3 band or with the piezo pickup.

Necks are fairly chunky... They're more P bass profile and string spacing, but a narrower string spacing more akin to J basses was originally available as an option. They're rare though.

Some people have trouble with the preamps in that there can be uneven response across the strings. I found that this seemed to be dependent on the amp I was using, and that a flatter eq setting on the bass was more desirable (the temptation is to boost everything, which isn't always the best idea).

They now also come with a few extra options such as a neck pickup (H or S) and fancy tops (expensive). Also there is now a vintage reissue that is more like the 1970s instruments.

There are some early 80s instruments that have dodgy necks. But by and large they're usually good.

They're usually fairly heavy, although some of the late 80s four bolt instruments are lighter.

What he said, except I have found Stingray necks to be slim from front to back. A feature in fact.

The 80s dodgy neck thing applies to some pre-EB basses where some political wranglings between the factories put meant some necks were put out with flat truss rods. You'd be very unlucky to get one of these, there were 1,000 necks like it, not sure how many made it to a body, many have been rectified in the meantime (EB would still do so at no cost) and I would suggest most of the rest are in the US. If it wasn't that this made them eventually unplayable I would say it added great historic interest!

Pre-EB basses are expensive as Leo himself was still around for most of this period but they are massive sounding instruments. However the trans orange wasn't around then. EB has made every attempt to improve them over the years rather than dumb them down. Ernie is an enthusiast with little other interest as opposed to a corporate (such as CBS or Gibson) takeover. There are some cuts, such as plastic instead of chrome battery covers. However, some of the early 90s basses have very nice looking birdseye maple necks.

Going for a trans colour means its more likely you'll get a choice bit of wood for the body. Whether this will actually sound any better is another thing!

There are very few duff Music Man basses, they are one of the most reliable products you'll find. You won't go wrong. I used nothing but my Jaydee for 25 years, got myself an '80 Stingray in January and haven't picked the Jaydee up since.

The 2 band eq is, apparently, set up to sound like the original basses, the 3 eq gives more versatility.

One thing you might check is the relative volume of the G string, some have found this to be lacking. Mine's ok, but its as close to the G string as it can go but its not a problem.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='843068' date='May 20 2010, 12:58 PM']Pre-EB basses are expensive as Leo himself was still around for most of this period but they are massive sounding instruments. However the trans orange wasn't around then. EB has made every attempt to improve them over the years rather than dumb them down. Ernie is an enthusiast with little other interest as opposed to a corporate (such as CBS or Gibson) takeover.[/quote]

Just a slight correction...

The guy in charge of EB is Ernie's son, Sterling Ball. He was involved in Musicman from the beginning when the prototype Stingrays were being tested, and bought out the company when it fell into hard times and went under in 1984. Ernie Ball passed away in 2004.

The only thing I would add is that the 3 band eq isn't better than the 2 - it's just different. You are best to have a go with both and see which you prefer.

I can reiterate that you won't go far wrong with a StingRay. I've tried all sorts of stuff but pretty much come to the conclusion that there isn't anything else.

They're not perfect though.... on all that I have tried the overall output is surprisingly low (I simply cannot light the peak light on either of my amps whatever I do) although it doesn't really matter unless you swap basses around. The "quiet G string" is no myth but I think it's more a function of the overall sound of the bass than a fault per se. They are much more about frightening small children with low-end grunt and the higher strings get a bit lost. The SR5 is, strangely, much better in this respect.

many thanks guys, great replies et al.

...this quiet G string thing, I'm getting into slap now and always thought these StingRays were a great funk bass...doesn't this weak G limit popping or is this not an issue I would notice

again, many thanks?

[quote name='iconic' post='843154' date='May 20 2010, 02:28 PM']many thanks guys, great replies et al.

...this quiet G string thing, I'm getting into slap now and always thought these StingRays were a great funk bass...doesn't this weak G limit popping or is this not an issue I would notice

again, many thanks?[/quote]

It absolutely doesn't limit popping.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='843085' date='May 20 2010, 01:08 PM']Just a slight correction...

The guy in charge of EB is Ernie's son, Sterling Ball. He was involved in Musicman from the beginning when the prototype Stingrays were being tested, and bought out the company when it fell into hard times and went under in 1984. Ernie Ball passed away in 2004.[/quote]

Apologies, you are absolutely right, of course, thanks. Typing too fast. Sterling was an employee at MM at the time.

The only thing is personal preference - Maple Neck!

Also you should know about Gav's site: [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/[/url] (if you didn't already)

Is that orange bass LIKE the one you're after or have you found it for sale? If the latter then I'm definitely with Duarte, go for it, its wonderful! (be even better with a maple fingerboard!)

Let us know how you get on.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='843253' date='May 20 2010, 04:16 PM']Is that orange bass LIKE the one you're after or have you found it for sale? If the latter then I'm definitely with Duarte, go for it, its wonderful! (be even better with a maple fingerboard!)[/quote]

It's one of Bovinehost's.

...it's probably worth mentioning that trans Orange is not one of the most common colours and the OP might have difficulty finding one in the UK. Transatlantic sales aren't as attractive as they were a couple of years ago either.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='843260' date='May 20 2010, 04:22 PM']...it's probably worth mentioning that trans Orange is not one of the most common colours and the OP might have difficulty finding one in the UK. Transatlantic sales aren't as attractive as they were a couple of years ago either.[/quote]

Sure you wouldn't like a 5.....
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10021511324431"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=10021511324431[/url]

Not as pretty somehow. There's a few trans-red 4s doing the rounds. Also very easy on the eye.http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10021511324431

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='dlloyd' post='843267' date='May 20 2010, 04:28 PM']Might be worth sending a PM to Higgie...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19115&st=20&p=470846&#entry470846"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry470846[/url][/quote]

+1

Higgie's trans orange is a beaut!

Edited to add:
I will concede that this post wasn't motivated purely by altruism. :)

Edited by HeavyJay

[quote name='dlloyd' post='843267' date='May 20 2010, 04:28 PM']Might be worth sending a PM to Higgie...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19115&st=20&p=470846&#entry470846"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry470846[/url][/quote]

Sold to me a few weeks back unfortunately :)

It's an awesome bass and the trans orange looks completely different depending on the light conditions.

In case a 5 takes your fancy, until recently the SR5 was technically a Sterling - same pickups and electronics, switching etc until the 5 string Sterling came out and they modified the SR5 to include the correct Stingray gubbins.

I've never had a bad Stingray, I'm just not into them right now - if you want the king of Stingray trans colours then you want a 30th Anniversary, complete with mahogany body - none more growlier than this beast.

Not really thought of trans orange before this thread but now I'm getting hooked.

Say, Iconic, have you bought one yet? Surely you don't need any more recommendations?

Funnily enough, in a little Google on it I can find lots of trans orange Sterlings, fretless and 5s but not a 4 string Stingray. If you order one, make it an HH. Oh, and without the matching head.

<climbs out of dream to get back on with work>

Edited by 4 Strings

haven't got one yet...we are finally moving house this week after buying a probate house, been 6 months of hell...some free advice, they maybe cheaper but really it isn't worth the hassle if you like a quiet life...anyway StingRays :rolleyes:

....I suggested I sell the VMJ and BB414 to fund the StingRay and get myself down to 1 bass, but my wife doesn't want me sell any of the basses...she isn't very happy that I sold my first RBX-374 and the red BB614, she actually like to see them around the house, something about nice looking furniture, guess I'm lucky like that :)

[quote name='waltsdog' post='843936' date='May 21 2010, 11:04 AM']Sold to me a few weeks back unfortunately :)

It's an awesome bass and the trans orange looks completely different depending on the light conditions.[/quote]

This is True! I had a trans red SR5 at the time too, and the amount of times at a gig I was playing, and I look down and due to the lights the bass looked red, I thought I'd brought the wrong bass! Haha!

I still want first dibs when you come to sell that baby! Nicest Stingray I've ever played...Just wasn't using it and needed a 5 String again!