Why become a member? ×

Great service from Thomann

Clarky

Last week I bought a Rockbag for my T'bird (the hard case is too heavy to schlep everywhere) and a set of Pyramid Gold Flats. As I was winding the 'E' string on to a bass it snapped. Feeling rather miffed (never having snapped an E before) I emailed and asked how I get a replacement for the string.

A few days later and they have sent me not one string, not one pack, but two packs of Pyramid Flats (retail value over £60). They didn't want anything back, not the broken E nor the unused A-G strings from the original pack.

Now that is fine customer service and should be applauded

Edited by Clarky

I've bought a number of things from Thomann and when I had a problem with a Brian Moore guitar they took it back without question. It was collected the same day and a replacement arrived the next day. Needless to say I was super impressed!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='842797' date='May 20 2010, 08:31 AM']I've no doubt their customer service is excellent. But so is their ability to put small shops out of business with their ridiculous pricing.[/quote]
Thats a bit harsh. I bought the gigbag and strings from Thomann as I could not source them from a UK retailer. They do have a very broad range that is not on offer at any UK shops or online retailers.

Plus if you look at most basses, say a Fender Am Std Precision Thomann are actually more expensive than UK retailers (£960 vs £899 at GAK and SoundsLive), albeit this is probably due to the disadvantageous Euro/sterling rate.

[quote name='Clarky' post='842804' date='May 20 2010, 08:45 AM']Thats a bit harsh. I bought the gigbag and strings from Thomann as I could not source them from a UK retailer. They do have a very broad range that is not on offer at any UK shops or online retailers.

Plus if you look at most basses, say a Fender Am Std Precision Thomann are actually more expensive than UK retailers (£960 vs £899 at GAK and SoundsLive), albeit this is probably due to the disadvantageous Euro/sterling rate.[/quote]

I'm sick of trying to match their prices over the years. There are lots of smaller music shops going under lately.

75% of my non food shopping is done online. In particular, music goods. The closest music store is still a £3.20 bus ride, unless I want to walk for an hour and half, and then it's overpriced and doesn't have items in stock. The strings I usually use they only stock 5 string packs, and they are £32 in there. So then I take a 20 minute walk to the other side of the town centre and still get charged £25 a pack. On eBay the sam strings are less than £20.

It's not just though, there used to be a foxes music 5 minutes away, I needed a hard case for my epiphone dot studio, they took my name and number and told me they would order one and to come next week 3 weeks and 3 visits later still no case. I went online I paid the bit extra that GAK had advertised and after 2 weeks it didn't arrive and they sent me another one no questions, later the other arrived.

Online stores offer a better value and a broader range. How can I go local when the nearest local one is longer 20 minute car ride.

At the end of the day a retailer can sell a product for whatever they want to, but it's frustrating, as a shop needs to make a certain mark-up to survive. Last week I was asked to price match Thomann on a Boss Me-50B at £173. Roland have ensured that shops advertise all their products at the same price online, which has worked well, but the retailer will still reduce that price.

We have had to stop doing Yamaha keyboards because of silly pricing. We were lucky to make 10% profit on a £2000 Clavinova trying to match the likes of Normans, etc.

Good news for the buyer, I have to admit. Worrying for the likes of me.

[quote name='Clarky' post='842533' date='May 19 2010, 09:08 PM']Last week I bought a Rockbag for my T'bird (the hard case is too heavy to schlep everywhere) and a set of Pyramid Gold Flats. As I was winding the 'E' string on to a bass it snapped. Feeling rather miffed (never having snapped an E before) I emailed and asked how I get a replacement for the string.

A few days later and they have sent me not one string, not one pack, but two packs of Pyramid Flats (retail value over £60). They didn't want anything back, not the broken E nor the unused A-G strings from the original pack.

Now that is fine customer service and should be applauded[/quote]

This is one reason ive always championed Thommans. Ive never had anything but outstanding CS from them. And thier 30 day no quibble money back guarantee makes me feel safe knowing i can order from them and send it back if i dont like it. Its not something i would intentionally though but when spending a lot of money its nic eot know you wont be out of pocket if you don't like it.

The dont seem to be as cheap as they used to be though (i know, its the exchange rate) but they do seem to stock a lot of higher end gear that other shops would have to get in.

There was a thread on here last year that said they were thinking about opening a superstore in the UK, i dont think that ever happened.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='842815' date='May 20 2010, 09:05 AM']At the end of the day a retailer can sell a product for whatever they want to, but it's frustrating, as a shop needs to make a certain mark-up to survive. Last week I was asked to price match Thomann on a Boss Me-50B at £173. Roland have ensured that shops advertise all their products at the same price online, which has worked well, but the retailer will still reduce that price.

We have had to stop doing Yamaha keyboards because of silly pricing. We were lucky to make 10% profit on a £2000 Clavinova trying to match the likes of Normans, etc.

Good news for the buyer, I have to admit. Worrying for the likes of me.[/quote]

Unfortunately Pete.... some people think that being the cheapest is good value..... People moan like f*** about Tesco's stores popping up everywhere but still shop there rather than go to their local.... Musicians are the same

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='842824' date='May 20 2010, 09:29 AM']There was a thread on here last year that said they were thinking about opening a superstore in the UK, i dont think that ever happened.[/quote]

I believe they have secured warehousing in the UK..... no store front..... YET!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='842832' date='May 20 2010, 09:43 AM']Cool, do you know where in the UK?[/quote]

No.... Somewhere in the North but no-one has confirmed where yet....

The guy that was tasked to run the UK operation, Rupert, was Ex Turnkey but he has since set up his own recording studio. Thats the last I heard.

when i got my Fender P5 a couple of years ago i looked at all the online websites for shops over here. most were advertising it but non had it in stock. when i called to see if they could get hold of one i was told yes, but i would have to pay up front and couldn't return it (even if i came in to the shop to play it) as it was a special order. 5 shops told me this. To be honest i was pretty annoyed. All we advertising it and non had it marked down as a special order.
so much for customer service (no offence Pete and no, i didnt call your shop)
All were a bit cheaper than Thomanns but in the end i went with them as they had it in stock.

When i had to get Thomanns to order in a second Lakland for me (which they did very quickly, and i still had the first one waiting to go back) there was no issue with sending it back. They even called me to see how i was getting on with both and to take my time deciding what to keep.
what a difference. I realise my experience is probably not the norm though but its one that makes me want to deal with them again.

sorry, rambling again.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='crez5150' post='842836' date='May 20 2010, 09:47 AM']No.... Somewhere in the North but no-one has confirmed where yet....

The guy that was tasked to run the UK operation, Rupert, was Ex Turnkey but he has since set up his own recording studio. Thats the last I heard.[/quote]

Cheers. Up north means i'll still need to use their website :-(

[quote name='crez5150' post='842826' date='May 20 2010, 09:34 AM']Unfortunately Pete.... some people think that being the cheapest is good value..... People moan like f*** about Tesco's stores popping up everywhere but still shop there rather than go to their local.... Musicians are the same[/quote]

Guilty as charged, m'lud. :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='842861' date='May 20 2010, 10:07 AM']Well that's where the Warehouse is reportedly...... so not sure where the shop would be.....[/quote]

Ah, good point although i would expect them to be in the same building. guess we will find out one day.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='842807' date='May 20 2010, 08:51 AM']I'm sick of trying to match their prices over the years. There are lots of smaller music shops going under lately.[/quote]

Its a shame shops are going under but with internet sales so big these days i would have though that the shops could be shut down but the business could still trade on line.
Thats the the Bass centre did (love em or hate em).
I think companies that change with the times are the ones who will survive. Not that i know anything about running a business.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='842871' date='May 20 2010, 10:14 AM']Its a shame shops are going under but with internet sales so big these days i would have though that the shops could be shut down but the business could still trade on line.
Thats the the Bass centre did (love em or hate em).
I think companies that change with the times are the ones who will survive. Not that i know anything about running a business.[/quote]

Well... some think that.... but the music game is a funny business.... look at Sound Control.... Turnkey.... Arbiter.... Reverb.... to name a few recent demises.