Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Vigier Passion IV, French Custom Shop Bass £470

Shockwave

Hey guys.

Just aquired this in a trade. However something has just come up on Ebay and i want it!

I was going to refinish the bass in the original colours, sort out the electrics, maybe install some humbuckers. I already have another custom shop bass rebuild on the go with the Pedulla, not sure i can sort this one as well!

Heres a breakdown of the bass!

[size=3][b]Description[/b][/size]

Here we have a beat up example of a Vigier Passion IV bass, Graphite neck thru, made in 1986 with an early serial number.

[size=3][b]Specification[/b][/size]

Red/black finish, what appears to be maple and graphite neck/body. Original Vigier pickups and Pre-amp. Schaller 3D bridge and Schaller tuners. All hardware is black. 34" Scale, ultra thin neck.

No case or gig bag.

[size=3][b]Functionality[/b][/size]

The pre-amp board is A-OK there is no problem with it in itself Voltmeter checks out fine. One of the pots is broken and needs replacement. The twin 9V battery connections are fine and ground is intact. Both pickups work well and have decent signal. They run quite hot in the grind/growl stakes. The knobs should be replaced. The switches work, though i am not quite sure what the mini switch does. I have cleaned all of the electronics with some electrical cleaner.

My overall recommendation for the electronics would be to replace all the pots. It still works as is. Just not as well as it could!

[size=3][b]Playability[/b] [/size]

The action is f***ing amazing. See the photos below for an idea! Very little to no fretbuzz.

[size=3][b]Sounds[/b][/size]

Unsure due to the state of the electrics. However both pups are working and produce a grindy/growl. There are many Youtube clips online you can look up. My fave being.

[size=3][b]Condition[/b][/size]

The body as you can see needs a refinish. The carbon fibre neck and body join is not damaged at all and needs no servicing. There is only one chip in the wood that i can see, which is next to the neck pickup, the rest are paint chips. There is a few dings on the headstock but i cant pick them up on camera! The black hardware is in good condition, i have tightened the tuners and cleaned the bridge. No problems there! The frets are quite flat as per usual for a vigier and with little wear. The nut is solid and needs no attention.

[size=3][b]Price/Trades[/b][/size]

£470 FIRM Cash is king, bank transfer also, Paypal.... meh, can do it, but dont like it!

No Trades

[size=3][b]Delivery[/b][/size]

Honeslty i want this bass picked up from Bristol. Either at the train station or my flat. I have exams and moving house within the next week, i doubt i have time to post anything and i dont have a case to put it in anyway! [b]If there is no other option i will post.[/b] Buyer pays postage.

[size=3][b]Other information[/b][/size]

If you require any other information or specific photos of the bass, please let me know either by PM or my E-mail address Anubispearl [AT] hotmail.com, My number is also available for serious buyers.

[size=3][b]Photos:[/b][/size]

[b]The Bass does come with Knobs, but are a bugger to get onto the pots. [/b]

I dont think theres anything left to say about it! Its taken me about 2 hours to look it over and that is my honest appraisal. It needs work but after it will be an amazing bass. Bags of potential! A custom shop french bass, for not alot of money!

[quote name='Jam' post='841642' date='May 19 2010, 05:39 AM']Goddamn if I was back in the country sooner I'd consider this. I played one of Ped's and it was beautiful.[/quote]

Aye, both of his are wonderful! This one has the same playability and low/lazy action.

[quote name='Lorne' post='841882' date='May 19 2010, 11:51 AM']If I had the cash it would be mine,Vigier are GREAT basses,even if they are French,but alas,too many projects,too little money,best of luck mate :)[/quote]

I know you got cash in your attic/behind the sofa ;-) Thanks for the kind words!

[quote name='Dubs' post='841890' date='May 19 2010, 12:03 PM']A re-finish in black. Mmmmmmm...[/quote]

C'maaaaaaaaaannnnnnn! You know you want it! Where else can you get get a graphite neck thru , all schaller hardware, and famous Vigier pickups/electronics for this cheap!

Its just a little cosmetically challenged.! Stop torturing yourself baby!

[quote name='Lorne' post='841882' date='May 19 2010, 11:51 AM']If I had the cash it would be mine,Vigier are GREAT basses, [b]even if they are French[/b],but alas,too many projects,too little money,best of luck mate :)[/quote]

You'll probably find a lot of French bass players on Basschat, so I don't think this kind of language is appropriate.
Thanks,
V.

Edited by valere24

What on Earth has been done to the neck, specifically the area between the pick-ups and the base of the neck?
Why is it a whitish colour? are Vigier S2 necks woven carbon fibre wrap over Epoxy cores like Status?
If so, and some one's "removed" the wrap, it may be problematic.
How did it get in this state? It looks better in the clips.

I'd love an S2 4 string...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='842252' date='May 19 2010, 04:56 PM']What on Earth has been done to the neck, specifically the area between the pick-ups and the base of the neck?
Why is it a whitish colour? are Vigier S2 necks woven carbon fibre wrap over Epoxy cores like Status?
If so, and some one's "removed" the wrap, it may be problematic.
How did it get in this state? It looks better in the clips.

I'd love an S2 4 string...[/quote]

Its whitish colour because thats the wood! The Carbon fibre neck thru goes through to the back but there is a wood top. The Carbon fibre has no problems. No structural neck problems at all. All thats removed from the original finish is red and black paint.

The clips arent the same bass... Those are just examples of what the Vigier passion bass can really do.

I have no idea how it got in this state considering i mentioned i only obtained it just recently.

[quote name='valere24' post='842205' date='May 19 2010, 04:15 PM']You'll probably find a lot of French bass players on Basschat, so I don't think this kind of language is appropriate.
Thanks,
V.[/quote]

:)

Just an old joke between two countries. I Love anything French personally, I have a love affair with Citroen and enjoy French food - and their basses of course!

This looks like a great bass. FWIW when I got my fretted bass it was just a 'shell' - neck and body - to which I added my own pickups, electronics and GK system. Graphite basses are superb, but the graphite is only half the story - it's all about the interaction between the wood and the neck, how the two work together and resonate (In my opinion) and Vigier simply nailed it with these series 2 basses. They sound very smooth, fat, growly, clean and supple! Hard to describe but what a great project for someone.

ped

BTW it's a series II, not a series IV, which is the current range. If you give me the serial number I'll tell you when it was made.

Sound clips of mine available in my sig - I go for a smoother cleaner sound, personally. Despite the closeness of the pickups they are extremely versatile sounding basses.

ped

[quote name='ped' post='842260' date='May 19 2010, 05:03 PM']BTW it's a series II, not a series IV, which is the current range. If you give me the serial number I'll tell you when it was made.

Sound clips of mine available in my sig - I go for a smoother cleaner sound, personally. Despite the closeness of the pickups they are extremely versatile sounding basses.

ped[/quote]

1986 Sn is shown in the pics #213

[quote name='supabock' post='842273' date='May 19 2010, 05:14 PM']Is it possible to show some pics of the back of the bass where the neck heel joins the body. There is a large amount of lacquer or paint/ combination which blends into the neck, can you close up on this??[/quote]

I will when i get back from uni in a couple of hours.

I was concerned when looking at that too, the paint however easily flakes off and does not affect the neck finish at all. The paint does not blend into the neck finish. So easy removal is possible.

Mmmm I'd love to get another and do it up with the same bits I have done on mine, have it as a spare!! Or am I being silly? To be honest I don't fancy trying to get another Roland GK system from Roland UK after my full on mission last time!!!

As I say though, a cool project!! Buy it!

[quote name='Shockwave' post='842253' date='May 19 2010, 04:59 PM']Its whitish colour because thats the wood! The Carbon fibre neck thru goes through to the back but there is a wood top. The Carbon fibre has no problems. No structural neck problems at all. All thats removed from the original finish is red and black paint.

The clips arent the same bass... Those are just examples of what the Vigier passion bass can really do.

I have no idea how it got in this state considering i mentioned i only obtained it just recently.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I thought the whole centre section would be carbon/graphite.
Vigiers are superb.
I still love my S3 Passion 14 years on. Me Status runs it close, though!

[quote name='valere24' post='842205' date='May 19 2010, 04:15 PM']You'll probably find a lot of French bass players on Basschat, so I don't think this kind of language is appropriate.
Thanks,
V.[/quote]

Now Shockwave has sold his bass (Congrats Bro-and too the buyer) I'll answer this

Firstly,there was NO kind of "language" used,in the U.K. "kind of language" means swearing

Secondly,as Ped said,it is a long running joke between both countries

But,if you were offended then I apologise

Er, steady on there! That was my bass and it didn't end up like that through mistreatment! The finish had started to come off when I bought it. That was a common problem with early Vigiers due to the gel type finish they used and the ding in the body came about through a ham fisted drummer who dropped a tom on it whilst packing his gear away, so go and sadden yourself with something else!

[quote name='thodrik' post='841635' date='May 19 2010, 03:26 AM']It really saddens me to know that a Vigier has been mistreated in such a way! Good luck with the sale, its a great price even considering the damage.[/quote]

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='842670' date='May 19 2010, 11:22 PM']Er, steady on there! That was my bass and it didn't end up like that through mistreatment! The finish had started to come off when I bought it. That was a common problem with early Vigiers due to the gel type finish they used and the ding in the body came about through a ham fisted drummer who dropped a tom on it whilst packing his gear away, so go and sadden yourself with something else![/quote]

I've seen worse

Vigier guys,do NOT read any further,we'll let you know when you can open your eyes

Back around 1991/92,there was a local band in plymouth with a bass player who thought he was a rock star (More than the other idiots in the band),he once tried to borrow my Yamaha Attitude LTD!!!

Anyway,the band were filming a video for one of their songs in a recently built swimmming pool/concert place,they were using the swimming pool.The guitarist,wisely made a P.O.S. guitar up out of spare parts for the videlo,the bassist,Yep,you guessed it,jumped straight on into the chlorined pool with the Vigier,electrics still on board and all :)