Why become a member? ×

I got myself a CV Squier....!

cameltoe

[quote name='cameltoe' post='839168' date='May 16 2010, 07:54 PM']The Jazz was staggeringly heavy compared to the CV, and after having balance and comfort issues with the fret king this was a major drawback to me. It sounded GREAT with those duncan pickups, but I easily prefer the sound of a Precision over a Jazz, so that didn't really help me. Another thing that put me off were the block inlays on the neck. These seem to have been drawn on in felt tip, as well as two lines running the length of the neck on the top and bottom respectively.[/quote]

You have just described the finest looking neck you can get, no neck finer than maple with black blocks and binding.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='839394' date='May 16 2010, 11:34 PM']You have just described the finest looking neck you can get, no neck finer than maple with black blocks and binding.[/quote]

Oh absolutely..... if done well. But this did look like it had just been drawn on with felt tip.

If anyone is interested, there is one of these going on eBay (I have already posted the link in the correct section) but in case you've missed it, here is the link:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88304&st=0&gopid=839455&#entry839455"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry839455[/url]

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='839394' date='May 16 2010, 10:34 PM']You have just described the finest looking neck you can get, no neck finer than maple with black blocks and binding.[/quote]

I have to completely disagree with that statement.

I've bodged together a new wiring kit out of some CTS pots and stuff I had lying around... The job will be completed properly once I decide on a new pickup. One question though, since the new pots have a fatter shaft, what do I do about the control plate and knobs? I guess I could drill the control plate to allow the shaft through, but I'm gonna have to source some knobs from somewhere. Suggestions?

[quote name='cameltoe' post='839776' date='May 17 2010, 02:18 PM']I've bodged together a new wiring kit out of some CTS pots and stuff I had lying around... The job will be completed properly once I decide on a new pickup. One question though, since the new pots have a fatter shaft, what do I do about the control plate and knobs? I guess I could drill the control plate to allow the shaft through, but I'm gonna have to source some knobs from somewhere. Suggestions?[/quote]

[url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2179"]http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/index...;productId=2179[/url]

Ah good work.

Now I just have to get a pickup.

I've emailed Wizard to see if they do any single coil P pickups, not sure if anyone has already pursued this?

Otherwise it's going to have to be a choice between the Lollar and the Seymour Duncan QP.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='839415' date='May 17 2010, 12:11 AM']Oh absolutely..... if done well. But this did look like it had just been drawn on with felt tip.[/quote]

That's strange mine is of a real high quality, also I have 2 basses with maple and blocks 1 is finished and 1 isn't, I prefer the unfinished but I guess it's horses for courses.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='840434' date='May 18 2010, 01:41 AM']That's strange mine is of a real high quality, also I have 2 basses with maple and blocks 1 is finished and 1 isn't, I prefer the unfinished but I guess it's horses for courses.[/quote]

I have heard that some of the earlier VM squier Jazzes had real block inlays, so maybe you got lucky?

This wasn't a great job- like I said, it was just drawn on with ink.

The neck was OK, and one of the best I had played that day, but the blocks and binding looked very tacky- like an afterthought.

I'm not against unfinished necks, I love them, but it felt too much like there was still work to be done on it.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='921736' date='Aug 11 2010, 04:19 PM']My CV Jazz, wearing Wizard 64 pickups, Schaller straplocks, and La Bella Black Nylons, weighs in at 8.9lbs[/quote]
Very helpful, thanks.

Not that much lighter than my P, which at 9lb 2oz I can't seem to play all night any more.

Maybe I should just go to the shop and try a few out but it's finding that right combination of good sound an weight. I don't believe that the two are linked IMO.

nice bass and good choice mate. I used to own this bass with couple of mods done to it. I sold the same bass at the end because i need to keep the numbers down etc. What I done to the bas was the following:

1) The stock pickup was ok but not the best so i change it to the seymour duncan pickup and it sounded fantastic after that.
2) I change the strings to flatwound to give me that old school and moto sound. I use D'Addario chrome because personal taste.
3) I left the thumb rest in stock position, but i installed a set of fender 50's precision bridge and pickup cover so it look really vintage. By doing that i can rest my thumb on the pickup cover and play on my favourite position.