Why become a member? ×

G&L Trib Vs Stingray

bassmeg

[quote name='JTUK' post='839695' date='May 17 2010, 12:39 PM']The G&L is the ugly but more verstaile one. I'd want to get away from humbuckers on every sound, if it were me.

MM is a classic...but as someone else said...you have to love that sound all the time.
If it were me and between only those two..then the MM[/quote]

Agree on all points.

Just throwing in something irrelevant.... it's surprising how big a difference in sound there is between my StingRay 5 and StingRay 4, never mind between them and the G&L. Fair cop though, they all possess that distinctive "big humbucker" sound. Hence owning a couple of P-Basses for a bit of contrast. I should probably add a Jazz but I never really got on with them :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

solo'd maybe the L2000/Asat can be a bit aggressive but in a band setting/mix they come into their own imo. my only complaint is the series v parallel outputs are not as well matched as those on a SR5/Sterling

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='839735' date='May 17 2010, 01:16 PM']Just throwing in something irrelevant.... it's surprising how big a difference in sound there is between my StingRay 5 and StingRay 4, never mind between them and the G&L.[/quote]

I love the tone of the 5. a bit more polite/subdued with less sizzle compared to the 4 . but works better from my experience with both

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='839758' date='May 17 2010, 01:46 PM']I love the tone of the 5. a bit more polite/subdued with less sizzle compared to the 4 . but works better from my experience with both[/quote]
I believe they are wired differently, hence the tone difference.

A 'Ray 4 through a Sadowsky outboard pre/DI gives it a lot of warmth. Still cuts but a rounder tone.
Shove it through a Yamaha NE para doo-dah and there is another load of possibilities.

I don't agree that a 'Ray is a one trick pony, you just need to learn to ride it different ways.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='839758' date='May 17 2010, 01:46 PM']I love the tone of the 5. a bit more polite/subdued with less sizzle compared to the 4 . but works better from my experience with both[/quote]

Seeing as you have one... where does the Bongo sit in all this?

[quote name='WalMan' post='839262' date='May 16 2010, 09:11 PM']Don't know about Tribs, but I love my US L2500's.[/quote]
I love your L2500 too - 18mm spacing, very tempted. Very nearly bought a 2000 Trib after trying Stingrayfans, then bottled it & got a Spector. A 2500 is high on the [i]must get soon [/i]list .

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='839802' date='May 17 2010, 02:57 PM']Seeing as you have one... where does the Bongo sit in all this?[/quote]

A lot more hi-fi sounding with more extreme EQ. plugging in the SR5 after the Bongo it feels like a fair bit of tone and volume just dropped out -[u][b] but[/b][/u] a couple of minutes with the stingray and I know why I like that bass so much. theres no messing about with it. just a great solid tone without fiddling about with EQ. I can never settle on EQ with the Bongo - I'm always fiddling with the hi and low mids. It was hard work settling on a tone the few times I gigged it but I love it for recording. Mine is an HH and imo none of the settings sound like the classic MM tone. Although It sounds great and is a lot more versatile I prefer the SR5 just because its an unfussy plug in and play bass

I'm only down the road and starting rehearsing with my new band up in glasgow in the next couple of weeks.If you ever want to audition the Bongo just give me a shout.

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='839843' date='May 17 2010, 03:53 PM']A lot more hi-fi sounding with more extreme EQ. plugging in the SR5 after the Bongo it feels like a fair bit of tone and volume just dropped out -[u][b] but[/b][/u] a couple of minutes with the stingray and I know why I like that bass so much. theres no messing about with it. just a great solid tone without fiddling about with EQ. I can never settle on EQ with the Bongo - I'm always fiddling with the hi and low mids. It was hard work settling on a tone the few times I gigged it but I love it for recording. Mine is an HH and imo none of the settings sound like the classic MM tone. Although It sounds great and is a lot more versatile I prefer the SR5 just because its an unfussy plug in and play bass

I'm only down the road and starting rehearsing with my new band up in glasgow in the next couple of weeks.If you ever want to audition the Bongo just give me a shout.[/quote]

Cheers.... I doubt one will be on the shopping list in the near future. Although one of each MusicMan products would be nice to have. So, which band are you playing with then?

[quote name='bassmeg' post='839319' date='May 16 2010, 10:00 PM']Is this the green one that was on here? I nearly had this. Gutted![/quote]Yup, it's the green one from here. Bit of a 50D IT moment before I went into hospital. Need a few more weeks off saving £70 diesel a week really to pay for it, but I got the all clear from the consultant this afternoon :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='839695' date='May 17 2010, 12:39 PM']The G&L is the ugly but more verstaile one. I'd want to get away from humbuckers on every sound, if it were me.[/quote]Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I rather like mine

[quote name='johnnylager' post='839814' date='May 17 2010, 03:20 PM']I love your L2500 too - 18mm spacing, very tempted. Very nearly bought a 2000 Trib after trying Stingrayfans, then bottled it & got a Spector. A 2500 is high on the [i]must get soon [/i]list .[/quote]Do it, you know it makes sense :rolleyes: mind that Spector is nice

[quote name='noelk27' post='839173' date='May 16 2010, 07:58 PM']The Tribute range is quite limited. There's an alternative, the Japanese built Premium range. For a Premium L2000, in addition to fretted or fretless, it's possible to specify nut width (two options) and radius (two options). In terms of list price, Japanese Premium models are roughly halfway between Tribute and US G&L prices. In terms of quality, Japanese Premium models are above US G&L models and way above Tribute models.[/quote]
Interesting that the Jap Premium L2500's are the old 4+1 tuner arrangement and presumably not string through the body, but only on the bridge as for the old US 4+1's

Anyone on here got who might be going to a southern bash sometime. It'd be interesting to compare all three side by side by side.

Mind you that looks a very expensive way to buy after doing a quick Yen : Sterling conversion on XE.com £600 for a Trib : £1,250 for a Jap & £2,500 for a US - cough!! :)

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='841199' date='May 18 2010, 06:00 PM']Duran Duran tribute. which is fine with me as I love playing John Taylor's basslines[/quote]

Saw them on TV yesterday for some reunion type thing and his bass playing wasn't shoddy at all.
They looked like they were serious with a view to a sort of comeback/relaunch unlike some other bands who just see
the money, maybe

Sorry for the tangent