Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision + amp

See this:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200471800236&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/url]

I've asked the seller for the serial number of the bass. The conversation went like this:

"Hi - some questions about your bass, please:

How old is the bass? Any serious damage (I'm not concerned about cosmetic scrapes or dings)? Is there any chance you could send me a picture of the headstock that clearly shows the serial number, please?"

"no serious damage and im not sure how old it is i bought it from a guy in salt lake city u.s. i dont really want to give the serial number out until the item is sold"

"Why don’t you want to give out the serial number until after the sale, please? The serial number means that potential buyers can verify the bass’ age and country of manufacture. If a buyer decides to keep that secret, I’d immediately be concerned."

"I have nothing to hide but ufortunately as you may well know ebay is full of scammers and if the buyer is not happy when i give them the serial number then i will re list item with no negative feedback"

"If you’re not prepared to give the serial number up front, I’m not interested in bidding. I strongly suspect that will be the case for many other people too."

"thats fine and your choice"

What's going on here, then?

Steve

[quote name='bassmeg' post='837493' date='May 14 2010, 06:54 PM']He seems to have cleared the issue up on the link. I wonder if he saw this? :)[/quote]

Ahh yes - so he has, up to a point. He still seems reluctant to give the actual serial number, though. Funny that.

Edited by solo4652

When I've sold cameras, I always blur the serial numbers on the public photos on ebay
There are many scammers around, and they will use your photos and serial numbers to con others.
However, I would give out a partial number to anyone who asked, and probably the full one privately through email.

[quote name='TRadford' post='838337' date='May 15 2010, 07:07 PM']When I've sold cameras, I always blur the serial numbers on the public photos on ebay
There are many scammers around, and they will use your photos and serial numbers to con others.
However, I would give out a partial number to anyone who asked, and probably the full one privately through email.[/quote]

Well, I have to admit, this whole are of creating clones just hadn't occured to me at all. Where does that leave us with the usefulness of serial numbers when items are being sold?

[quote name='solo4652' post='838616' date='May 16 2010, 08:32 AM']Well, I have to admit, this whole are of creating clones just hadn't occured to me at all. Where does that leave us with the usefulness of serial numbers when items are being sold?[/quote]

Personally I don't see the point of obscuring serial numbers unless there's a central registry, like with car number plates. It' would be easier enough for a scammer just to make up a serial if he understood how they worked - i.e. faking a 78 Fender with the serial S812345. They wouldn't have to know an actual number of a bass that's in existence, because nobody knows all the numbers that were used.