Why become a member? ×

Build Diary - GB Spitfire 6

pantherairsoft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Had a good chat with Bernie today and a few pics of an update! Things have moved along well, the neck is blocked and I have to say it is a stunning beast!

He has mounted and applied some white spirit to the top to give the impression of what it will look like lacquered. Before doing this Bernie was a little concerned that the bass was not going to be 'pretty' enough, however after applying the spirit he seems to of changed his mind! We are going to apply a very very fine shading around the edges to blend the top in, but overall I think the top looks great!

Neck & Fretboard

Body

Shep

3 of the most beautiful basses (My Roscoe's pretty nice as well) :-) hehe.

Yeah dude, it looks lovely. Bernie was really against the Spalted to start with and even last week as concerned that I would need it stained and coloured etc. When he called me today he was like, "well, actually, its bloody lovely".

Spalted = Win

I'm really happy with this now. Truss Rod going in today. Things are moving pretty quick!

• 5 weeks later...

Spoke with Bernie earlier today, had a good chat about bits and bobs on the phone. Bass is almost ready for the spray shop and we finalised a few details like fret markers (or lack of in this case) and GB logo colours etc.

Bernie thinks the staining on the top and headstock facing will be done by mid-next week and he'll see me photos before finalising it and starting lacquering, so fingers crossed next update will be around this time next week.

I'm told the bass should be in my hands 3-4 weeks!

Fingers crossed.

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='charic' post='965041' date='Sep 22 2010, 09:56 PM']Damn.... that guy works quick![/quote]

Yup! It was a shame to hear that the other 6 string Spitfire (A neck through) which was commissioned after mine is finished before mine though. I'm not annoyed because it 'jumped the queue', I'm annoyed because I have to edit all of my claims of 'The 1st 6 string Spitfire' thoughout the thread to 'The 1st 6 string BOLT-ON Spitfire'

:-)

Shep

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='969879' date='Sep 27 2010, 07:10 PM']I dunno if anyone has said this but you are quite lucky to be having a load of basses being custom made for you at the same time! Looks great, are you sure that neck is going to be wide enough for the pocket though? Looks a bit weird from the photo is all...[/quote]

By a load you mean 2… But yes, I am pretty lucky. This one is a 'replacement' for a Spitfire 5 that wasn't behaving though so I've actually been without a bass of mine for some time now.

I sure as hell hope the neck pocket is big enough! I'm sure Bernie wouldn't make such a silly error…. ^_^

Edited by pantherairsoft

• 3 weeks later...

Update from Bernie.

More apologies for the delays. The body and neck I've ben married up an it's all been strung and plate prior to spraying to ensure it's all lovely. No pics with The colour stain I'm afraid. It was test coloured and then cleaned off until all the work had been done but I'm assured it looks awesome.

Bernie is adding a Spalted facing to the front and rear of the headstock to match the body facing which will be done this week before it is sent back to be sprayed an finished.

Pics under neon strip light, and then under regular bulb... The bridge will be black, the silver is just for a test...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='994386' date='Oct 20 2010, 07:35 AM']Cheers bud. You should see the neck... Amazing. Hopefully more pics by the weekend, but knowing Bernie, I'd give it a week :)[/quote]

Looks like it will be being sprayed come the weekend. Bernie had another order yesterday - it looks like Spitfires are order of the season - through necks at that!

Another update from Mr Goodfellow.

Bass strung up and apparently plays amazingly!

(looks much lighter than last pics due to them being treated with Meths to emulate the lacquered look. This is how it looks 'dry')

Headstock facings to be added on Monday, then colour staining, then off to be sprayed on Thursday. Will be set up with Bernies Pickups an Pre, GB Metronome & Tuner and all black hardware (silver bridge in pic is just for the setup).

Edited by pantherairsoft