Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anyone had any experience with a Fender Classic Series 50's Precision Bass?

Hey

Basically, to cut a long story short. After buying the Steve Harris signature Precision Bass last month, I have decided to now get another Fender Precision Bass to pair up with it.

I was looking around for something that's quality, but not as expensive as the SH model and came across this
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68234"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/68234[/url]

Now, for £529, that really doesn't seem to bad to me

Alder body, 1 piece maple C neck, gold annodized pickguard and nice, thin neck profile
Admittedly, I'd swap off the bent tin Fender stock bridge for a Leo Quan Badass II but that's just how I roll :')

I'm going to go and try one out at my local Coda Music shop (if they have one in stock, they normally have about 300 Fender guitars and basses in there, so they should do) to see if it feels right to me, but yeah, if anyone's ever played one or knows anything about one then please, discuss below :)

Cheers!

The necks on the classic 50's models are really nice - The original "third of a baseball bat" design, wide at the nut, but very comfortable to play. The quality on these models seems very good too, with glossed necks/fingerboards, tall vintage reverse tuners & lovely finishes. The only criticism I had on playing one was that the pickup lacked output, but that can easily be changed with the addition of a Nordstrand, Wizard Thumper, or any number of quality split coil pickups.

All in all, a lovely bass for not much money.

50's p basses have the thickest necks i can think of, and i cant play them very easily with my small girl like hands. Not a bad bass but the pickups are naff. Also action is very high on all the ones iv played, including roadworn. But they replicate the origionals nicely :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='834861' date='May 11 2010, 11:12 PM']I have the SPB-1 in mine :)[/quote]

They are a fantastic set of pickups. I think I've been sold on the bass now haha
Just need to save up the £530 and get it ordered. Will probably just get it from a music shop and pay in installments. Seems the easiest thing to do
Keep it stock for a while until I get the parts. Well, apart from the Leo Quan as I have one spare sitting in a box under my bed with an unused mirror chrome pick guard fully wired with SPB-3 pickups. Want to swap them though, Prefer the SPB-1's

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='834823' date='May 11 2010, 10:48 PM']I'm going to go and try one out at my local Coda Music shop (if they have one in stock, they normally have about 300 Fender guitars and basses in there, so they should do) to see if it feels right to me, but yeah, if anyone's ever played one or knows anything about one then please, discuss below :)[/quote]

I have one of these and, coincidentally, also bought it at Coda Music (Stevenage). It's a 1988 MIJ model and I seem to get on with it fine.

However, since finding this forum last year I realise that I'm probably the only person in the country who has only had one bass in the last 22 years, so I'm hardly the right person to offer any advice. In fact I'm feeling embarrassed just admitting my bass history and hard-done-by in comparison with all you lot with at least have half-a-dozen each. :rolleyes:

I had one a few years ago in Black. Only sold it cos i found my love for jazz necks. Saying that it was and still is the best setup bass i've ever owned. Kinda regret selling it. Nevermind! You'll love it!!

[quote name='flyfisher' post='834876' date='May 11 2010, 11:27 PM']I have one of these and, coincidentally, also bought it at Coda Music (Stevenage). It's a 1988 MIJ model and I seem to get on with it fine.

However, since finding this forum last year I realise that I'm probably the only person in the country who has only had one bass in the last 22 years, so I'm hardly the right person to offer any advice. In fact I'm feeling embarrassed just admitting my bass history and hard-done-by in comparison with all you lot with at least have half-a-dozen each. :)[/quote]

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='834823' date='May 11 2010, 10:48 PM']Hey

Basically, to cut a long story short. After buying the Steve Harris signature Precision Bass last month, I have decided to now get another Fender Precision Bass to pair up with it.[/quote]

I haven't had experience of the bass but I'm planning to get one too. I'd also throw on a Bad Ass II and SPB-1!!

The SH P has totally changed my mind about precisions and I now must have another.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='834834' date='May 11 2010, 10:55 PM']The necks on the classic 50's models are really nice - The original "third of a baseball bat" design, wide at the nut, but very comfortable to play. The quality on these models seems very good too, with glossed necks/fingerboards, tall vintage reverse tuners & lovely finishes. The only criticism I had on playing one was that the pickup lacked output, but that can easily be changed with the addition of a Nordstrand, Wizard Thumper, or any number of quality split coil pickups.

All in all, a lovely bass for not much money.[/quote]

+1 on this.

The pick up output is low - at a recent event, my son's band followed another band, where the bass player was using a Squier - and with no changes to the amp between bands - the Squier sounded really loud, but his 50's classic could barely be heard.

The bass is really well made, and plays really well. The action can be set really low with the stock bridge.

The bridge is one of the vintage spiral groove saddle types, and as such I think it is superior to the standard bit of bent tin that seems to go on the majority of the Mex Fenders - Personally, I would leave it on.

I am tempted by the Honey Blonde one myself.

[quote name='arsenic' post='835057' date='May 12 2010, 09:29 AM']The pick up output is low - at a recent event, my son's band followed another band, where the bass player was using a Squier - and with no changes to the amp between bands - the Squier sounded really loud, but his 50's classic could barely be heard.[/quote]

That's interesting. I use an Ashdown Mag300 head and my 50s RI P-bass won't push the meter needle full-scale, even with full gain, although it's still loud enough for the gigs we play.

Would the changing the pups for Seymour Duncan SPB1s really make a lot of difference, or would it just mess up the originality of the bass?

Very nice basses.

I got my local music shop to order a couple in, and was impressed, felt much nicer to play than my mexican standard P and the neck felt much more natural to me.

I ended up buying a Road Worn that I'd played a few times before, but that's a different story.

I emailed Fender customer services just the other week to find out what pickups they used in the Road Worn series and was told they use the American Standard pickups in both the Classic '50's series and the 50's Road Worn series, so it's weird that so many people are complaining about weak pickups.

[quote name='bartelby' post='834977' date='May 12 2010, 06:16 AM']I haven't had experience of the bass but I'm planning to get one too. I'd also throw on a Bad Ass II and SPB-1!!

The SH P has totally changed my mind about precisions and I now must have another.[/quote]

Yeah, tell me about it. I always wanted a Fender P Bass, but I was going to get one just to have one in a collection, but now I want another one after the SH P and think i'm just going to stick to Fender P's from now on.
I'll get the Classic Series 50's, get the badass and spb-1's on it and go from there. Maybe have it re-finished in a few years time as well to something a bit cooler than a plain colour. For now, the black will do