Why become a member? ×

PMT in Oxford

Cantdosleepy

...and my, what a lovely bunch of guys work there! I felt welcome, played on a couple of basses (Ibanez SDGR - realised that I'm not and 'active' person, and a Squier precision with the cool old style + metal covered pickup - really nice!) had a bit of chat. I live in London and every now and again make the mistake of wandering up Tin Pan Alley. Having enjoyed the service in Oxford I know it's possible to run a busy music shop and be nice people.

So yeah, if you live near Cowley Road, go and check it out!

They are a lovely bunch for sure. I am near Oxford and went there for some help with Ableton Live, they were only too happy to set theirs all up and talk me through it all. I bought my first and second ever basses from them and they are always helpful and cheerful which makes a change.

I'm in Oxford and I always find them to be professional, friendly blokes.

Rumour has it that one of the shop assistants is the son of Mark King too...

I went in there and asked them what strings they recommended for slap, and they said "Oi (name I can't remember), give your old man a bell and find out what strings are good for slap!".

They looked at me and saw my bemused expression and then said "his dad's Mark King"

"noooooo"

"Yeah really"

So I dunno whether that's true, but if it is, how awesome is that?!

[quote name='Jam' post='91215' date='Nov 20 2007, 01:15 AM']I'm in Oxford and I always find them to be professional, friendly blokes.

Rumour has it that one of the shop assistants is the son of Mark King too...[/quote]

At risk of appearing like a total L42 geek, is that likely to be Darcy?

It was an honest question and not necessarily something deserving your scorn, people. (Thanks to Stingrayfan!)

I don't really dig "bassists' bassists" - I'd never heard of Jaco or Billy Sheehan or Wootten or Myung before I started reading forums.

In future I shall make sure I know everything.

Wasn't there a thread about basschat being 'friendly' somewhere? Doesn't include not laughing at someone asking a question?

I always tried to get a summer job there but to no avail. have you been to the Oxford Guitar Gallery? Mainly guitars there but really nice helpful staff. Really nice shop, worth a visit and a chat! Its in Summertown, next to a really nice Pizzeria.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='91322' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:55 AM']Wasn't there a thread about basschat being 'friendly' somewhere? Doesn't include not laughing at someone asking a question?[/quote]
Yeah it is a friendly place. Going "Hahahaha" is akin to being a nerd on a StarTrek forum. If you're under 30 and don't like bland MOR pop-funk, there's no reason why you should know who Mark King is. I say that as a fully "rehabbed" L24 fan from back in the day.

No, I haven't, but shall investigate.

I live in London but my 'special lady friend' has just moved to Oxford. Saturday was my first visit ("More of a Cambridge man meself," he says sniffily) and really enjoyed myself. Went to a pub called the Magdelene on Friday night that had a pub three piece cover band plying. The guitarist had a fancy Gibson, about £500 worth of pedals and a nice Vox amp. The bassist was playing a no-name P, a zoom multifx and an ashdown combo. Which sounded pretty good together, actually.

The weather was pretty grim, though. Never get that in Cambridge :)

Now now, no badmouthing Brookes!

And also, I found the workers in the Oxford Guitar Gallery or whatever it's called to be arrogant barstewards. They're rude and look down on you. One of my friends went in there, he's a guitarist in quite a big band in Oxford, I don't want to name drop.

Anyway he picked up a guitar and had a look at it, and one of the assistants said "don't pick up the guitars if you can't afford them".

So he just dropped it and walked out.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='91322' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:55 AM']It was an honest question and not necessarily something deserving your scorn, people. (Thanks to Stingrayfan!)

I don't really dig "bassists' bassists" - I'd never heard of Jaco or Billy Sheehan or Wootten or Myung before I started reading forums.

In future I shall make sure I know everything.

Wasn't there a thread about basschat being 'friendly' somewhere? Doesn't include not laughing at someone asking a question?[/quote]

Well, I had heard of Mark King before I started coming here, but none of the others you mention (and I've still not actually heard any Jaco, and have no idea who Myung is!), so don't feel bad about it in anyway.

Clive