Why become a member? ×

I have a feeling Im going to order this rather unusual yet fantastic bass...EB MM Big Al 5!

Musicman20

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='833435' date='May 10 2010, 06:46 PM']you are buying some great musicmans at the moment. this is another one imo. the wait on all three will be worth it![/quote]

Its killing my savings, although to justify I basically was going to spend around £3k on a custom Sei/Overwater for my 30th next March. In the end I knew I wanted a few different basses instead of one very expensive one. I cant really pick what I want from a custom builder, plus Im not one for really exotic tops.

I also sold my two Rays to fund the incoming two...but yep the Big Al 5 SSS will be worth it I think.

Ill update the thread when I go ahead haha.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='832145' date='May 9 2010, 01:09 PM']i love the look and sound of these basses :)

However, something really bothers me about them! and all Musicman basses!

The string spacing and pickup pole pieces never, ever match up! it just does my head in! i mean how much money/time goes into the design process? my guess is rather a lot! but they still cant get that simple issue sorted out!

The picture above really shows how bad it is, i personally like a little more attention to the design of a bass and its pickups, we could be heading for another Musicman weak G string issue here!

Rant over :rolleyes:[/quote]

My SR5 has all it's strings nicely aligned with the poles...

That Big All is a great bass. will wait for a review :lol:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='833774' date='May 10 2010, 11:19 PM']Its killing my savings, although to justify I basically was going to spend around £3k on a custom Sei/Overwater for my 30th next March. In the end I knew I wanted a few different basses instead of one very expensive one. I cant really pick what I want from a custom builder, plus Im not one for really exotic tops.

I also sold my two Rays to fund the incoming two...but yep the Big Al 5 SSS will be worth it I think.

Ill update the thread when I go ahead haha.[/quote]

and be prepared for a long wait... I'm still counting the days for mine to come

[quote name='Jigster' post='834649' date='May 11 2010, 08:16 PM']3 MM and 3 Fender - I detect a symmetry :)[/quote]

Definitely! I feel as if I have hit exactly what I want. I dont really want to fiddle with them and buy/sell anymore. I also have a maple/rosewood even ratio!

EDIT: There is an even ratio of sunburst/white as well!

Im hoping this is it for a long time, and ill concentrate on playing.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='834665' date='May 11 2010, 08:29 PM']lucky fella!

I miss my Albert lee guitar. I had it 3 years and then traded it last year against a Steve Morse Y2D. I love the Morse,just wish I could have kept the AL :)

I'll have one of the Big ALs in the future[/quote]

Lovely! Like that. Ive seen a Sonic Blue/Powder Blue one and it looks brilliant.

Get in on the Big Al club :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='833797' date='May 10 2010, 11:45 PM']My SR5 has all it's strings nicely aligned with the poles...

That Big All is a great bass. will wait for a review :rolleyes:[/quote]

the 5 string Ray's were never the problem :) thats why you never hear about the weak G string issue on their 5's

The producer guy who does judging on American Idol was playing one the other week

*checks on internet*

Randy Jackson. Can't remember who the singer was, but he was rocking out on a Big Al in her band.

This may well solve some GAS issues. It may cause some, too ;-)

PS I am forced to watch American Idol. Honest.

[quote name='angelagnostic' post='837685' date='May 14 2010, 10:14 PM']The producer guy who does judging on American Idol was playing one the other week

*checks on internet*

Randy Jackson. Can't remember who the singer was, but he was rocking out on a Big Al in her band.

This may well solve some GAS issues. It may cause some, too ;-)

PS I am forced to watch American Idol. Honest.[/quote]

Yeah, I think they made him a one off colour, and Randy is getting a Reflex as well. Lucky man!

Personally, I still think Im going to love this bass, despite its crazy looks.