Why become a member? ×

Damn, can't find that sound - Rob Trujillo's solo

Faithless

Lol. Sounds like an envelope filter into a distortion, but I can get that sort of thing with a filter driving a dirty synth on my pod, but with the synth 'envelope' right down, if you see what I mean...

I don't know what he is using on his face though

I reckon (and it is a guess) but since that backline isn't actually the amps they use live, that hes running his bass is being blended through at least 2 amps behind the stage with one really distorted and the other not. Ive always found EMGs really receptive to a lot of distortion. Plus his 'clean' tone is pretty snappy as it is.

That doesnt sound like any synth Ive heard, just a great distorted tone going through an expensive rig.

I know that Robbie is sponsered by Hiwatt, as uses a seperate guitar for the high end distortion.
I've tried this before, using a friends marshall rig and the line out from my amp, and it really pumps!
it creates a tone thats is really snarly, and flexable because of the 2 preamps!
Robbie's tone in this solo sounds like there is a bassballs filter running in fx loop.
I think he uses 3 channels on stage, which wouldnt surprize me!

when you've got 5 mins, try out the bi-amping. i found the average guitar amp sounds much better mixed in than any bass distortion fx box i've heard!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='90978' date='Nov 19 2007, 05:58 PM']Are we racist?[/quote]

No, but he does look like a monkey when he's prancing around onstage. He's a really good player, I can't fault that, but he looks so....unprofessional next to the rest of the line up at times when he's attempting to limbo his own bass.

[quote name='theosd' post='91228' date='Nov 20 2007, 09:24 AM']He seems a little desperate to show off. The solo is actually rather sloppy, especially considering he even has a beat to play to.[/quote]

Well, basically solo's good, I think it's one of the best, as many For Whom the Bell Tolls live versions I've heard.
Simply, he muffs on the beat when goes to the "upper" section - you'd hear it perfectly if you'd just take down tempo. It was because of "fast drive", you know.

And it took a bit to "take" whole solo from record, and now I'm not bad with it, but not that good - first "climbing-up" is hell :)

The only problem left is to find the damn sound.